A reason not to get pregnant TOO SOON after a C section

beachlover1

Pregnant and mummy of one
Reaction score
I had my second c section last wee, im home and we are both doing FAB and healing perfectly!!! ;-) I wrote on here a week or so ago to a thread about how long to wait after a section before getting preggers again, I replied that my consultant had said to wait 18 months....I pretty much got laughed at and told it was not necessary.

Well im living proof that maybe it is necessary to wait. I waited 18 months, I was advised NOT to VBAC as baby was suspected to be a biggie....thank god i didnt!! not only was she 8lb 11 i was told by my surgeon that my uterus around my scar was VERY THIN despite having a textbook healing last time and an invisible scar! I was told i would have certainly ruptured if I had gone into labour, it could have been exceedingly serious and my next c section will be carried out at 37 weeks and not a day later!!The surgeon said, "this is why we say to give it 18 months....its not what we just say for fun!!!!" I was unlucky because i had waited, but it makes you think, especially if you want a VBAC!

Glad you and LO are well and recovering nicely!

Thanks for your post, although it has slightly worried me :haha: There will be 17months - just - between my c sections, and no one ever mentioned the risk of ruptures with a VBAC, they were just trying to push me into going as naturally as possible - glad I stuck to my guns!! Have my next consultants appointment at just before 37weeks (c-section should be at 39weeks) so will definitely mention this then :flower:

Thanks for sharing that! Does that mean your babies should be at least 18 months apart or are you supposed to wait 18 months to get pregnant?

I had my second c section last wee, im home and we are both doing FAB and healing perfectly!!! ;-) I wrote on here a week or so ago to a thread about how long to wait after a section before getting preggers again, I replied that my consultant had said to wait 18 months....I pretty much got laughed at and told it was not necessary.

Well im living proof that maybe it is necessary to wait. I waited 18 months, I was advised NOT to VBAC as baby was suspected to be a biggie....thank god i didnt!! not only was she 8lb 11 i was told by my surgeon that my uterus around my scar was VERY THIN despite having a textbook healing last time and an invisible scar! I was told i would have certainly ruptured if I had gone into labour, it could have been exceedingly serious and my next c section will be carried out at 37 weeks and not a day later!!The surgeon said, "this is why we say to give it 18 months....its not what we just say for fun!!!!" I was unlucky because i had waited, but it makes you think, especially if you want a VBAC!

a big congratulations to you and baby :baby:
it has to be said reading your post here, you make sense, i totally agree with people waiting to conceive after a section..i certainly dont think that consultants and surgeons are stupid people that dont know what they are talking about.they must give a time guideline according to there experience and what they know.my last section was 2yr 6mth ago and even now iam wondering if personally i would be ok to conceive again...
anyway well done to you and thankgod for the fab doctors and surgeons who deliver these babies safe and make sure mums are fine too...

hey forgot to ask, how many weeks were you? and why do they say before risk of any potential rupture to deliver at 37wks? was just wondering :winkwink:

I'm glad you and baby are both doing fine! :D
My c-sections will be 27 months apart.

I wasnt told anything about waiting but thats probably because they didnt think id get pregnant again lol. my daughter has just turned one year old and i am almost 15 weeks pregnant :), im opting for a c-section though so hopefully they pass me x

I'm a bit freaked out for that very reason!! All of my kids were at least 2 years apart- all 4 were c-sections....this current pregnancy was a total surprised, failed contraception. We couldn't be happier, but I have to admit that when I first found out I felt sick- not because I don't want another baby, but because I just had a c-section in October...not even a year ago! My daughter was 9 months old when I conceived, and this will be my 5th c-section. :shrug::nope: So, I am certainly feeling a bit uneasy over it...I will see the doctor that performed my c-section in October, hopefully he will remember how my insides looked...but i went into labor that time too, if that happens again then I don't know what will happen...ugh.

my daughter is 1 year old... and I am 24 weeks pg with number 3. it will be 16 months between c-sections for me. I will be having a planned c-section.
my prev births were emergency c-sections.
Number 3 baby was not planned this soon, but we are happy and in perfectly good hands and my pregnancy is progressing well.
I had scar tissue cause complications from prev ops in my last c-section and suffered a bladder tear..... I recovered brilliantly.... That was an induced labour as I was going for VBAC but baby got tired hence I ended up with emergency c-section again.
My consultant gave me all the advice and pros and cons of future pregnancies because of the scar tissue situation. They have to inform you of the risks that is their job, it doesn't mean anything is going to go wrong.
I wasn't planning any more babies if ever, but we are over the moon. I am totally relaxed and enjoying my pregnancy, fully informed and aware, and looking forward to my planned c-section and welcoming my 2nd daughter into our family.

The fact that there is no standard advice issued immediately following a c-section makes me a bit suspicious - surely if there was that severe a risk, we would be told (more than once probably) before leaving hospital not to conceive for X months? I've heard so many different figures put on it that it makes me wonder how much reliable evidence there is.

my daughter is 1 year old... and I am 24 weeks pg with number 3. it will be 16 months between c-sections for me. I will be having a planned c-section.
my prev births were emergency c-sections.
Number 3 baby was not planned this soon, but we are happy and in perfectly good hands and my pregnancy is progressing well.
I had scar tissue cause complications from prev ops in my last c-section and suffered a bladder tear..... I recovered brilliantly.... That was an induced labour as I was going for VBAC but baby got tired hence I ended up with emergency c-section again.
My consultant gave me all the advice and pros and cons of future pregnancies because of the scar tissue situation. They have to inform you of the risks that is their job, it doesn't mean anything is going to go wrong.
I wasn't planning any more babies if ever, but we are over the moon. I am totally relaxed and enjoying my pregnancy, fully informed and aware, and looking forward to my planned c-section and welcoming my 2nd daughter into our family.

what a lovely post :winkwink:

It will be 2.5 years for me after my last c section but it will be scheduled for 37 weeks and not a day later

Erm thanks. My babys will be 14months apart. I love the extra worry obvouisly!.. bit late now! And u know what this baby was planned! Gues im a bad mother not thinking about consiquences yadayada. But i was my doc said theres no issues etc. And they told me to attempted a vbac. It depends on each individual. Glad your baby and u is alright tho. I hope mine is ok too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->