A couple girl names...

rachelleigh

Reaction score
We are having such a hard time with names... We are team yellow so are thinking about boy and girl names. Our last name is Irish so we've mainly been looking into Irish names, too.

I love Maeve for a girl. What do you think? I hear it's common in Ireland but I've never met anyone named that here in the US. I love the way it looks and sounds and feel like its a name that is beautiful for both a baby and an adult.

I also really like Illa (i-la)!

I'm nervous to tell family because we got a bad reaction (well, we were ignored) when we told my DH's family that we thought about Kieran for a boy. Kind of ruined it for me.. (My family loved it, which was nice). We probably won't tell them any of the name ideas until baby is born now.

I love irish names but prefer Ciaran spelt like this. I also love Aoife and Niamh. My OH doesnt like irish names and he thinks its too difficult for people to spell or pronounce so they are out for us but what do you think.

Maeve, how would you pronounce it?

I love Maeve!

I also like Dervla and Roisin (Ro-SHEEN)

Don't tell people your name ideas, we didn't and we were so glad! Nobody could give us any negative comments once she was actually here! ;)
I love Niamh, pronounced 'neev' :)

I love both Ila or Isla and Maeve!!! Unique to North America I think.

DONT TELL ANYONE...I have read sooo many stories on this forum of parents to be having the stress, sorrow and pressure of outspoken family members who have reacted negatively towards names.

I love irish names but prefer Ciaran spelt like this. I also love Aoife and Niamh. My OH doesnt like irish names and he thinks its too difficult for people to spell or pronounce so they are out for us but what do you think.

Maeve, how would you pronounce it?

Ciaran-- really nice spelling! I'm partial to C's over K's anyhow. With either spelling, and many Irish names, it's just a shame that the pronunciation issue is inevitable in this country...

Maeve would be pronounced "Mave"

xjesx: You are so right. I would NEVER tell anyone I didn't like a name they had chosen! We weren't asking for opinions either, they just asked us and we told them... our mistake. At least they didn't outright say "Ugh, we hate that!" I too have seen horror stories of people's parents, family, etc. saying they will not call the baby by their real name... devastating.

A girl in my office just tells me straight to my face ugh I really dont like it. I just dont care what people think now, its difficult enough deciding this ourselves let alone making sure its suits everyone else too. Maeve, cute name. other irish/gaelic names:

Ciara
Erin
Caoimhe (pronounced either Keeva or queeva)

Im irish and personally dont like Maeve BUT I dont really like Irish names anyways..I do like Kieran though..
And my mam became a muslim about 10 years ago and called my little brother Mohamed when he was born and her whole family who are all iriah catholics refused to call him by his name and had nicknames for him!! Hes now 7 and they have no choice to call him by his name cause he wont answer to anything else but my grandmother still gets embarrased if my mam calls his name out loud in a supermarket or something!!!

I think just go with what you like and who cares what everyone else thinks if you love a name :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->