Adoption Reform

I'd love us to adopt a child but according to the guidelines I'm too fat to.

OMG. They are looney tunes. I cannot believe you are not allowed to adopt a child because of your weight.

I am disgusted.

:hugs: You will be a fabulous mummy :hugs:

Crikey! I never knew it would be that hard to adopt. The system needs reworking. How can being overweight a good enough indication on whether someone will be a good parent? Some people have medical problems where they can't shift the weight. I wouldn't meet the criteria which is sad because I could have future fertlity problems and adoption won't be an option for me

I'd love us to adopt a child but according to the guidelines I'm too fat to.

This is not true. As part of the medical that is done for any couple who wish to be approved as adopters a persons weight (BMI) will be taken into account when assessing if the person is physically and mentally able to deal with a demanding child. If you are overweight but live a healthy lifestyle and are taken steps to eat a healthy balanced diet and try to lose weight, then you will be seen as taking positive steps to improve your weight and will not be held against you.

If you are a smoker you are not allowed to adopt a child under the age of 5, however if you have given up for a year and continue to not smoke then you would be considered for a younger child if approved to adopt.

Thanks Carebear - I'll have to look more closely into it.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread with my pity party!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->