A few questions about self-insemination

KelWin

Not TTC anymore. :(
Reaction score
So later this year I will be TTC with a donor. I have previously tried to track my cycle but it is so unpredictable, even my Dr couldn't. I'm thinking of just going thru the actual inserting part every 2-3 days, even though I have almost no way of actually tracking when I'm ovulating? Is just using OPKs going to work?

I've read that ejaculation every day is bad for sperm count, so I wouldn't be asking SD to 'come' :haha: help me every day, but if we just keep trying every few days, it's bound to happen, right?

Any other advice or words of wisdom about AI is totally welcome. :)

Hi!

There's a thread in Assisted Conception about insemination with donor sperm, have a look at that, there's lots of info. There's also this one https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/assisted-conception/458990-home-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html about success stories, but if you have any questions don't post them in there, ask in the first one I mentioned.

(I found the first one, it's https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/assisted-conception/165424-considering-home-insemination-donor-sperm.html )

AS for your questions: Do you have no way of tracking ovulation? It would make it easier if you could use OPKs to indicate when you might need to inseminate.

Apparently if a man's sperm is healthy, doing it daily shouldn't affect quality but every other day might be better. Also consider he might be ejaculating at home with his partner too, so having a day off from you would at least allow him to have sex occasionally!

Ideally, every other day would be best for timing if you don't know when you ovulate but that could be tricky over a long period of time.

I would definitely recommend OPKs, also charting your BBT will show when you have ovulated and charting your CM and things like that. Best of luck x

Also consider he might be ejaculating at home with his partner too, so having a day off from you would at least allow him to have sex occasionally!

Ideally, every other day would be best for timing if you don't know when you ovulate but that could be tricky over a long period of time.

Haha, his partner is totally okay with him donating, and we've already talked about how and when. They'll have sex after he's donated for that try and then nothing for a day or so before it starts again.

And thanks for the links, I will go read them now. *fingers crossed for sept*

Also consider he might be ejaculating at home with his partner too, so having a day off from you would at least allow him to have sex occasionally!

Haha, his partner is totally okay with him donating, and we've already talked about how and when. They'll have sex after he's donated for that try and then nothing for a day or so before it starts again.

We have DB abstain the day before I expect a positive OPK, then we BD, then he abstains the next day, then we BD on the day I expect to ovulate. He abstains one more day and if I have no temp spike by the second day after O, we will BD again. Last month we got it in two shots and he only had to abstain from metamour 4 days, this month I ovulated late and it was 6 days. It's not an exact science, but with practice you'll get better at predicting things. If it comes to OPKs as your only way to predict O, then test at 3pm everyday and if you get a positive, tell him it is that day and two days later. Ask him not to ejaculate before 3pm on any day around "o" time. That ought to help you catch your time.

We have DB abstain the day before I expect a positive OPK, then we BD, then he abstains the next day, then we BD on the day I expect to ovulate. He abstains one more day and if I have no temp spike by the second day after O, we will BD again. Last month we got it in two shots and he only had to abstain from metamour 4 days, this month I ovulated late and it was 6 days. It's not an exact science, but with practice you'll get better at predicting things. If it comes to OPKs as your only way to predict O, then test at 3pm everyday and if you get a positive, tell him it is that day and two days later. Ask him not to ejaculate before 3pm on any day around "o" time. That ought to help you catch your time.

I shall be trying that, except no BDing, just a syringe and conceive plus, lol

And a softcup too. Very helpful!

And a softcup too. Very helpful!

As silly as it sounds, considering we're talking about sperm cervical mucus and making babies, I'm not too comfortable with softcups. I guess if I don't conceive after a few tries without it, I'll give it a go.

Hubby and I had to do it this way. My ovulation was fairly regular, between day 16 - 25 ish depending on the month. I tracked it using nothing but CM consistency. When the time came, we did it for about 2 days before and 2/3 days after ov. We used a syringe with 1ml of conceive plus in, then sucked up the spermies, left it for a few mins then put it in. Lay on my back with legs and bum up for an hour or so, and had a big O if possible. Took us 3 months this way after trying everything else for nearly 3 years! Babs is now due in 3 weeks!!

Hubby and I had to do it this way. My ovulation was fairly regular, between day 16 - 25 ish depending on the month. I tracked it using nothing but CM consistency. When the time came, we did it for about 2 days before and 2/3 days after ov. We used a syringe with 1ml of conceive plus in, then sucked up the spermies, left it for a few mins then put it in. Lay on my back with legs and bum up for an hour or so, and had a big O if possible. Took us 3 months this way after trying everything else for nearly 3 years! Babs is now due in 3 weeks!!

I guess I'll be using a cup, then. :p Congrats on your LO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->