9 weeks. Moving to USA. Need help! (cost of giving birth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt op will come back to this thread, up until last month (which was when my friend had her baby) a tourist visa was all she needed and her baby is an American citizen. I believe any baby born on us soil becomes a citizen. She did pay her full medical bills and will be going back to Africa as soon as her baby's paperwork is complete.

Op you can always PM me if you have any questions and I could always aske my friend for the full details and get back to you.

It's honestly not fair for us to assume she's trying to take advantage of free health care.
Any parent would want the best for their child depending on their circumstances. Something ad basic as being the citizen of a developed country could make a the difference to some, we take this for granted obviously cos we haven't been on the other side.

crysttal - beautifully said.

People from the US go to Canada for low cost meds and even further abroad for plastic surgery, joint replacement surgeries, cancer and infertility treatments all the time. No one throws in those individuals faces that they must be attempting to defraud other countries, or that they should instead work hard and change citizenship before being able to take advantage of their available medical services - so why here? The first question all of the above ask, just like OP did, is "how much would it cost?" Not sure where the double standard is coming from?

I see people openly encouraging women to explore the option of traveling abroad for treatment up in assisted reproduction all the time and that's pretty much always the first question addressed. This makes me wonder if citizens in the countries referenced are as judgmental about others coming in for their services, as many here have been towards someone wanting to come here for ours?

crysttal - beautifully said.

People from the US go to Canada for low cost meds and even further abroad for plastic surgery, joint replacement surgeries, cancer and infertility treatments all the time. No one throws in those individuals faces that they must be attempting to defraud other countries, or that they should instead work hard and change citizenship before being able to take advantage of their available medical services - so why here? The first question all of the above ask, just like OP did, is "how much would it cost?" Not sure where the double standard is coming from?

I see people openly encouraging women to explore the option of traveling abroad for treatment up in assisted reproduction all the time and that's pretty much always the first question addressed. This makes me wonder if citizens in the countries referenced are as judgmental about others coming in for their services, as many here have been towards someone wanting to come here for ours?

I agree with most of what you said. I believe the issue for many people is not that if this person could pay for her own care, but IF she is coming here and expecting to get care/benefits on us taxpayers. People on both sides are entitled to their own feelings and opinions. I also think maybe her age has some people assuming she could not afford the huge amount it would cost her to pay for her own care. I know there is no way I could pay out of pocket for all my bills without insurance so i think that's is a fair point. If she wants to become a citizen and be a productive member of society and pay taxes that's wonderful and I see no problem with that. It has been those who have come before and committed crimes, used and abused resources that ruined the image of that for the rest.

Just a few thoughts.
1. What about the baby's father? He is responsible for half of financial responsibility. I'm not sure about the legal aspect here but it would be worth checking out.
2. To the person who mentioned HIPPA and not having to disclose illegal status. While HIPPA does protect your private personal health information, it does not cover if your are suspected/ in the act of a crime. Fraud is a crime. While HIPPA is pretty restrictive about disclosure there are many exceptions to the rule so it's not a full blanket of protection.

I hope the OP does a lot of research and finds the best option for her and baby. Goodluck.

I agree with most of what you said. I believe the issue for many people is not that if this person could pay for her own care, but IF she is coming here and expecting to get care/benefits on us taxpayers. People on both sides are entitled to their own feelings and opinions. I also think maybe her age has some people assuming she could not afford the huge amount it would cost her to pay for her own care. I know there is no way I could pay out of pocket for all my bills without insurance so i think that's is a fair point. If she wants to become a citizen and be a productive member of society and pay taxes that's wonderful and I see no problem with that. It has been those who have come before and committed crimes, used and abused resources that ruined the image of that for the rest.

Just a few thoughts.
1. What about the baby's father? He is responsible for half of financial responsibility. I'm not sure about the legal aspect here but it would be worth checking out.
2. To the person who mentioned HIPPA and not having to disclose illegal status. While HIPPA does protect your private personal health information, it does not cover if your are suspected/ in the act of a crime. Fraud is a crime. While HIPPA is pretty restrictive about disclosure there are many exceptions to the rule so it's not a full blanket of protection.

I hope the OP does a lot of research and finds the best option for her and baby. Goodluck.

Depending on where she is from, and where father is at, the father is not necessarily responsible for anything. I do agree it would be worth checking out though.

I still don't understand how if she's paying her own way, why (and how?) is anyone worried about her taking advantage? You're right though, making assumptions and then opinions on those assumptions is everyone's right if they choose to.

I didn't have any insurance from the age of 18 when I moved out until I turned 31 and married my second husband. I managed just fine paying my medical bills as a self employed single mother of two for most of those years so maybe that's why it's not that big of a stretch to me to imagine someone else budgeting to afford their own healthcare.

If you're asked by healthcare professionals and lie about your status, then I could see how that would be considered fraud. But as far as I know that's not something even asked by most (if it's even legal to inquire about it at all? Just thinking that in terms of Arizona being the only state to allow even law enforcement officers the right to ask about status - can't imagine how docs would have the right but not law enforcement?). Even if it is asked, disclosing you are on a tourist visa or even outright illegal would not change whether you are eligible for care. Everyone is entitled to care in the United States. Maybe not everywhere, but there are places anyone can go to be seen. Being here legally, and getting care you're paying for out of pocket is no more against the law than it is when American's seek medical care abroad.

Beyond that, the mistakes of others should not dictate how we treat anyone. Especially those who have given no indication of intending to follow in ethically or legally bankrupt footsteps :thumbup:

https://i.imgur.com/agJIP.gif

I am usually highly opinionated and love a good political chat, but I am too sick and exhausted, so this will have to suffice.

I don't understand the repeated popcorn bit?

It's a conversation. Everyone here has been more than reasonable and respectful and I'm sure will continue to be.

If you have something to contribute LadyHutch, please do :shrug:

Locked pending review.

Your account is at risk if you have flamed/trolled the forum and/or it's members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->