Access to Midwifrey

xTaylorsMummy

Pregnant with Number 2 =]
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im so confused its untrue .

Im 19 and pregnant with my second who is due soon. Iv decided 2010 is my year to change everything around .

Iv been college but did Art & Design. But i am really really intrested in working in the Midwife area. But i did complete and utter rubbish on my gcses .

Any idea if there is any courses i could take at college ect to help me get into this area? I have no idea where to start or anything .

Any little help would be very very welcome.

Thank you

I would do some phoning around to midwifery/nursing courses.... Don't let your lack of quals put you off...there is always a way around it. You can re-take or do A levels/NVQ's through the OU or night school.

If you're interested, do some research, ask your own midwife about how she got into it and what her background is. I'm sure that she would be willing to talk to you about it.

Best of luck hun....sounds like a really worthwhile thing to do! :hugs:

Yes Hun you caan do an a access to nursing course... No qualifications needed and thy basicly cram everything in to 1 year. Hard work but quickest way. You'd then have to go to uni for 3 years and do general nursing. Then branch of onto midwifery x

You'd then have to go to uni for 3 years and do general nursing. Then branch of onto midwifery x

You don't have to do nursing first , you can go straight onto the three year Midwifery degree :)

Look into access to nursing or midwifery courses at local colleges. These are normally done over one year, or two years part time. You can then apply to university to do the 3 year direct-entry midwifery program, or if you have an interest in nursing also you can do a 3 year nursing program followed by an 18 month midwifery conversion.

The second option is obviously more long winded but some people chose this route as a. it gives you more employment opportunities if you're interested in nursing/healthcare in general and b. places for the direct entry midwifery program are very limited and competition is fierce!

There are drawbacks to doing nursing first however, as if your heart truly lies in midwifery you may find it hard to stay commited through 3 years of nurse training. Also many universities no longer offer the 18 month conversion or only have limited places for it, so again it's worth researching the courses available at your local universities.

Most unis have open days for people considering undergraduate nursing/midwifery and the staff would be able to point you in the right direction and answer any questions you might have.

Lots of luck! :thumbup:

Your best bet would be to contact the unis you are interested in and ask them what qualifications they need for you to begin your midwifery degree. If you have to attend college first, look on your local college website to see if they do the course that you need...then before you know it you will be at uni :) You can go onto a midwifery degree straight away for 3 years. Goodluck hun xx

sorry no advise, i also wanted to be a midwife but too finished school with average grades but failed science, so never thought i would be able to train. well done you for taking the step and changing your life around for the better. good luck with it, let us know how you get on xxx

I would be looking to get back to college - either to complete some A-levels or to do the access to nursing course. Unfortunately there is no direct equivalent for midwifery, but it will stand you in good stead for the academic side of the course.

Entry to midwifery courses is fierce, so the more you can do to stand out (relevant volunteering etc) will only help your application

x

Acess to health and social care courses get you into this... there are direct courses hun to. I did a cadet course and got an nvq 2 and am now studying adult nursing (one year to go) then once im qualified I'll do the 18 month course to be a midwife. Purely because I wanted to be a adult nurse and midwife as i'd like to have the flexibility of both particuarly useful if you ever are out of work and do the odd shifts on nhs professionals... plus its helpful to have a wide knowledge of adult nursing being a midwife as the mother is adult... x

Also you wont lose out on money if you trained as an adult nurse first you could get a job then get seconded and get paid a full salary to train as a midwife to! ;)

I looked into this myself and found a few different routes that will allow you to go to a University to study a BA (Hons) Midwifery degree.

1.) 'Access to Nursing' course (2 years)

No prior qualifications are required to do this course, which is usually offered at local colleges to mature students (and younger students occasionally). It helps get your english/maths/ict etc up to scratch whilst also teaching the basic subject knowledge required.

2.) A Levels (2 Years)

You'd need to study 2/3 A Levels including Health and Social care and/or Biology, and you might be required to have a GCSE in these subjects first.

3.) BTEC Health and Social (2 Years)

Most colleges offer a range of BTECs in Nursing/Health and Social care and once these are completed you can usually do a degree in Nursing/Midwifery.

4.) NVQS

If you do your NVQs to level 3/4 then you should be able to jump straight into a degree in Midwifery. However, these can be time consuming to complete and you need to be working/volunteering whilst you do them.

Hi Hun,

I'm in the same situation as you, I am also pregnant with my 2nd child however I am slighty older I'm 26.

As I don't the relevant GCSE's to go straight to Uni I am starting access to Midwifery over 2 years as my 1st year is catching up with Maths,English & Science GCSE.

After that it will be 3years at UNI.

I was due to start the course on the 14th Sept 09 but as my baby is due a couple of weeks later they advised me to wait until Jan 10 to start the first course and then the 2nd in Sept 10...I am confused also but its just a matter of waiting for me. If I had got my poxy gcse's then I'd be straight of to Uni :cry:

With you only been 19 you might be able to do your gcse's over a year, I was told as I was 26 I wouldn't be able to...worth checking out.

Good Luck xx

I have no advice, but I have also always wanted to do midwifery.
I currently work as a home support worker, caring for disabled people and elderly, and unfortunately am in no situation to go to uni, since I need to pay the bills with my hubby.
What GCSE's do you need, and at what grade?
Also, are they still valid.. i'm almost 24 and I have been told they are irrelevant after a certain age.

I have no advice, but I have also always wanted to do midwifery.
I currently work as a home support worker, caring for disabled people and elderly, and unfortunately am in no situation to go to uni, since I need to pay the bills with my hubby.
What GCSE's do you need, and at what grade?
Also, are they still valid.. i'm almost 24 and I have been told they are irrelevant after a certain age.

You'd be entitled to help if you went to university, i'm going this year and i'm entitled to £2906 a year that I don't have to pay back and £4283 a year as a loan to spend to cover housing etc and most universities give you up to £1500 non-repayable as a bursary - last year I got £1050 and an additional £500 grant for being from a low-income familly.

So... thats £8689 (4406 non-repayable) and all your tuition fees are covered by a seperate loan. Most uni courses are only 12 - 20 hours a week too even though they're classed as full-time so you could still work weekends :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->