a few things I've learned about pumping!

seaweed eater

Reaction score
I nursed my little guy for 11 months, until he chose to stop. Since then I've been EPing. In the process of making that transition, I've learned a few things about pumping that I wish I'd known earlier, in the nearly 10 minutes I was pumping part time!

- The best advice I've been given: don't focus on output, timing, or suction; just go by how empty you feel. The goal should be to empty your breasts, not to pump X amount.

- For me that means pumping for more than 20 minutes. I know opinions differ on this one; kellymom says 20 minutes is the max. But a LC told me it was ok to go longer, and it makes a difference to me. I think my flow is fairly slow and I do keep getting letdowns. I pump for about 30 minutes now, give or take depending on when I feel reasonably empty.

- Compressions make a HUGE difference. Before, I was doing them when I remembered, and not really watching -- kind of on autopilot. Now I do them all the time (especially toward the end of a session) and I watch the flow through the flanges to see whether I've hit a good spot. SUCH a difference.

- At the very end of a session, either hand express, if that's comfortable for you, or single pump and use both hands to give lots of compression. And switch back and forth a few times. Just to get those last drops of hindmilk from each side.

Oh, and I learned this one a little while ago but still wish I'd known earlier:
- Don't forget about routine pump maintenance. It can have a real impact on your supply! In particular, replace your membranes frequently, like every month or two.

My supply was starting to dip and I was developing a clogged duct, and now I feel so much better and my supply has come back. In my first session this morning I pumped nearly 10 oz, the most ever in one session for me (I know it's modest compared to some people but I have never had much of an oversupply). I never thought I'd be able to increase my yield at nearly a year postpartum.

Obviously if you are nursing too then that's a little more forgiving, but if you do have concerns about your pumping output, whether you EP or not, hopefully this will help! :flower:

Thank you! Do you mind me asking how much milk your son takes per feed/day?

The first few days after he stopped nursing, he took 28-29 oz. We switched from bottles to cups and have been trying to give him more solids, and now he's around 22 but it varies a lot from day to day. And I usually give 3-4 oz per cup...he'd take more but I think that's the recommendation, and that's how much he's always had in bottles.

Omg, that sounds scary. I'm going back to work soon and will be pumping, and I have no idea how much I'd need to pump per day. I hope I'll be able to do it. Thank you for sharing.

The guideline is to leave 1-1.25 oz per hour you're apart. It obviously depends a lot on how much your LO is nursing e.g. during the night. There's a lot more flexibility if you can also nurse because then LO can make it up by nursing while you're together. :flower:

Thanks SE! These are great! I'm glad you are doing great! 10oz!!!! WOW!! That is awesome!!! I would love to get that much! We are still EP so this thread was great! You always know just what to say!
:)

Thank you hon. I'm sorry to hear you are still EP rather than nursing, but I hope this helps you! :hugs:

I have to keep preoccupied while pumping, seems to get more milk that way.
I'm still a work in progress so currently only getting about 2oz from the left and only 1oz from the right. And takes about 15-20mins each breast.

Your advice is much appreciated!
Thanks a bunch

Squiggy, are you EP or is that in addition to nursing? 3 oz in addition to nursing is really really good! And it's very normal to get more on one side.

I highly recommend a double electric if you are pumping on a regular basis. Much more efficient since both sides generally let down around the same time. You can get insurance to cover double electric pumps now since I see you are in the US.

This is really great advice :thumbup:

I just stopped EPing thanks to a pregnancy-indued supply drop, but if you don't mind, I'll add a few things I found helpful:

• I averaged 30 minutes per session. Sometimes it would take me up to an hour to fully empty.

• If you're using a Medela pump, use the letdown phase multiple times.

• Pumping is easier if you can turn it into "me time." I had my pump by my computer so I could relax and surf BNB or Facebook while pumping.

• A hands free bra makes life 364792% easier. It can make it a little awkward to massage while pumping, but you get the hang of it. I made my own hands free bra from a nursing bra I never used, which saved me $30

Sorry for hijacking your thread :winkwink:

Thank you Shelby! Those are great tips :thumbup: I don't know how people do it without some kind of hands free solution. I use hair ties and a nursing bra.

Bump. Just wanted to add that hand expressing has gotten much easier with practice! I prefer it to single pumping now. And a new tip: shaking your boobs can help get more hindmilk out. True story!

• A hands free bra makes life 364792% easier. It can make it a little awkward to massage while pumping, but you get the hang of it. I made my own hands free bra from a nursing bra I never used, which saved me $30

Sorry, but this is wrong. It's actually 286148364830579754930840000% easier.

:thumbup:

Cannot stress the importance of a hands free bra ENOUGH!

Great thread :thumbup:

Definitely agree with doing something fun and relaxing while using the pump. I'm generally using the laptop during the day, then at night I play on my DS. I find I produce so much more then than when I'm not distracted, cause that's when I end up getting stressed and/or bored.

Soaking with a splash of white vinegar is great for removing milky/oily residue. I can't believe I didn't know this sooner!! All the time I've spent trying to scrub that stuff out of crevices!

Soaking with a splash of white vinegar is great for removing milky/oily residue. I can't believe I didn't know this sooner!! All the time I've spent trying to scrub that stuff out of crevices!

ooooooomg I love you. Trying this when I get home!

You will be amazed. They should tell pumping moms about this in the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->