• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

A question about bleeding after birth... and a xmas question!

soph77

Mum to 3 boys + one more
Reaction score
I am due somewhere between the 16th (scan dates) and 19th December (LMP date) so am looking at a Christmas baby. I am hoping to have the baby before xmas but there is a real possibility that I may still be pg, or even in the hospital! Anyway, even if the baby is born before xmas he will more than likely be only a week old, or there abouts.

My question is this - how long do you bleed for after birth? And also how long do you bleed HEAVILY?

We are trying to decide what to do for Christmas day. I am happy to just stay at home in the air conditioning and have everyone come to us (this is what usually happens on xmas day anyway). It will be a pretty laid back affair. I will be looked after by my dotting husband and all I have to do is make sure the baby is well fed :) Christmas food for us is pretty easy, we do salads, fruit, prawns and oysters. I buy the fruit, MIL brings the bread and salads and my parents bring the seafood. So easy as, not a problem, and the house will be cool and air conditioned.

My mother has just informed me that she wants to have Christmas day at her place this year - so it will be easier on me. Their house is very hot and doesn't have air con, but they have the pool. She says that way i can relax and not do anything and everyone can swim int he pool. It's all very nice of her to offer, BUT, I kind of think that I would just be happier at home. I don't really fancy lugging all the baby stuff around, and sitting in the hot house all uncomfortable (I don't handle the heat very well!) and being all sweaty while breastfeeding and such. As much as i would LOVE to swim on xmas day and cool off, won't I be bleeding too much anyway??? I mentioned this to my mum today and she said, 'what, still bleeding?' like it stops immediately after you give birth!! I had my son 10 years ago, and I don't remember how long I bled for but I do know it didn't stop right away!

Am I being selfish by wanting to stay at home for xmas? I will be over her house every day leading up to the birth for swims and as soon as I am able to will be back for swims after the birth, should I have to endure an uncomfortable xmas day just because she has it in her head that it will be easier for me? Her and Dad have also been doing lots of work in the garden and repairing the balcony so it will be all nice for xmas so people can all be there. I feel bad because xmas is always at our house and I know she would like to have it there, but I really just would rather be at home :( Should I stand my ground or give in and keep the peace?

Hey, I'm due on the 16th Dec too! We're in the same situation as you so as we know dh is away at work in Xmas day I'm going out for lunch with my family (taking dd1 too of course lol). My folks will take dd1 with them to lunch if the new baby decides to come around Xmas day & I'm still in hospital. Suppose we'll have the opposite problem to you about the heat, it'll probably be freezing here in England!

As for bleeding, I think you usually bleed for a good couple of weeks after the birth but everyone is different. I remember thinking that I was just about back to normal after 4 weeks (bleeding had stopped, my nipples had recovered from initial breast feeding attempt etc). Good luck x

I'm expecting to bleed from 2 - 6 weeks and I don;t think you're allowed to swim until it's stopped in case of infection :hugs: I would stand my ground, we have a few people coming to us this year for the first time as I don't think going elsewhere is a good plan!

Personally I would explain the situation and want to stay at home... If everyone is bringing stuff to yours anyway, then it wouldn't be that much hassle. I am sure she would understand - as all she seems to be doing is trying to make life easy for you!

I bled for around 6 weeks after birth, around 3 of those quite heavy - so I wouldn't have wanted to swim that close!!

i dont know how long you bleed for specifically other than the benchmark of weeks so on the strength of that , yes swimming is a no go for your health reasons (infection) if you feel more comfortable at your own house then there's your answer! stay put explain politely to mil you want to stay in your own house for air con you dont need to explain more than that though your a person in your own right i think its very admirable of you to still want to host xmas and you seem to have a lovely network behind you to i think people are very well meaning but sometimes dont realise you just want your own creature comforts and familiar surroundings, let her know how special she is and how you appreciate her efforts but you still want xmas at yours!:thumbup:p.s love the idea of sea food makes a change from dry old tukey!:winkwink:

I bled for around 6-8 weeks after my other 2.
4 of those heavy like a bad period then on and off for 2 weeks but still red then just the old blood for a bit longer.
Then I had a period lol, that lasted longer than a normal one as well so I guess in all around 2.5 months.
I have no idea if this is normal but Im prepared this time to still be bleeding into feb and Im due the same dates as you.

