• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advantages and disadvantages of living in the USA?

Your job was probably cooler. ;) I spent too much time fixing assorted coffee pots and playstations! I was only in for 4 though.

Hubby occasionally gets asked to work in Texas and/or Seattle we are thinking when Amy is a bit older to move :flower:

I've never been to Texas but Seattle is a fanastic city, I've spent a lot of time there.

I've been to Texas once and thought it was great, and we move there in a few weeks! EEEEE I'M SO EXCITED! Let me know if you need some info on it in the future, maybe ill be able to help :D

Eeek! How exciting. It looks amazing. I guess coming from the UK, the size of the kitchens/houses must be shocking to you!!!

Yes, it's amazing what the price of our place here can get out there!

Hubby occasionally gets asked to work in Texas and/or Seattle we are thinking when Amy is a bit older to move :flower:

I've never been to Texas but Seattle is a fanastic city, I've spent a lot of time there.

I've been to Texas once and thought it was great, and we move there in a few weeks! EEEEE I'M SO EXCITED! Let me know if you need some info on it in the future, maybe ill be able to help :D

Oooh exciting!! Where abouts?

Dallas. Hubby is there already, can't wait to join him, he loves it and I'm getting so impatient waiting to go!

Eeek! How exciting. It looks amazing. I guess coming from the UK, the size of the kitchens/houses must be shocking to you!!!

Yes, it's amazing what the price of our place here can get out there!

Oooh exciting!! Where abouts?

Dallas. Hubby is there already, can't wait to join him, he loves it and I'm getting so impatient waiting to go!

Ooo, have fun!! Eat a nice, juicy steak!! :thumbup:

If you get a chance to visit San Antonio, go! And if you ever get a chance while out here, check out the annual hot air balloon festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico. :) I always wanted to go!!!
https://www.balloonfiesta.com/

I was born in Texas and grew up in Southern California. I've been to a few States, but will be a Cali girl for life. :) Beach, weather, food, fun, camping, theme parks, people, etc. You just can't beat it. haha I bought my house at 26y.o. so its not impossible to make it out here. Its not a walk in the park, but not as impossible as some people make it seem. And I've never had an issue with health insurance - but I was either covered under my parent's until I graduated from college, or I got benefits from working. (And knock on wood, I've never had a major health issue to really make me use my health insurance to the max)

And I think a PP mentioned something about expensive schooling. I worked part-time during the school year and full-time during summer vacations and spring/winter break during college. I graduated in the typical 4 years. I did have to apply for financial aid, but I paid that off after my first year working post-college. As my parents always told me, if there's a will, there's a way. :thumbup:

Most people will be proud of where they are from, or where they currently live. And that's mostly because that's all we know. I'm happy with the life we've created for ourselves - but someone else may think its crap, or they may be jealous. To each their own...

To everyone coming to the US to either visit, work or just to move here - have fun! :)

Wow that hot air balloon festival looks amazing! I'm def gonna look into it and try and get there one year! X

Wow that hot air balloon festival looks amazing! I'm def gonna look into it and try and get there one year! X

I've always wanted to go to it! :D
Hope you get a chance too.

It IS amazing- and fall is a beautiful time to visit ABQ! I can't recommend it enough.
Just know that weather/ wind conditions shut down launches frequently, so don't try and schedule just one day in the area if it is important to you that you see a mass ascension.

I really want to visit America, i have since i can remember. Can anyone recommend where to go? :flower:

I really want to visit America, i have since i can remember. Can anyone recommend where to go? :flower:

The country is HUGE and every area is just so unique, but I feel like you must start with New York City!! There's no place like it. If you like history, Washington, DC is absolutely gorgeous and very manageable.

I have family in New York State, Massena so when the school holidays were upon us we visited there a few times. It is a really great state...as is the
New England states (we based with family but hired a car and drove around). Even popped over the river to Canada :flower:

We went to New York in August 2011 and I would sooooo recommend there, although not at that time of year cos of the humidity (I am from London and use to city humidity but this was like nothing I've ever experienced) although that made for amazing thunder storms every evening, truly beautiful.

From a British perspective I've been to a fair few states and studied over there, so obviously that isn't the same as living there.

I love the US, I find the people more personable and friendly (especially down south), cost of living is lower than the UK (but obviously wages reflect this too so will depend on career), houses are much bigger, so many different places amazing for exploring I wouldn't even know how to pick one place!

The healthcare system is one of the major reasons I wouldn't like to live there permanently, also workers benefits are much less than ours in general (although this will of course depend on where you work, there isn't the same legislation as we have in the UK, generally there is much less annual leave and maternity rights) I had a hard time eating there on a long term basis, but this isn't America this was me not knowing where to shop. Although fruit lasts for a scary amount of time (I left apples in the fridge by mistake and they looked fine 4 months later lol!!). On one hand I think I could have a much better quality of life over there with the weather, big homes etc, but with the financial stresses with healthcare (especially not as a full citizens) and different work experiences over there I don't think I would over all.

I love love love the US, I keep trying to get DH to get a posting over there, our dream is to drive across it, however due to legislation and the things mentioned above I don't think I could live there permanently, but I hope to explore it plenty!!

overall, I'd say a big disadvantage is our overall economy. It is recovering, but in general it's not the greatest. There's tons of competition for pretty much any job out.

And once you do find a job, the work and health benefits aren't always the greatest. I've been finding myself rather jealous of you UK ladies when it comes to your maternity leave and all that, actually.

One thing to keep in mind... big cities tend to have more opportunities and variety (jobs, entertainment, etc) but the cost of living is also higher. I personally loved living in Portland, Oregon and miss it terribly at times. They have a great public transportation system, as well.

overall, I'd say a big disadvantage is our overall economy. It is recovering, but in general it's not the greatest. There's tons of competition for pretty much any job out.

And once you do find a job, the work and health benefits aren't always the greatest. I've been finding myself rather jealous of you UK ladies when it comes to your maternity leave and all that, actually.

One thing to keep in mind... big cities tend to have more opportunities and variety (jobs, entertainment, etc) but the cost of living is also higher. I personally loved living in Portland, Oregon and miss it terribly at times. They have a great public transportation system, as well.

Unfortunately the economy is pretty much the same in the UK at the moment too! Definitely agree with the workers' rights, I find that very different.

We looked at emigrating to America, but the healthcare put me off, I prefer the NHS lol, we did say that once OH left the forces though we may look at going Canada as that's where his family is from x

*bump*

I'm feeling like we want to move abroad in a few years. Either Canada or USA. Are they the same visa wise? for us, we'd be relying on my hubby to get a job, he has a physics degree, and so would stand a better chance of gaining employment x

Honestly, if I were picking between the US and Canada, I would pick Canada. The US is very deeply divided right now, in pretty much every sense of the word. Our political climate is embarrassing and our elected officials value politics and hearing their own voices more then the wishes of their constituents. Equality seems to have taken a few steps backwards in the last several years. Maternity leave is frequently unpaid. Healthcare costs are out of control, both in terms of the cost to carry an insurance policy, and in terms of out of pocket costs. God forbid you ever get cancer or have a serious injury or illness because you can kiss your life savings and/or credit rating goodbye.

I am a fiercely proud American and there are a lot of really great things about this country, but honestly, if the right position comes along in the next few years, I will seriously consider moving abroad.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the pond. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->