A week old baby killed by a Jack Russel

Reading this story has given me the extra boost to make it clear to my MIL that they wont be taking care of LO while SIL's dog is at their house. SIL has basically left her untrained and undisciplined boisterous dog for her parents to take care of, and they do not enforce any training on the dog whatsoever. It bursts through the back door whenever it pleases and they can't seem to control it.

Their previous dog attacked SIL and ripped her nose open. No one disciplined the dog for it, nothing happened... SIL had to get major plastic surgery done. The dog passed away form cancer a few months ago, and MIL speaks about the dog as being so lovely and friendly... whehn it was incredibly aggressive and untrained.

So yeah, they have absolutely no clue about dogs and I wont have my LO around it.

Maybe we should go back to the first post and pay our respects to that poor baby and his family instead of ripping chunks out of each other....

So sad makes me cry, I posted this in News&debates yesterday don't know if anyone has seen it but my heart goes out to the family.

Apparently the dog bit the baby on the head :nope:

this is truly awful. I can not comprehend what that poor family must be going through.

I have forwarded thsi to my hubby as MIL has a dog and under no circumstances is the dog allowed near LO and certainly NEVER to be left alone with LO.

This is just so sad, i welled up reading it.

What a tragic loss xxx

Another horrible attack on a toddler :cry:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-injuries-attacked-dog-played-roundabout.html

Such a sad story :cry: I've never ever like Jacks, they're nasty little dogs.. I've never met a nice one. So sad that they knew he was vicious, but it only takes a split second for accidents to happen :cry:

We have two small dogs that I fully trust with our LO, they are all allowed to be free together in the house and I know there won't be a problem.. I'm more worried about LO hurting the dogs to be honest! I grew up with a Golden Retriever who was the sweetest dog on the earth and wouldn't hurt a fly, I think it's whatever you're used to.. if you're not a dog person then you're going to have negative viewpoints.

It is very sad indeed. Thoughts to the family.

Our dog is around my child and is fine with him. however he is not great with other children (he is a rescue dog and is doing a lot better than when we first got him).
My nephews have been around and pick up his toys, well basically do not know how to behave around animals and for that reason i wont have them in the house.
They make my dog anxious and we all know how that could end.

My mum doesnt quite get it and said the dog should have to get used to other children. Yeh he is fine around my friends child who knows how to behave around him.
But if it were people like my mum who owned dogs, i could quite easily, through her ignorance see some terrible incident.

Reading this story has given me the extra boost to make it clear to my MIL that they wont be taking care of LO while SIL's dog is at their house. SIL has basically left her untrained and undisciplined boisterous dog for her parents to take care of, and they do not enforce any training on the dog whatsoever. It bursts through the back door whenever it pleases and they can't seem to control it.

Their previous dog attacked SIL and ripped her nose open. No one disciplined the dog for it, nothing happened... SIL had to get major plastic surgery done. The dog passed away form cancer a few months ago, and MIL speaks about the dog as being so lovely and friendly... whehn it was incredibly aggressive and untrained.

So yeah, they have absolutely no clue about dogs and I wont have my LO around it.

This is another issue, people who SAY their dog is/was harmless so that people don't judge them after something like this. Or they just love them too much to realize how badly trained they are.

i hate reading comments on stories such as this were people say 'i trust my dog hes fine around my baby' when will people start paying attention! a dog is an aninal and can snap unexpectedly. i was bitten by my nans 'soft as a brush' boxer when i was a kid. dogs and babies should be kept apart period!

I hate reading ignorant comments like yours aswell. I take it you are not a dog owner?

Did you not read a post earlier by someone who said that the mother of the baby in the topic of this thread in question actually knew her dog was aggressive?

So...owners at fault yet again as I predicted, NOT the animals.

An animal owner and breeder such as myself knows that ANY dog and I mean ANY dog (whether you think its daft as a brush or not) that bites a human has not been trained or reared properly and its owner is not doing a good job. If your statement were true, no-one in this world would own animals / pets and every single household with kids and babies would have dangerous animals biting everyone. Its just scaremongering. Places like the RSPCA are flooded with unwanted animals because people read stories like this and posts like yours and freak out and get rid of much loved and harmless pets.

Irresponsible owners should get penalised, not the dogs. I know its the best thing that this Jack Russell was euthanised after what it did but how unessecary is all this. A baby is dead and a dog has been put down because of irresponsible human owners who shouldn't have owned a dog in the first place.

Sorry but posts like yours really get my back up, :growlmad: my dogs have actually protected my child and before he was born they actually assisted my Mother who is Diabetic when she had a hypo and she could have gone into a coma if it wasnt for my dogs, as they are trained for that.

Oh and P.s just scour the internet for info on dogs that have put their lives on the line for soldiers, sniffer dogs in airports, dogs for the disabled and blind, hero dogs who actually save people from housefires and alert them to danger, dogs like greyfrairs bobby, loyal to the very end..........I could go on.

my comment is 100 percent NOT ignorant. i have a staff and a sharpae. are they trained and well behaved? yes. are they trusted and treated well? yes. are they ever under any circumstances around near my seven week old baby unsupervised? no.

if more people shared my mind set then we wouldnt keep seeing stories such as this were an innocent baby has lost its life.

im not saying every dog owner should turf their dog out on the street but its alien to me that people trust an animal with their childrens lives. all it takes is a stair gate to keep them apart.

even if you do get careful owners who do everything right, reading how people trust their dogs with their babies just reinforces ignorant dog owners whos 'trusted family pet' then goes on to do something like this.

if your dog is trusted and you can assure hel never bite then good for you. but the scar on my face off my nans dog will make sure my LO is never put in that same position.

edit: you act like i am dog bashing in my post when i am not at all? this just happens to much for my liking and its completley avoidable.

