• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advantages and disadvantages of living in the USA?

So again- our system isn't perfect but it's not as fatalistic a situation as some are saying.

I agree with this. I actually get really frustrated with exlaimations like, "I'd never live in the US - healthcare and education are astronomically expensive, how does anyone survive?!!!!". We certainly have our issues, but it's seriously not as dire as it's made out to be.

Hubby occasionally gets asked to work in Texas and/or Seattle we are thinking when Amy is a bit older to move :flower:

how much would the average person pay a month for healthcare insureance? just curious

I was gunna ask the same! And what do you do if you can't afford health insurance and you get sick?

You die. :/ It's the sad truth in America. And if you can't get a job that offers health insurance and have a preexisting condition, you're not getting private health insurance at all.

(Sorry, I'm bitter on the health care debate. My husband loves his job but it doesn't offer benefits at all. Job you love or health care for your family is a shitty choice.)

Just for the record, you aren't just left to die.... you can walk into any emergency room in the USA and get cared for, regardless of ability to pay. It's posted in every ER. I know many young adults who have battled cancer without the ability to pay (or insurance) and they weren't refused care. It's illegal to withhold life saving medical care.

I'm not saying are system is perfect by any means.. but come on...

And i say this as someone who's had 2 major surgeries with no insurance. its not impossible, and in general, hospitals will work with you.
They will work to stabilize you. And then, if you aren't inpatient or need meds, you're hosed. They are obligated to fix an emergency. You will not get your chemotherapy covered. (Unless you're already dying from it, and you're inpatient at that point.)

And if you do manage to get them to work on you, prepare to be in debt for the rest of your natural life or forced into bankruptcy.

Thats not true at all sorry. I dont have health insurance, I cant have medicaid. Ive been to Dr's and hospitals as well as in an ambulance....they WILL see you, and they WILL treat you.

You'll be sent a bill, and yes its very very expensive, but if you talk to them, call them, most of them have a financial assistance available through the hospital where they pay a % of your bill based on income. Otherwise they set up a payment plan with you.

you do not simply get ignored and die, thats scaremongering. :growlmad:

Hubby occasionally gets asked to work in Texas and/or Seattle we are thinking when Amy is a bit older to move :flower:

I've never been to Texas but Seattle is a fanastic city, I've spent a lot of time there.

My sister had a brain tumor at 17, it was treated and she is now 28. They own their own business, therefore have private insurance. Unfortunately, she has what they consider a pre-existing condition, and was denied any form of coverage by any of the insurance companies they queried. Last year she started feeling sick, and paid an outrageous amount of money to see her doctor. After multiple tests costing thousands of dollars, they discovered she has multiple tumors on her liver. She has repeatedly applied for both Medicaid and the state program, and after many appeals is still denied coverage because they go by her family' GROSS income from their business, not net. With gross income, they don't take into account any of the monthly overhead to keep the business running therefore the "income" on paper disqualifies her for any assistance whatsoever. With three children, she now lives in fear that her liver could eventually cause them to lose everything. I wish I could say her case is rare, but millions of Americans face the same exact reality everyday.

My sister had a brain tumor at 17, it was treated and she is now 28. They own their own business, therefore have private insurance. Unfortunately, she has what they consider a pre-existing condition, and was denied any form of coverage by any of the insurance companies they queried. Last year she started feeling sick, and paid an outrageous amount of money to see her doctor. After multiple tests costing thousands of dollars, they discovered she has multiple tumors on her liver. She has repeatedly applied for both Medicaid and the state program, and after many appeals is still denied coverage because they go by her family' GROSS income from their business, not net. With gross income, they don't take into account any of the monthly overhead to keep the business running therefore the "income" on paper disqualifies her for any assistance whatsoever. With three children, she now lives in fear that her liver could eventually cause them to lose everything. I wish I could say her case is rare, but millions of Americans face the same exact reality everyday.

I pray she can hold on til Jan 1st when the pre-existing clause goes away.

I pray she can hold on til Jan 1st when the pre-existing clause goes away.

Thank you:) She has good days and days when the pain flares up a bit. She dreads those days, knowing that she can suck it up or make a trip to the doc which will set her back yet another 4k with the required MRI. It's heartbreaking to watch her worry as much as she does. When her focus should be on her health, she is worried how it will affect everyone around her.

how much would the average person pay a month for healthcare insureance? just curious

I was gunna ask the same! And what do you do if you can't afford health insurance and you get sick?

You die. :/ It's the sad truth in America. And if you can't get a job that offers health insurance and have a preexisting condition, you're not getting private health insurance at all.

(Sorry, I'm bitter on the health care debate. My husband loves his job but it doesn't offer benefits at all. Job you love or health care for your family is a shitty choice.)

Just for the record, you aren't just left to die.... you can walk into any emergency room in the USA and get cared for, regardless of ability to pay. It's posted in every ER. I know many young adults who have battled cancer without the ability to pay (or insurance) and they weren't refused care. It's illegal to withhold life saving medical care.

