A silly question about swimming with babies.

anita665

Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd
Reaction score
This question probably sounds really silly :blush: but when baby is here I want to be able to take him swimming as much as I can so here are my questions:

• How old do they have to be before you first take them?
  • What sort of nappies do you use?
  • How do the nappies work? Surley they get soaked and aren't much good?

Thanks.

Not took Caitlin yet but I couldn't find any nappysuits that would fit. Starting to think about it now so Im interested in the answers too :D

Hows bump? Hows you? I was exhausted by this point onwards :dohh:

you can get a sertain nappy fesigned for swimming, there really good and stay on and hold eveything in.

I took my daughter swimming at the age of 1 month. Just let her float around etc. I dont know if there is any time you shouldnt have baby in the pool?

The mappies are a pampers make i think, i cant quite remmeber as my daughter doesnt use them anymore!

Hope this has helped :)

God my spelling today.. you can tell im tierd !

Not took Caitlin yet but I couldn't find any nappysuits that would fit. Starting to think about it now so Im interested in the answers too :D

Hows bump? Hows you? I was exhausted by this point onwards :dohh:

I'm good thanks but having trouble sleeping because I can't stay comfortable for long enough. LO seems to just about never stay still at the moment.

Bless :D Caitlin was a night kicker! Lay down and off she went for about an hour at least :lol:

Medical staff tell you that you shouldn't really take LO's swimming till they've had their first jab - is this about 6 weeks, I can't remember??

You can buy Huggies Little Swimmers nappies, but they don't come tiny enough for LO's - I think they start at about 4 months size. I've got a pack upstairs but Charlie's having a nap at the min, so I'll let you know when he's up.

LO's can get rather cold very quick, so if you're planning on going a lot, you may want to invest in a baby wetsuit. We bought one for Charlie and they're great. Velcro all round and you just wrap it round them and they stay lovely and snug. Again, it's in Charlie's bedroom, so I'll let you know what it's called when he wakes.

Kaya has one of these
https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/productdetails.aspx?id=36&cat=8
You don't need to wait until they have their first jab, but you should only stay in for 10-15 mins at the start. The swim nappies are only designed to hold in solids not wee, that's why there's chlorine in the pools. Check with your local pool, they may do mother and baby classes.

i always thought you had to wait until atleast first jabs. you can use the little swimmers nappies or you can buy a proper nappy thing that is reusable, we had one for nicole, was great.

WE have Aqua-Baby classes here and they begina aat 3 months. I think it's mostly because we get them to do little exercises to help with developping balance, moro's reflex, protection refles, etc. We take them under water and it goes very well. I think, though, that if the water is warm enough you could start earlier. We've used Little Swimmers and they do work well. We also have non-disposable swimmsuits that have a towel material inside to prevent leaks. They're made like waterproof cotton diaper covers with elastics around the thighs.(Kushies brand) Those are fine too. Lately, we've gotten a one piece suit that looks like a surfers. However, Simon has been feeling cold in it as it keeps him wet so when he's out of the water (getting ready to slide) he gets chilly. That's at the indoor pool, though. I'm sure it'll be great for swimming outsdoors in the sunny weather because it protect from the sun as well. I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy lots of swimming around with your baby this year. It's such fun!!!

The Huggies Little Swimmers smalles are for 16-26lbs. Charlie was only about 12lb when we first took him and it was massive!!!

This is the wetsuit I was talking about:

https://www.konfidence.co.uk/details.php?pID=63

And they also sell a great thing called a Nappicova. We took Charlie in a Huggies, with the Nappicova over the top.

We took Olivia swimming on Friday morning... We also used a Huggies little swimmers the small one and it was a tad big on her bless her... But it wasnt so bad once her swimming cossie was on... That was a 3-6 months but she's failry long and fitted well.

Olivia loved it in the swimming pool bless her. She was kicking her little legs and laughing and smiling all the while.

It was great!! :mrgreen:

**Edit** Sure Start do mother & baby at the local pools. If sure if you contact them they will tell you how to join.

x

Amanda, that suit is great! i wish we could get them here, but I've never seen them anywhere. I may consider buying online...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->