A week old baby killed by a Jack Russel

I'm not so sure the baby was left unsupervised? it seems a bit vague in the news but I did read that the baby was just bitten not mauled or attacked? So, even more scary to be honest as how did this happen? They could have had the baby with them and the dog bit him, so really I think its a case of yes, never leave a small child alone with a dog and perhaps in this case, also never leave a baby in a place where a dog can get access to them?

There was a story about a dog in Alberta that killed a baby with a single bite. In the end they decided that the dog was actually trying to help the baby when he was crying (that breed picked up their pups by grabbing them by the head). The baby was in his crib and seemingly every precaution was met.

So yes, it doesn't have to be anyone's fault or oversight. Sometimes tragic accidents are just that.

But then that poses the question why was the dog in the room/how it got in the room?/where were the parents?

I don't remember all of the details but I believe the parents were sleeping. The dog was originally in a crate downstairs but got out.

How sad. I was raised around dogs, it saddens me that some people won't get a dog because of accidents like this.

What a terrible tragedy.

I am probably the odd one out in this thread as I am happy to leave the dogs near my LO when he is on the floor. They are very interested in him but they obey voice commands to step away from him, and I 100 percent believe they would never harm him (they mostly just want to get a good lick in). On the contrary, I would be more concerned that they would be defensive of him towards others.

My dogs are very small (my baby outweighs both of them put together!) and extremely good-natured. I don't doubt I would behave differently if my dogs were known for being vicious (like the dog in the story) or were larger.

What a terrible tragedy.

I am probably the odd one out in this thread as I am happy to leave the dogs near my LO when he is on the floor. They are very interested in him but they obey voice commands to step away from him, and I 100 percent believe they would never harm him (they mostly just want to get a good lick in). On the contrary, I would be more concerned that they would be defensive of him towards others.

My dogs are very small (my baby outweighs both of them put together!) and extremely good-natured. I don't doubt I would behave differently if my dogs were known for being vicious (like the dog in the story) or were larger.

Unfortunatly I think its that kind of attitude that can lead to this terrible tradegy.

People see their pets are "family members" they say "I trust my dog 100% I know he'll never hurt my baby" and then it happens....being complacent about your pets, be it dog, cat or rabbit, around your child..one of them is going to get hurt, and this story shows that it doesnt have to be a big animal, nor one that is considered a "dangerous breed"...

I fully bet that for the family of this baby, that dog was a trusted member of the family, that they never thought in a million years their beloved jack russel would attack ANYONE let alone the baby....but it happened and the baby is now dead.

It doesnt matter how much you trust you dogs, and its great yours respond to your command...but should they decide to atatck your child...they arent going to listen to a word you say, and by the time you get up, and get to your dogs it could very well be too late.

I hope to god it doesnt happen to you. But When people put animals and children together, its our responsibility to make sure neither of them get hurt. We should not put either in that position. If more people did that, less children and less animals would get killed.

Unfortunatly I think its that kind of attitude that can lead to this terrible tradegy.

People see their pets are "family members" they say "I trust my dog 100% I know he'll never hurt my baby" and then it happens....being complacent about your pets, be it dog, cat or rabbit, around your child..one of them is going to get hurt, and this story shows that it doesnt have to be a big animal, nor one that is considered a "dangerous breed"...

I fully bet that for the family of this baby, that dog was a trusted member of the family, that they never thought in a million years their beloved jack russel would attack ANYONE let alone the baby....but it happened and the baby is now dead.

It doesnt matter how much you trust you dogs, and its great yours respond to your command...but should they decide to atatck your child...they arent going to listen to a word you say, and by the time you get up, and get to your dogs it could very well be too late.

I hope to god it doesnt happen to you. But When people put animals and children together, its our responsibility to make sure neither of them get hurt. We should not put either in that position. If more people did that, less children and less animals would get killed.

Your concern has been noted, and filed accordingly.

