ADD Screening Appointment, what to expect?

MissyR

Reaction score
My son is 7 years old, and has developmental delays. He is in a special education program, and also in speech therapy. He has been in these programs since the age of 2.

I have an appointment set up for him to be screened for ADD. During his last individual education plan (IEP) meeting, it was suggested to me from several of his teachers that this might be his issue.

My question is, what can my doctor do to diagnose him with ADD? Is there some sort of test or just the questionaire tests his teachers and I have already filled out? What should I expect from my doctor?

Had the appointment today. My son is now officially diagnosed with ADD and on Ritalin LA 10 mg a day. Anyone with any experience with this medication got any tips or advice for me? What can I expect?

Wow! When I read your post, I actually thought "did i write this?".

My son is also 7 years old with developmental delays and he is also in a special education program. He has been seeing a speech therapist and occupational therapist since he was 2.

My paediatrician made me and his teacher last year fill out a questionnaire last year and showed he was ADHD (attention - not hyperactivity). My son(Ro) finds it very difficult to concentrate at school but he can sit for hours at home drawing or things he loves. So I knew he had the ability to concentrate. Furthermore, my paediatrician wanted Ro to be medicated. Medication is my absolute last resort. Also discussions with Ro's OTs (we see 2 different therapists) told me they didn't feel this diagnosis was exactly accurate. They feel it is a sensory issue.

I decided with the help of our OT to see a child psychologist who did tests on him. We went for 2 sessions. The results showed that his attention and concentration was even higher than a "normal" child. The psychologist said he didn't think Ro needed to be medicated. He would have suggested it if he thought it would help Ro but he doesn't think it will help at all.

At this stage I've chosen not to medicate him. We've tried using sensory tools suggested by the OT to help him concentrate in class.

Has your son seen an occupational therapist? Alot of sensory children display ADD type behaviours but are actually sensory seeking. This can be overcome with therapy. I am not against medication but I've read some pretty scary stuff about medicating children. I've also read positive things medication has done for the right child. I guess its a matter of choice.

I'm really interested to know how Ritalin is working for him as your son seems to have the same profile as mine. Ro goes to mainstream school next year so I have to see how he goes.

I haven't started him on Ritalin yet, I'm really nervous about it! I just have very mixed emotions, yes i want my son to do better, and feel better. But do I have to drug him to get there?

I haven't taken him to an occupational therapist. And I've been reading up on ADD and things, I'm thinking he could have several other different issues, and it not totally be ADD. I will be taking him to get a second opinion before I start any medications.

Hi, I am in uk so it may be slightly different here.

I agree that many children are sensory seeking. My son had a private OT assessment which we realised his vestibular system was unbalanced, hence his constant moving and fidgeting.

An OT is definitely worth it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->