I would never trust LO with anyone else's dog, not even my sisters. And never with a rescue or a dog under four. I love rescues, when she gets older we will definitely take a rescue but someone else trained it and I don't trust others.

I am all for babies and children interacting with trained dogs - but I don't understand why it's necessary to leave a LO alone with a dog, whether they are trained or not. I just feel it's an unnecessary risk to take.... and I am the proud owner of 2 very well trained dogs, but i am also very aware of the nature of the dog and if they can make themselves pack leader, then they will! And what comes with that self proclaimed territory from a dog is reactive behavior - which is usually a bite driven by instinct. It's just not worth it. It only takes a single moment of a dog feeling they are pack leader, which can end in disaster. Definitely not a risk I am willing to take, even with my dogs.

There is no way a baby can make themselves known as 'pack leader' when left alone with a dog. That is our job to do until the child is old enough to train the dog themselves. People forget that dogs; while they are wonderful creatures, need ongoing training.

This story makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

My dad has a dog (I live with my parents) and she is never allowed anywhere near my daughter, not that she shows any interest in her anyway. I don't like dogs, I don't trust them & I don't ever want to own one. I love cats but after having bubzy I won't own one either. My opinion, my choice.

Dogs & cats are animals, it doesn't matter how bloody well trained they are, how well loved they are, they can still turn. I've witnessed it, I've seen it happen. For that reason I'll always ask my friends if their dogs can be put away when I come visit, if they say no then I won't go round.

All pet owners have to do is keep their pet and their baby separate!

I'll stick to fish & water turtles as pets, thanks. Least they're locked away in a big tank.

RIP gorgeous boy, I hope you know how loved you are! :flower:

Another horrible attack on a toddler :cry:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-injuries-attacked-dog-played-roundabout.html

I live by this park... And yes it's horrible to read this has happened too
BUT

It does go to show that even if you avoided dogs in your own home or family/friends homes... Doesnt mean you're preventing this happening.

Kids COULD drown in baths, but we don't remove the bath
They COULD burn their hands on a stove, but we don't remove the stove

Any accident COULD happen at any time but you can't prevent everything

Short of wrapping our kids in bubble wrap and putting them in a small padded room we shouldn't go round being scared of every thing that COULD happen

It's stupid owners not stupid dogs

Did y'all read the whole article? The dog was already known to be vicious. This wasn't some sweet family dog that suddenly snapped. I smell negligence or stupidity. Either way, it's a complete tragedy. That poor baby.

I hope no-one will start jack-russell bashing. No dog is safe around a new baby - end of. Doesn't matter about how well behaved it is, how trustworthy it is, or what breed it is.

I have a jack russell cross. He's excellent with the kids, but until we were sure that we had laid down the rules he was not allowed to approach Earl or Edward without permission, and now they're never left alone. Earl will occasionally play with him in the garden but I can see them the whole time.

As a PP said, it's stupid owners not stupid dogs! In my opinion as well as putting the dog down, they need some kind of consequence for the owner too. Unfortunately if a dog has bitten once it's more likely to do it again, and it's quality of life just isn't worth the risk.

Poor little mite - I don't like to think about it. It upsets me too much. That little baby didn't have a clue. :cry:

Jack russells aren't necessarily vicious - but people buy them as "small dogs" and then forget they have huge exercise needs (moreso than most large breeds and even working breeds like border collies). I've met dozens of Jack russells in my life and sure enough, the vicious ones are pretty easy to find- they are bored, too much energy, and nobody does anything for it.

I have a typical "aggressive" breed (Shiba Inu) and he's never been an issue because we deal with his exercise needs. I don't leave him unsupervised around the baby though.

Sad article!

It isnt always stupid owners.

ANY dog can snap no matter the training.

My family have never been a family of dog owners, but my uncle and family took in a rescue dog last year. The dog is pretty good natured, but he barks at his lead, and he's never been around children before. They don't understand why we're not happy to have them together, so we have stopped visiting. Last time we went to my nan's house, they brought the dog round while on his evening walk. They didn't know we were there. The dog ran into the room my LO was in and LO screamed (as you would, a big black dog suddenly appeared in the doorway!) Fortunately the dog just ran in the opposite direction, but I said the my OH that if he'd decided to fight rather than run, we'd have not avoided something really bad happening.

There are always dogs running around the canal towpath off their leads, and they bark at the geese and generally don't seem particularly calm. I don't mind dogs, but my OH isn't keen on them at all. I don't want LO to grow up to be afraid of them, but people allowing their dogs to run riot certainly don't help the case.

In some ways, these stories making the national press is a good thing, as maybe it will bring some awareness of how important it is to raise and look after a dog properly.

That poor child.

I got such a cold sick feeling in my stomach when I read it imagining what happened to that poor poor child :( especially looking at my lil man :(

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepa...-killed-by-single-bite-from-grandads-dog.html

From this story it says the mum turned her back for a second and the dog got the baby.

Poor poor thing :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"