I have to say, jack russels are known to be a very aggresive breed. That alone should make them cautious. And this dog was vicious BEFORE this happened. So to be honest, this was not a trustworthy family dog. This was a family who ignored aggresive behaviour from a hyperactive breed. Obviously not all Jack Russels are violent, same as all retrievers aren't softies but people need to research their breeds!!

I have to say, jack russels are known to be a very aggresive breed. That alone should make them cautious. And this dog was vicious BEFORE this happened. So to be honest, this was not a trustworthy family dog. This was a family who ignored aggresive behaviour from a hyperactive breed. Obviously not all Jack Russels are violent, same as all retrievers aren't softies but people need to research their breeds!!

All dogs can be violent, whether it be terriers or labs and should never be trusted. Sometimes its the owners that need researched not the breeds! I have terriers and they are the most docile animals, would i allow them near my child, no! I do however think this has been a tragic accident, they baby was not mauled, just bitten once. What that poor family must be going through doesnt bare thinking about. It has however highlighted the dangers in the press and might make parents more aware of the dangers and stop this happening again.

I'm always curious when people say they don't let their dogs near their children. My dogs are always supervised when around my LO but they go up to see her when she's in her jumper and such. In the mornings my little dog comes to visit her in our bed and gives her kisses.

Do people keep their dogs in different rooms at all times? Not let them within arm's reach of their baby?

Because unless you keep them 10ft apart at all times there's room for accidents.

I'm always curious when people say they don't let their dogs near their children. My dogs are always supervised when around my LO but they go up to see her when she's in her jumper and such. In the mornings my little dog comes to visit her in our bed and gives her kisses.

Do people keep their dogs in different rooms at all times? Not let them within arm's reach of their baby?

Because unless you keep them 10ft apart at all times there's room for accidents.

I cant speak for everyone but yes my dogs are kept seperate from my LO. I have baby gates seperating them. They have dining room and conservatory to themselves, baby is in living room which opens into dining room. I do agree there is always room for accidents and it can happen so quick. I do think these owners were not being irresponsible and it has just been a freak accident.

Awww this is horrible... I don't even trust my parents dog (who would never hurt anyone) around my LO... Just can't take the risk. Poor little bubs :(

I don't trust my cat. I certainly wouldn't trust a dog!

I would have thought that always keeping them apart and not introduing the baby to the dogs would cause more jealousy? If a dog is known to be aggressive then of course I wouldn't allow it near the baby. I have 2 small, very gentle dogs. They have been around small children since we got them & we made a big deal of including them in the life of LO. I think because of this there is no jealousy & they love him to bits.

In this case though, the dog was apparantly known to have been violent already. That poor mum must be going through absolute hell right now :-(

my mother has a jack and he wasn't allowed to be in the same room as lo when he was a new born as the sounds newborns made seemed to bring out his hunting instincts. once lo was walking he seemed to recognise him as human and his behavior changed completely. although we still wouldn't leave them alone in a room. my dog on the other hand is a complete submissive. she even rolls onto her back and presents her neck to puppies so we trusted her a lot more. even still they are never really alone together.

Yeah, I have seen people 'show' the baby to a dog.
It's a bit sketchy as to how it happened, I have to say Dezireey I love your avatar it's soooo cute

We 'showed' the dog our LO... but with a stair gate between them so they had no contact.

Our dog got very hyper... She's a big dopey collie cross... We decided that because of how she had been in the first week that we had no choice but to rehome her.
(Please bare in mind that our dog could jump the extra tall stair gates and on occasion had even knocked them out the door frame despite them being firmly tightened in... as much as we loved her, it's a risk we couldn't take)

I don't think I could have forgiven myself if she had got too hyper and jumped at bub in excitement. Even scratches from their claws can cause damage... It's not just bites to worry about. I'd hate to be responsible for her growing up scarred or worse blinded.

The other thing though is not all dogs live up to the temperament of their breeds. I have friends with kids and jack Russell's, rottweilers, alsations etc who are soft as putty.

