A little bit worried

lalalistic

Mum to Poppy
Reaction score
This is my second pregnancy and I'm 32+4 and I saw my midwife today (who is very nice and supportive about me planning a homebirth) anyway I am 3/5 engaged already which she was very surprised about as often don't engage in second pregnancies until labour. Do you think this means he is likely to arrive early. I have had loads of Braxton Hicks.
My iron is also slightly low 10.4g so she has given me prescription for Iron tablets. Does anyone know of an alternative (suffered enough constipation as it is) but don't want to jeopardise home birth so want to get my iron up.
Lastly I'm planning on getting a la bassine. When should I order it. Dont want to spend all that money if this little fella is planning an early entrance.
Apparently he is on the large side as well. gone from 50th centile on chart to 90th.
Sorry this is a waffly post. just hoping some of you with more experience could let me know what they think.

Thanks heaps.

I have had loads of braxton hicks as well. Everyday I get a group of them. It's very common to have them earlier during a second pregnancy. I only got them in the last few weeks with my first.

Iron - what kind of diet do you have? I think the most easily absorbed iron is from red meat. Avoid calcium as well, as this prohibits the absorbtion of iron.

I'm getting a La Bassine too! :) Order whenever you feel ready to. I am hiring and only getting mine 2 weeks before EDD.

Not sure about the other things but highly recommend Spatone for iron. Last pregnancy mine was pretty low, like 8 or 9. I took iron tablets for 4 weeks and they made no difference. I then took Spatone for two and my levels went up to normal. I also had low iron a little time before conceiving (tested because of feeling so crap all the time) so took Spatone and at my 12 week bloods my levels were well into normal. It's an iron rich water from Snowdonia. You can get it at Boots. It seems on rare occasions you can get it on prescription but I can't. :(

I've heard really good things from people about Spatone, so I'd second that suggestion.

It's worth considering what you can change within your diet in order to boost iron absorption. There are some good notes on diet here
https://www.irondisorders.org/diet/

I have fairly high iron levels despite being vegan therefore not eating traditional sources of iron. I put this down to a mixture of making sure I have one iron rich meal a day which I always accompany with some vitamin C either in the form of OJ or tomatoes and cooking in cast iron whenever possible. I also avoid foods/drinks with lots on tannins in, as these reduce iron absorption.

The other thing I do is sweeten drinks with black treacle, which is very high in iron. Two teaspoons is equivalent to about 13% of your RDA of iron. Its worth noting that it's also high in calcium, which some studies suggest reduce iron absorbent so it's not a perfect solution.

The fact that baby is engaged now doesn't mean an early arrival in second/subsequent pregnancies babies can pop in and out of the pelvis!
Also I wouldn't worry about a hb of 10.4 and your ability to birth at home, 10.4 isn't very low.

My hb was 9.9 at 28 weeks and yesterday I saw a different mw who tried to tell me if I don't increase it to 10.5 I 'wont be allowend a homebirth!" Well she made a mistake in thinking I didn't already have an understanding of anaemia and pregnancy and I told her in no uuncertain terms, she can not tell me what I am allowed and I will be having a homebirth as 9.9 isn't dangerously low plus my mcv and hct are within normal range so it is unlikely to be true anaemia and more likely natural haemodilution that occurs in pregnancy, plus there is research that states a hb of 9.5 is ideal towards end of pregnancy! Anyway I refused consent for bloods and said I would have them checked at 36 weeks so I have a chance to increase them (I can't tolerate iron tablets they make me very ill) Peanutbean's sucess with spatone sounds very encouraging will have to try that out! did you take 2 or 3 sachets a day?
I have also got a la bassine got it other day so 34 weeks. Haven't tried it out yet need to get a pump am a bit worried my boiler won't cope filling it up!

With low iron in pregnancy it's recommended to take two sachets a day - the normal dose is just one a day. Incidentally I read in my homebirth book yesterday that NICE guidelines recommended consultant led unit if iron is under 8.5 at the onset of labour.

Thanks will buy some tomorrow, Yes hb of 8.5 it is reccommended you birth in obstetric unit and this is something I would agree to personally if my levels were that low.

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. Will definitely get hold of some spatone and I have been taking floradix as well.

It's very reassuring to know that you don't think it means he will be early. I'm not ready yet!

Don't think I can do the black treacle. I hate it. I don't suppose golden syrup has the same effect. lol.

I have been lurking for some time in this forum and have found it really positive and reassuring that home birth is not completely insane. Everyone always sounds so shocked when I say I am planning to have a home birth, except my midwife. Luckily no one has been outright rude or dismissive.

I'd say early no but maybe not a long labour as I've found 2nd babies that are engaged usually make for shorter labours :)

Interesting replies to this - I had no idea there were prerequisites for iron levels going into labour, just thought it was a question of being anaemic/not anaemic for mum.

Having bloods done at my next appointment for this, but I can't stop having a cup of tea with my multivitamin in the morning, although apparently it impairs iron absorption!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->