A question on religion

britishsaffy

Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a fight here so lets keep it civil if possible :flower:

As someone who considers themself agnostic I do however find myself rather fascinated by relgion and the lengths that some people go to in the name of said religions.

However, I just read something on another thread and it made me ask a question that i'd like to hear perspectives on....

"Why are we so keen to thank 'God' when something in our life goes well, or when a 'prayer' is answered, but we relieve 'God' of all responsibilty when something in our life goes badly or not as we had hoped?"

I'm genuinely interested in replies....

I believe that God created us, will judge us, but gave us minds to use! When I say "thank God" (I usually say thank goodness) I usually mean that as a saying, and I am not really thanking God that, for example, the store has the purse I really like on sale. I also think that there is 'wasted' prayer. Personally, it makes me cringe when people pray for petty things or selfish things or pray for forgiveness knowing they aren't sorry. I think this is where the judgment will be. Life is a test. I have had a very hard life, compared to most. I lost four babies as an adult as well. My daughter was diagnosed with autism. These are times that I am really being tested in life and where I really need to look to God for strength and find the blessings while using my brain God gave me to sort through things with morals taught. Not sure if this is exactly what you were asking, but this is my answer! :p

This is something I have always found rather strange, so I'll be following this thread :flow:

This was kind of my question on another thread.

Listening to some people who are intensly religious I wonder why if they believe so strongly in god why don't they get angry with him?? They say god helped them get pregnant or gave them a child, surely they would think it was him who took them away ... (I'm not directing this at the lady who previously answered)

I love delving into differnt religions, they fascinate and also puzzle me sometimes, alot of things regarding certain religions I will never ever understand.

Islam has had me scared no end in the past, media hype I'm sure has alot to do with it. But like every religion they all have their extremeties!
I love a religious documentry, watched one on Hasidism recently and a few on Amish communities. So interesting!
Most seem to have similar messages,kindness, loyalty, ect I think alot interpret the bibles the way they want to see them, that's where the trouble starts...

I'm a Muslim and we believe that God knows and creates everything, Good OR bad but we don't know his Will and therefore we have our own will to do things as well; also if God intervened in everything and made it so there was no suffering etc in the world it would be complained that God is not allowing the creation to exercise their own will. This life is a test and there would be no point to that if we had no will to do anything and nothing ever went wrong. I've certainly learnt to appreciate my current marriage from my previous marriage which went badly wrong; and also I appreciate my living children much more due to the ones I lost. But at least in my faith and I can only speak for it and no other belief system, we don't only say that the good things are due to God's will but the bad also, there were some heretical sects in the early days of Islam which said that God only willed good things; or that God didn't will anything at all and its the creation which do. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->