It's not always the animals fault... Sometimes it's the owners fault for the way they've trained, or rather not trained the dogs. For example with our dog we never gave her soft toys to play with or encouraged her to play with pull toys as that would give off the wrong signals.

Also... Like others have said... as much as its a tragedy that it happened... But where is the common sense. Letting your dog get that close so soon after the birth without giving it chance to get used to the changes... Accident waiting to happen tbh

This is so sad. MIL has 2 dogs, a lab cross and a small dog (cant remember breed) well, BIL, his gf and 15week old baby are living there, on sunday we were there for dinner, me, OH, alex and MIL were in the kitchen, BIL was in bed, his gf then went upstairs, I went into the living room, the baby was alone in the bouncer with the dogs in same room :-( even though the dogs are soft as brushes and the smallest loves alex, they can never be trusted, mentioned it to MIL, gonna send them this link! X

Oh god! That poor baby and family. My thoughts are with them. Crying so hard right now!!! :(

Hate to say it and of course I am making an assumption about the parents of this baby but in nearly all these types of cases, the dog is not trained nor reared properly when they do something like this.

For every Doberman, Jack Russell and Pitbull that is aggressive, there is another that wouldnt harm a fly...so who is to blame here?

I respect animals and I understand that even the kindest ones such as my dogs can do unpredicatble things. I mean, my one lab's tail has a life of its own and my 2yr old nephew got whipped over and fell just by his tail wagging as he passed him, bless him. so its about kids and nice dogs not knowing their own strength a lot of the time as to why you should, at a basic level, keep them apart. No-one deserves this to happen to them at all and like I said, I am making a bit of a sweeping statement but did this dog just suddenly decide to bite the baby and he has been the most wonderful dog up till then? I find that really hard to believe being a dog owner of different breeds all my life.

People need to be extremely cautious if they know they have a dog (or even a cat for that matter) that is not of a wonderfully placid nature and /or may be prone to being a bit aggressive in general. In that kind of instance, vigilance when a baby is around is paramount because then you know are dealing with an animal that can be unpredicatable in behaviour. Like I mentioned previously, and in support of another poster who lets her dogs close to her kids, the majority of pets who ARE family members are actually the opposite and are wonderful, protective, kind creatures. I would hate anyone to be put off buying any dog that they can bring up in a loving environment just because of sad stories like this.

Its so horrific poor baby,lilly was petting my grans dog and it snapped in her face I felt like kicking the thing in the teeth safe to say she wont be back there xxx

Hate to say it and of course I am making an assumption about the parents of this baby but in nearly all these types of cases, the dog is not trained nor reared properly when they do something like this.

For every Doberman, Jack Russell and Pitbull that is aggressive, there is another that wouldnt harm a fly...so who is to blame here?

I respect animals and I understand that even the kindest ones such as my dogs can do unpredicatble things. I mean, my one lab's tail has a life of its own and my 2yr old nephew got whipped over and fell just by his tail wagging as he passed him, bless him. so its about kids and nice dogs not knowing their own strength a lot of the time as to why you should, at a basic level, keep them apart. No-one deserves this to happen to them at all and like I said, I am making a bit of a sweeping statement but did this dog just suddenly decide to bite the baby and he has been the most wonderful dog up till then? I find that really hard to believe being a dog owner of different breeds all my life.

People need to be extremely cautious if they know they have a dog (or even a cat for that matter) that is not of a wonderfully placid nature and /or may be prone to being a bit aggressive in general. In that kind of instance, vigilance when a baby is around is paramount because then you know are dealing with an animal that can be unpredicatable in behaviour. Like I mentioned previously, and in support of another poster who lets her dogs close to her kids, the majority of pets who ARE family members are actually the opposite and are wonderful, protective, kind creatures. I would hate anyone to be put off buying any dog that they can bring up in a loving environment just because of sad stories like this.

I love your labs there gorgeous wre gtn lilly a little lab for her birthday :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->