Accomodating babies at weddings. stuck!!

missk1989

Reaction score
I am getting married in July and have invited quite a few young children. There are 4 babies who will be 6-9 months 2 toddlers about 18-20 months and then some pre-school aged and two 6-8 year olds. My venue only has 3 highchairs. My dilema is do i use the highchairs for the toddlers as they will be eating more than the babies and tell mums of babies there is no chair for their babies or tell mums of toddlers that they will have to sit on boosters even though they probably wont be comfortable and give highchairs to the babies (still one short though).
Im leaning towards highchairs for young toddlers and babies in prams or on mums knees but knowing it can be a bit awkward im worried about inconveniencing anyone.
what would you do?

Personally I would have toddlers in boosters as ds hated highchair at that age and then explain only 3 highchairs and ask for mums to bring their own or go without! I'm pretty sure someone will bring an extra. Know I would and my lo was always happier in his own!

How close are you to the mums? Could you ask them? Some of them may have portable booster seats that they can bring along. My DD had a portable seat that was suitable from 6 months though most are from 12 months, so see what they have.

Some babies who are 6-9 months might end up spending the whole time sitting on mum's lap but I know my DD would've gone in the highchair - and I'd have been disappointed if I went to a wedding and didn't have a highchair. It's hard work taking babies to weddings, it's worse if you then don't even have your hands free for eating your own meal.

The 18-20 months may be in booster seats normally anyway - some that age are in highchairs, sone in boosters. My DD was in a booster then. The pre-schoolers won't need special seats.

I would look into borrowing or hiring more highchairs/booster seats, if the mums don't have their own.

I know one of the toddlers would be fine on a booster but the other is very small for his age and definitley wouldnt fit on a booster. Im close to one of the mothers babies but she is coming from an hour away and doesnt drive so bringing her own highchair is not an option. Another is coming from about 4 hours away so again might struggle. Then again she is staying by us with her gran for a week so its possible she will be bringing one anyway.
I know when my lo was younger it would have been a pain without a highchair so do want to accomodate them all.

I would just get highchairs for them all. my son is 20months and sits in his highchair to eat his food.

We planned to take Ivy to a wedding at 9 monthish, our idea was to leave her in her carseat? And toddler Evelyn in a highchair.

x

Just ask! People won't mind and many will have made their own plans. I had three highchairs at my wedding for my LO, my niece, and my friends' daughter, and none got used! My niece was asleep and the other two ran around with the balloons the entire night and when they did sit down it was on the normal chairs.

ide tell them all that there are NO high chairs at all & they will need to bring their own, that way most of them will & then on the day just say that they have managed to provide 3 incase people forgot etc but its on a 1st come 1st served basis. xx

ide tell them all that there are NO high chairs at all & they will need to bring their own, that way most of them will & then on the day just say that they have managed to provide 3 incase people forgot etc but its on a 1st come 1st served basis. xx

That's exactly what I would do. As a mum, I don't necessarily expect people to always accommodate for me. I bought my high chair knowing I might need to take it along with us here and there when we visit some place. I wouldn't think twice if my friend informed me about the lack of chairs and if I could bring my own for my kiddo. Wouldn't bat an eye really. I would want one though as I would want to be able to enjoy my meal as well. I know some babies that age will probably be eating too so I don't think keeping a baby that young on my lap all evening and then juggling feeding them and feeding myself while I am all dressed up would make for a good time. At the worse, I would just plop baby on an extra chair in the car seat if the chair is large enough. I know a high chair is a big piece to bring but it should be doable if they aren't bringing food and other things. We have a small car and manage to fit it just fine with other things in as well.

Otherwise, if IKEA has really cheap ones, maybe you can buy those but what would you do with them after? Not really handy I think.

:flower:

I fed my baby in the pram at the last wedding I was at

If there aren't enough mums with their own travel seats you could buy an extra one or two?

These booster seats are £15...

https://www.tesco.com/direct/safety...ageLevel=&skuId=481-6457#product-details-link

These highchairs are £12...

https://m.ikea.com/gb/en/stores/

Just let them know there are very few/no high chairs, my DS has refused to sit in one for a few months now, but we also have a travel booster seat and when they were younger I would have kept them in the buggy, a lot of times at weddings the high chairs are empty and the kids are anywhere but in them!

I don't think you can be blamed for the venue not having many highchairs. Thinking about it, I'm not sure ours does either!

I would explain there are no highchairs and ask them to bring one / a booster or use a pram etc.

I would have no problem taking my own to a wedding (and bought a travel one for events like this!)

Honestly if I was going to a wedding I would never have expected the them to provide high chairs etc . . . I would just make do for the night.

My uncle had a very posh castle wedding and I was expecting him to say it was a no kids event but he said my boys were welcome to come - my boys were the only kids there and they had put a child's menu together just for my oldest (youngest was not on solids at the time) but he did provide seating for him.

I was very surprised and had never expected it

maybe your friends are the same?

Let them know and if they are stuck they can make do or buy one from ikea for £10ish. It comea apart very easily and is a brilliant full sized one thats great for travelling.

As a mum of 3 toddlers, having no high chairs at an event like this would be a disaster! As someone else said, advise the parents that there are no highchair and they will probably be happy to bring their own. I certainly would. That way everybody gets to enjoy the themselves, an the kiddies really get to be part of the day.

P.S how lovely of u to invite the babies/toddlers, most people don't bother. And how lovely of u to give the high chair situation so much consideration x

Highchairs for babies imo. My kids were both fine at a table and chair by 18 months.

We had to take our own to a wedding we went to in august 2012 when oscar was 1

As a mum of 3 toddlers, having no high chairs at an event like this would be a disaster! As someone else said, advise the parents that there are no highchair and they will probably be happy to bring their own. I certainly would. That way everybody gets to enjoy the themselves, an the kiddies really get to be part of the day.

P.S how lovely of u to invite the babies/toddlers, most people don't bother. And how lovely of u to give the high chair situation so much consideration x

Kids make weddings for me and I have a toddler so would be very hypocritical to say no kids. I really want people to enjoy themselves and I know i wouldnt have if i had to have my baby on my knee at a wedding. I also wouldnt have enjoyed if i had to leave my son behind especially as most people are travelling at least 50 miles to join us. :flower:

I would just tell them that they will need to provide their own highchairs if they want one.. I didn't even think about that when i had my wedding but then again their was only one baby at my wedding and she was my maid of honor's baby and was on her hip even during my wedding! So she didn't need a high chair

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->