Accelerated heart rate and hard to breathe

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I woke up at 3 am feeling anxious (I've previously been on meds for anxiety but haven't taken any since becoming pregnant) and having trouble getting back to sleep. Eventually, I fell back asleep and my DH let me sleep in. I met my DH and DD out and have felt 'off' all morning. My heart rate has been very high 90-110 and have had a tough time getting a full breath. I'm currently laying down and resting to bring my heart rate down to its normal 70ish range. I'm currently 22 weeks and I haven't really experienced this before....aside from the normal breathlessness going up stairs/exercise or baby making it tougher to breathe. I should add that baby has been doing flips and kicks all morning.

Any suggestions?

It sounds like it could've been a panic attack. I'd give your doctor a call and rule out anything physical and see if you can get some extra support for the anxiety. Pregnancy can be such an anxious time anyway but it can be even harder if you have existing anxiety.

It sounds like it could've been a panic attack. I'd give your doctor a call and rule out anything physical and see if you can get some extra support for the anxiety. Pregnancy can be such an anxious time anyway but it can be even harder if you have existing anxiety.

Thanks for the reply, jellybean! I am wondering if it was lingering anxiety from when I woke up in the middle of the night, but it's weird because I wasn't "feeling" anxious or stressed. I put in a message for my midwife, so just waiting to see if she wants to see me this week.

I was resting on and off all morning, and was able to bring my HR down in the 70's. However, anytime I would get up to go to the restroom, it would shoot up back into the 90's.:dohh:

Sounds stressful on its own! Hope your midwife gets back to you soon.

I'm sorry you're going through this. My anxiety has really been rearing it's ugly head lately too. I just close my eyes and focus on my breathing, in through the nose out through the mouth. Over and over again. Unfortunately mine is related to behaviors, checking things are off, unplugged etc so this technique doesn't always work. Know you're not alone.

It does sound like a panic attack. When I had my first one I wasn't feeling particularly anxious ( that I was aware of) at that moment but it came on me suddenly and felt exactly like you described. I've since linked mine with days when my caffeine intake has been too high but when I've got a lot on my mind they seem to pop up also.

It does sound like a panic attack. When I had my first one I wasn't feeling particularly anxious ( that I was aware of) at that moment but it came on me suddenly and felt exactly like you described. I've since linked mine with days when my caffeine intake has been too high but when I've got a lot on my mind they seem to pop up also.

Thanks for your reply! I have had panic attacks before, but I don't think that it was a panic attack this time. I did, however, just eat breakfast (1/2 cup of coffee and cereal), so with the anxiety early this morning, combined with the caffeine, it could have really set things off. We've been monitoring my HR and its still high, but hasn't been over 100. :thumbup:

Is the SOB relieved with rest?

This morning, it seemed as though the shortness of breath was relieved when I was resting.

I'm also thinking that at this point, the baby is getting bigger and making it harder to breathe. Last night, it felt like the only good deep breaths I could take were if I was sitting up really straight (almost arching my back backwards) to open up my diaphragm.

I'm sorry you're going through this. My anxiety has really been rearing it's ugly head lately too. I just close my eyes and focus on my breathing, in through the nose out through the mouth. Over and over again. Unfortunately mine is related to behaviors, checking things are off, unplugged etc so this technique doesn't always work. Know you're not alone.

I'm sorry you struggle with anxiety too. :hugs: It's especially not fun while you are pregnant! I've only had a handful of episodes of anxiety since I've stopped taking my medicine and became pregnant, and it's very tough! Like you said, mindfulness and breathing have helped ease the anxiety.

Yeah it sounds like its just the growing baby. Sometimes SOB that is unresolved with rest can be a sign of a blood clot, which pregnant women can be more prone to developing. But it would not resolve with rest. I get SOB now too. Especially unloading groceries, carrying kids, going up the stairs, etc. And sometimes being SOB can make you feel anxious and they can feed off of one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->