A reassuring "after BCP" story

Rhiannon137

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since there are so many worries floating around about coming off the pill (I had ALL of them myself), I thought I would share my own rather positive experience for reassurance.

I am 34 and had been taking Ortho Tricyclen (regular, not the Lo) for 19 YEARS straight. I first started taking it to induce menstruation, which I had lost due to being underweight. I remained extremely underweight for the first ~10 years on the pills, but would usually get a withdrawal bleed every month. I have been a healthy weight for the last ~10 years, but was still expecting a terrible time of things when DH and I started NTNP 4 months ago.

I finished a pack of pills and had a normal withdrawal bleed. If the first day of the withdrawal bleed is counted as CD1, I had another "regular" period 29 days later, which lasted 5 days. I had no obvious signs of O that month. Every month since, I have had regular cycles with ~4 days of EWCM starting at CD 9 or 10 and 5-day periods starting at CD 27 or 28.

I think since people are more likely to post about problems than non-problems, the frequency of problems might seem higher than it really is. I just wanted to throw out a positive story that might help anyone else who is working themselves into stress about coming off BCP.

Hi all,

Since there are so many worries floating around about coming off the pill (I had ALL of them myself), I thought I would share my own rather positive experience for reassurance.

I am 34 and had been taking Ortho Tricyclen (regular, not the Lo) for 19 YEARS straight. I first started taking it to induce menstruation, which I had lost due to being underweight. I remained extremely underweight for the first ~10 years on the pills, but would usually get a withdrawal bleed every month. I have been a healthy weight for the last ~10 years, but was still expecting a terrible time of things when DH and I started NTNP 4 months ago.

I finished a pack of pills and had a normal withdrawal bleed. If the first day of the withdrawal bleed is counted as CD1, I had another "regular" period 29 days later, which lasted 5 days. I had no obvious signs of O that month. Every month since, I have had regular cycles with ~4 days of EWCM starting at CD 9 or 10 and 5-day periods starting at CD 27 or 28.

I think since people are more likely to post about problems than non-problems, the frequency of problems might seem higher than it really is. I just wanted to throw out a positive story that might help anyone else who is working themselves into stress about coming off BCP.

Thank you for posting!! I have been worried too just coming off YAZ. I didn't have a withdrawal bleed but my first cycle last month was 30 days...I O'd cd 21 and got AF cd 30...I was worried about a short luteal phase but I have to say this month is already looking better - about to O tomorrow [cd 17]!

When I went to my gyno appt. on 6/11...he told me some docs are starting to prescribe the pill to women having trouble ttc!! A month on/a month off or 3 months on/3 months off and a lot of people are more fertile right after stopping bcp...so likely we'll find out it's not all bad!

Hoping for a :bfp: soon myself & good luck to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->