A recent pic of Millie

Thank you. :hugs: You're such a sensible thinking chickie!

I love the support we all get on here.:thumbup:

Sherry, are you saying that Millie has been referred to Speech & Language Therapist already?

I've asked the Paediatrician, Audiologist and the peri' Teacher for the Deaf about this, and they all say that it's way too early to refer Andrew for speech therapy, it's something they'll think about at the end of the summer when he's 2yrs corrected. The peri' Teacher also said that, having listened to his occasional squawks and cries last week, she's not overly concerned about his language development.

What did the S&LT suggest for Millie? Other than a doidy cup :rofl:

Yes we were referred by her consultant because of the difficulties she is having with feeding and the knock-on effect this can have with her speech.

He was a very nice guy (bit of a dish too) he said that because she is not tolerating lumps she is only using an up and down tongue movement, when she should be moving her tongue from side to side. He was positive in what he said, as he told me that everything they would advise to encourage her to eat lumps, we are already doing....ie textured, not lumpy food, and encouraging finger foods that melt and turn into a paste. Millies fave is half choc chip cookie, not the healthiest option perhaps but he said if she enjoys it then go with the flow! He said that it's really important to challenge her, and although it sounds mena, we should offer her foods that almost make her gag etc, but she can just about manage......he said that if we don't challenge her we won't move forwards. That is the part that is easier said than done! I asked him about the sippy cup and he said that we should just persevere with it for now, but he gave us a doidy cup to have a go with too.

It was our first appointment, and we talked about her speech a little, and told him that the only recognisable sound she makes is 'dadadada' and I don't think she even associated that sound with her daddy! He said that although her speech will probably be late, he could tell that she was having no problems in making her feelings known to me, and that she was interested in everything, alert, and bright which were all good signs.\

He asked me if she has any understanding of language, when you say wave or clap, does she do it? I was not sure as whenever I say that kind of thing I am demonstrating it to her myself, so although she does it, I was not sure if she understood, or if she just copied me. I have been testing this since our appointment and I think she does have some understanding of speech, which he said a child needs before they will speak. Although I don't think she understands much, I suppose it is a start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->