A Hellish few Days But Ollie Is Home

Jem

Reaction score
Well what a hellish few days I've had. Ollie had been poorly with a cough and cold for about a week and it all went manic Friday night. I'd noticed he wasn't feeding well all day and not really waking up. I told Tim and he said he was probably tired from being poorly so not to worry. Anyway we woke him at 10.30pm as he hadn't feed since 5pm and when we finally roused him his eyes were all crossed eyed and rolling to the back of his head. We noticed he was pale and because we couldn't keep him awake long enough to feed we rang NHS Direct. They said to go to A&E immediately. Once we were finally seen after an hour and a half the doc took his temp and listened to his heart. He had a hight temp and his heart was racing. He got a paediatrion doc and all hell let loose. She said he was a really poorly baby. By this point his skin was mottled, he was even paler, floppy and still unresponsive and had a raised soft spot. All these led to suspected meningitis. She immediately got him on 3 different antibiotics and started testing him for everything. He had to have a lumber puncture to rule out meningitis (OMG I was in such a state with this as it's the worse pain imaginable apparently:cry:) and it was done twice as they got blood in the first one. He had a chest x ray, blood tests, stool and urine sample and mucous sample from his nose. The bloods came back at 2.30am and showed an infection but couldn't say where. The lumber puncture came back at 4am and that was clear. By the morning all the other tests came back as clear too. They cultured the spinal fluid and bloods to see if anything developed and those results came back Monday morning. They were clear too. It took a long time to stablise him at first as his temp was making his heart race and thus the reason for his eyes being how they were. He was on a heart monitor for that and once they controlled the temp, his heart monitor came off. It was so scary and to hear the words "he's borderline resussiation" absolutely destroyed me:cry:. Me and Tim were beside ourselves but Ollie was such a strong fighter and pulled through whatever it was that was wrong with him. They've concluded that it was a viral infection but we'll never know where it was or why it affected him like it did. He came home Monday (my birthday) and went back for daily antibiotics Tues and Weds and that's it, no more hospital. It's been a hellish few days but the main thing is Ollie back home and better! :happydance:x

Poor little guy. I am so happy he is better and back home!

glad your home and he is better. that would have scared the daylights out of me! :hugs:

Glad your home, and all is well with ollie. :) x

awww I am glad her is doing better! I hope you all are ok. poor little guy!

:hug:

Oh hunny how scary.Kids are stonger than we think though.so glad he is well again.Hope you had a fab crimbo xxxxxxxxx

I'm glad you and your little man are home and well. We've had a few incidents like that ourselves but none as servere as you have had. When ever my little man gets anything that puts his temp up he has a febrile convulsion which ends up with a trip to the hospital. It's frightening and you just feel powerless to help. I can now spot the signs and I have and electronic ear temperature thingy and we use video monitors as his last two fits have been while he is sleeping. I have a hospital bag packed before the ambulance arrives now and I know that as soon as his temp goes up to give him his ibrufen and strip him to his nappy. Did the hospital supply you with any ibrufen?

My advice would be that you know your baby best and if you feel that anything is wrong or just not quite right then get him checked out. Get yourself a thermometer so that you can test him yourself and take action early. Don't feel bad about calling an ambulance as most times you call the emergency doctors or NHS direct they will advise you do this anyway.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.

OMG Jem, you must have been beside yourselves. Well done all of you on pulling through it. Glad he's home safe and sound. Lots of love and :hug:

I'm glad you and your little man are home and well. We've had a few incidents like that ourselves but none as servere as you have had. When ever my little man gets anything that puts his temp up he has a febrile convulsion which ends up with a trip to the hospital. It's frightening and you just feel powerless to help. I can now spot the signs and I have and electronic ear temperature thingy and we use video monitors as his last two fits have been while he is sleeping. I have a hospital bag packed before the ambulance arrives now and I know that as soon as his temp goes up to give him his ibrufen and strip him to his nappy. Did the hospital supply you with any ibrufen?

My advice would be that you know your baby best and if you feel that anything is wrong or just not quite right then get him checked out. Get yourself a thermometer so that you can test him yourself and take action early. Don't feel bad about calling an ambulance as most times you call the emergency doctors or NHS direct they will advise you do this anyway.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.

Thank you xxx

omg how scarey hun...bless you all...im so glad he is ok...and well done for being so strong...:hugs: xx

Sorry your wee man had to go through that but good to hear he's on the mend :hugs:

Glad that you are home and getting well. Hope Ollie is better soon xx

Sounds so scary :hugs: So glad he's home and doing better - must have been awful for you all :hug: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->