A book for a thirteen year old boy with low reading age?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Anyone know of any books suitable for a thirteen year old boy? He struggles with reading but will be offended if I show up with a book for a child. I was thinking he'd like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime but actually it's probably way too complicated.

life of pi? or something like Philip pullman.

That actually seems like a good choice. Another book is Haze by Kathy Hoopmann. Or if he struggles with reading maybe guide him into some comic novels/manga books which can also have great stories and not heavy going.

Is it a present? If so you could get him a book voucher instead.

Thanks! No not a present I'm looking for a book to work through with a kid I tutor.

Diary of a wimpy kid! Its aimed at slightly younger kids but both me and my mum have read all the books for ourselves :)

What about one of the terry Pratchett kid books like the Wee Free Men. They're funny and a little naughty.

What interests does the boy have? Might be worth looking at a book thay covers his interests?

For Joshua (he's 5 but has a high reading age), I have just bought Utterly Awesome Science book, he loves reading it. It has lots of interaction things on the page.

Another recommendation is Osbourne's Illustrated Stories for Boys. It has lots of shortish stories. I find if a story is too long, Joshua loses interest but these are just the right length.

Diary of a wimpy kid or the traces series maybe? It's about a future England but the north is all bright and has the capital in and the South is dirty and deserted suitable for reading age of about 10 I would say. Google them, they go down well with low ability boys at school as the story is still relevant for teenagers. Is the low reading age because he struggles to read the words or understand the words or both?

Diary of a wimpy kid or the traces series maybe? It's about a future England but the north is all bright and has the capital in and the South is dirty and deserted suitable for reading age of about 10 I would say. Google them, they go down well with low ability boys at school as the story is still relevant for teenagers. Is the low reading age because he struggles to read the words or understand the words or both?

Thanks, these sound good! He reads perfectly but he doesn't understand what he's read.

Pongwiffy series? Horrid Henry? Horrible Histories?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->