Personally I wouldnt go swimming just after you have had baby as there is a risk of infection.
xx

Sadly the bleeding situation is different for everyone.

I'm about 4 weeks bleeding, heavy for 4/5 days, medium period flow for another week, and then basically a streak for next 2 weeks after that. Some days I'd barely have anything.

If baby arrives on or near due date then they'll be a week or so old. There'll be no "pattern" to feeds, you might have been up all night (sorry, not trying to paint a horror story)...what I'm getting at is that in those first few early days, personally, I think that being at home is where I would want to be. You know the routine you normally have for Christmas and it seems lovely and laid back - perfect for you and your family. You won't have to lug a load of baby stuff around and if you feel tired you can just pop off to bed for an hour with baby. I'd have a chat with family and explain that because you don't know when baby will come you'd prefer to be at home, but thanks for offer. Perhaps they could host something a few weeks after baby is born and you're more settled?

Good luck x

Ah, bleeding - I ended up with EMCS last time and my bleeding lasted around 2 weeks and was like the middle of your period; was never heavy. I didn't resume swimming until around 3 months on because of EMCS.

I bled really heavily for over a week, then after 2 weeks it slowed down and stopped for another week, then started up again for another few weeks.

also, rushing about makes you bleed heavier. I'd be inclined to just say thanks but no thanks and stay at home.

I bled for 5 weeks, it was only heavy for the first two from what I remember. I then had a week of nothing and had my first period straight after that x

I'd probably just want to stay home too. :)
I'm due a couple weeks before Christmas but am still telling everyone that I'd prefer not to travel around too much. It'll be easier for people to come to us for sure.
I remember bleeding for a good few weeks after my first. I was wearing those super heavy underwear-type pads for the first week and then a heavy duty pad for about a week and then regular ones with a period-type flow for weeks 3-5ish. Swimming would definitely have been out of the question! (P.S. When reading your post I was all confused about the air-conditioning and swimming until I saw you're from Australia! lol I was thinking 'brrrrrr' who would want to swim in December but that's only because we have snow on the ground at that point......:dohh: haha!!)

I think everyone will be pretty understanding where you're coming from. You'll be the one with the new baby and lack of sleep and recovering body. If you haven't yet had the baby though, it might be nice to get in the pool and get the weight off your feet. :D

I HAVE 2 kids,both bleeds were heavy for 2 days and just little for a week...that was it.Everyone is different

I'm not sure how the bleeding generally goes apart from that it can last up to 6 weeks after birth. Beside the fact that swimming probably wouldn't be sensible so soon after because of the possibility of infection. And I've been told tampons are also out of the question.

You're probably going to be mega tired and hormonal too, personally I would want to be in my own environment too. Wouldn't be selfish at all if you wanted to stay home xxx

love the idea of sea food makes a change from dry old tukey!:winkwink:

We love our seafood!! A cold seafood lunch is the typical Aussie Christmas feast. I have never had a turkey for Christmas. Sometimes we visit my aunty on christmas eve and she puts on a turkey and ham and all of that, but Christmas day has always been reserved for seafood, fruit and salad!!! Yummo!

Ah, bleeding - I ended up with EMCS last time and my bleeding lasted around 2 weeks and was like the middle of your period; was never heavy. I didn't resume swimming until around 3 months on because of EMCS.

I had a emcs with my son too, and I think I bled for about 2-3 weeks, so based on that, I think I am right and you all are right that swimming will not be on the cards for a while :(

I am going to see my mum today, so I will have to break the news to her. Hope she is not too upset and understands. I am one of those people that always says yes no matter how much I want to say no! :dohh: but I WILL put my foot down on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"