I'm not saying are system is perfect by any means.. but come on...

And i say this as someone who's had 2 major surgeries with no insurance. its not impossible, and in general, hospitals will work with you.
They will work to stabilize you. And then, if you aren't inpatient or need meds, you're hosed. They are obligated to fix an emergency. You will not get your chemotherapy covered. (Unless you're already dying from it, and you're inpatient at that point.)

And if you do manage to get them to work on you, prepare to be in debt for the rest of your natural life or forced into bankruptcy.

Thats not true at all sorry. I dont have health insurance, I cant have medicaid. Ive been to Dr's and hospitals as well as in an ambulance....they WILL see you, and they WILL treat you.

You'll be sent a bill, and yes its very very expensive, but if you talk to them, call them, most of them have a financial assistance available through the hospital where they pay a % of your bill based on income. Otherwise they set up a payment plan with you.

you do not simply get ignored and die, thats scaremongering. :growlmad:

People often don't take into account the costs associated with a chronic illness. Yes, a trip to the ER or doctor may be manageable, but what about an uninsured individual who is diagnosed with leukemia? The ER and GPs cannot facilitate a proper course of treatment, and oncology bills, even when negotiated, can leave you with astronomical monthly payments for the rest of your life. For many, they are faced with the choice of treatment or ensuring that a roof remains over their family's head (who incur the remaining debt in many cases after the loved one passes). It's a choice that NO person should ever have to face.

Did her state opt into the federal high risk insurance pool? I know the costs are astronomical, but it might get her in for tests faster? I know Utah has a high risk pool.

She lives in Oregon. I'm not exactly sure, although I'm inclined to say no as she has exhausted EVERY avenue and is still without any help or coverage whatsoever.:(

Edit to add: I was incorrect:) She applied for the coverage, and was denied because one insurance company has apparently offered her "conditional coverage" that excludes treatment of her preexisting conditions, but will cover a small percentage of any other issues for a monthly premium of over $1,000 plus a deductible of $1,000 for any claim.

I've never been to Texas but Seattle is a fanastic city, I've spent a lot of time there.

I've been to Texas once and thought it was great, and we move there in a few weeks! EEEEE I'M SO EXCITED! Let me know if you need some info on it in the future, maybe ill be able to help :D

I totally agree! My family roots come from Seattle, so I've gone a lot through my life. I never fail to fall back in love with it:) We are actually planning to (hopefully!) relocate there in a few years.

I totally agree! My family roots come from Seattle, so I've gone a lot through my life. I never fail to fall back in love with it:) We are actually planning to (hopefully!) relocate there in a few years.

Well if hubby takes the job offer i will ask for tips :flower:

She lives in Oregon. I'm not exactly sure, although I'm inclined to say no as she has exhausted EVERY avenue and is still without any help or coverage whatsoever.:(

Edit to add: I was incorrect:) She applied for the coverage, and was denied because one insurance company has apparently offered her "conditional coverage" that excludes treatment of her preexisting conditions, but will cover a small percentage of any other issues for a monthly premium of over $1,000 plus a deductible of $1,000 for any claim.
Oh, geez! I thought the point of the high risk pool was to get your preexisting issues covered.

I'm so grateful I'm a veteran. Thank you, taxpayers, for the VA system. May we all someday have equally good socialized medicine benefits.

I've been to Texas once and thought it was great, and we move there in a few weeks! EEEEE I'M SO EXCITED! Let me know if you need some info on it in the future, maybe ill be able to help :D

Eeek! How exciting. It looks amazing. I guess coming from the UK, the size of the kitchens/houses must be shocking to you!!!

Oh good luck! It's so beautiful. I'm originally from Vancouver (British Columbia, not WA) and Seattle felt like a 2nd home. We even got engaged on an argosy cruise right at the downtown harbour :cloud9: And wandered drunk through the Pike Market binging on Reese cookies that you can't get in Canada... (don't worry, we'd only been dating 3 weeks, we didn't have the kids yet :rofl:).

Oooh exciting!! Where abouts?

Oh, geez! I thought the point of the high risk pool was to get your preexisting issues covered.

I'm so grateful I'm a veteran. Thank you, taxpayers, for the VA system. May we all someday have equally good socialized medicine benefits.

As am I! People have their gripes about TriCare, but during the 10 years I served in the Navy I never once had to worry about insurance coverage and getting sick.

As am I! People have their gripes about TriCare, but during the 10 years I served in the Navy I never once had to worry about insurance coverage and getting sick.

You were Navy too? Awesome, I was an ET. You?

You were Navy too? Awesome, I was an ET. You?

Aircrew CTI. Lol I spent 10 years trying to break the spook stereotype, but I'm only one woman hahaha. There was only so much I could do!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->