9 Weeks Pregnant After PPROM Loss

esokatz

Reaction score
Hello All,

Almost exactly a year ago, I lost my first baby ( a boy) at seventeen weeks when my membranes ruptured prematurely. It was extremely shocking and disorienting. I had had several ultrasounds before the loss indicating he was healthy and that everything was in order with my cervix. After I miscarried, the surgeon who oversaw my D&C at the hospital told me that there was no reason to believe this would happen to me again, that these things happen and doctors can't explain why, and that nothing was anatomically wrong with me (or the baby) that would give them reason to believe I'd be a high risk pregnancy in any subsequent pregnancies.

In late July of this year, I discovered I was pregnant again (somewhat to my surprise). I've had two appointments already and my doctor found a heartbeat last week at 8weeks+3days. Around 4/5 weeks, I was swabbed and discovered I had a UTI and BV and was given antibiotics (an oral for the UTI and a topical for the BV) to clear the infections. I haven't had any symptoms recur and I did not have an infection at my last appointment.

Despite the good news, I am struggling to feel positive about the outcome of this pregnancy and am worried about the UTI & BV recurring. I suspect that an infection like BV may have been the cause of my PPROM last year, as I was not tested for it (I've since switched doctors). I think the worst thing about my experience last year was the abrupt switch in my reality — I went from believing I was having a perfectly healthy pregnancy and that everything would be great to the definite reality that I would never be able to ever get to know my son.

I think the worst fear that I have right now is a miscarriage occurring in a similar way. I convinced myself that if I lost the baby before twelve weeks, I'd be able to cope. I am terrified that the infections will recur, that the antibiotics weakened my cervix, or that just something will happen to cause me to PPROM again. Typing all this out makes me feel a little more coherent about the fear I have of miscarrying again.

I've decided (for myself) that if I lose this baby, I cannot put myself through this again for at least a few years. Losing my first baby put me in a funk for a very long time and I am not sure I could cope with another loss.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience with loss.

My story isn't the same as yours, I found out at 14 weeks that my baby had died in the couple of days after what appeared to be a normal 12 week scan so I can't offer much about PPROM, I can however relate to how you're feeling about your subsequent pregnancy.

Being pregnant with my rainbow was so challenging I was terrified the whole time that something was going to go wrong. Every little thing became a source of stress to me, even after we passed the point where I lost my baby and even still when I could feel him moving. I practically lived in triage in my third trimester with reduced movements, and even now I can't say if it was just my heightened sensitivity to something going wrong or if he really was just a very lazy baby.

I doubt if I can say anything that will make you feel better, the trouble is you know now what can happen, but I would suggest finding support where you can. Tell people how you feel - they might not be able to reassure you but I think it seems less overwhelming when it's out in the open. There are also lots of ladies in the online world who will have been through similar experiences, I follow a few ladies on instagram and I've just recently discovered #babylosshour on twitter.

Losing your baby is just the worst thing so be kind to yourself, the way you are feeling is completely normal.

And congratulations on your pregnancy.

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost our second baby. I went into labour and water broke between 17 & 18 weeks. There were signs of chronic infection. Until then it was a healthy pregnancy.

When I got pregnant with our 3rd, and to be honest with this 4th pregnancy as well, I relied heavily on my doctors. I had weekly appointments during the 2ND trimester, with scans at all of them for reassurance and so they could keep an eye on my cervix & growth.

I had to take it one day at a time and I never felt like I was going to get to take my baby home. It's horrible and sad. I did make it and got to bring my baby home. I'm 12 days from seeing this last baby into the world safely as well.

I'm so sorry I can't tell you it all got better at x weeks. We can't unknow the things we know and stop feeling the things we've felt.

I hope you get all the support you need to get you through this. :hugs: good luck hun

I'm sorry for your loss. I shouldn't. really be in this sub as I am ttc after a loss. And I know this was posted over a month ago but it might be useful to the OP or someone else.

I have had pPROM twice now and even though I was told that the reason for my mc was likely genetic I can't help but wonder/worry/fret that it was pPROM again. I was never given a reason why I had pPROM, I had no infection or illness of any kind, no traumas, nothing. It was something that just happened.

Given that it's happened to me twice now for certain I want nothing more than to prevent it from happening again. I just want to share what little information I've managed to find. There isn't a lot out there.

I've found one study suggesting that vitimin C helps: The Role of Vitamin C in Prevention of Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes

I also found this study about repairing punctures after amniocentesis. Collagen Type 1 Accelerates Healing of Ruptured Fetal Membranes I drew my own non scientific conclusion that maybe a supplement would help in strengthening it during development/pregnancy and added this to my cart through amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D...ed+gelatin&dpPl=1&dpID=51pe-S1SJBL&ref=plSrch

None of this is medical advice and it is up to you to research and draw your own conclusions. I don't know if it will help or not but it is something that I am going to try for myself next time. I concluded for myself that it wouldn't hurt to try but again, I am not a medical professional (well, I work in the field but not in a capacity that allows for me to give medical advice). So please, take this all with a grain of salt, research and draw your own conclusions. Discuss it with your doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->