Advice 9 month old off food - teething?being fussy?

30thMarch2010

Connor born 4/4/2010
Reaction score
My son is 9 months old and has been on solids since 5 months, he took to solids great and his eating has been great until now!

He is on 3 bottles a day and has them fine, but is refusing food, he just moans, crys, shoved the spoon away, keeps his mouth tight shut, turns his head around.

The only thing i can get him to eat is yogurts or fruit pots. He will have finger food fine, but nothing else off a spoon.

his routine used to be:

8.00- 7oz bottle and porridge
12.30 - stage 1 jar and a fruit pot
3.30 - 7 oz bottle (only taking 2-4 oz)
4.30 - stage 2 jar and small yogurt
7.00 - 7oz bottle

now his "routine" is:

8.00 - 7oz bottle refuses porridge but will happily munch some cheerios and a yogurt
12.30 - Stage 1 jar (sometimes all of it, sometimes none) Small yogurt and il give him some toast etc if he doesnt eat food
2.00 - 7 oz bottle (finishes it all)
5.00 - refuses stage 2 jar so give him fruit pot, and some finger food, i,e cheese, bread, toast, fruit anything he will take because i dont want him to starve
7.00 - 7oz bottle

he has been waking through the night now and very clngy throughout the day.

I am confused why he will eat finger food and would eat yogurt all day if i offered it to him, he used to love his food but totally gone off it, i have tried cooking food that didnt work.

What do you think it causing this, is he being fussy or could it be teething..or something else?

He is not sleeping much during the day could he be overtired by tea time..is it because he is having a full 7oz during the day.

I am so confused and dont want him to live on yogurts but dont know what to do!

This has happened with my lo too!!!!
I thought it was just teething but I think it fussiness.
He'll occasionally eat food other than fruit but it's such a fight I get so upset.
I think as long as they're having enough milk the food part isn't so much of a problem.
Hope he starts eating soon

It's normal hun, they go through phases of refusing solids. Omar still goes through those phases. Until now he doesnt eat proper 3 meals. He goes for days eating only yoghurt with his milk feeds esp when he's teething. xx

I was just about to post the same thing :dohh:
Emily won't hardly eat anything..maybe a spoon full per meal..she will take her formula and juice..some finger foods..only if she can feed them to herself..and she is waking sometime 4 x a night...:coffee: ..:shrug:

my 9 month old been the same this week xx

I asked a question similar to this a while ago as my LO went off being fed food but would eat finger food and the advice given to me was that babies suddenly get independent and want to eat themselves instead of having their mummy shove a spoon in their mouth, hehe.

I now just plonk food on his tray (but obviously not puree food anymore!) and he eats it himself and is much happier. It took a while for him to get the hang of it but he's great at it now and seems a lot happier at meal time!

Please can i ask you all what the outcome was of the food refusal...my darling daughter (8 and half months) who previously ate EVERYTHING from hake in orange sauce to lamb casserol..has eaten nothing other than yoghurt and fruit for 2 days except her weetabix in the am..i think i can see a tooth coming - but i cannot be sure :(.. she screams the second i bring out a bowl...

This is really upsetting for both me and her as she previously ate so well and i have made such an effort with her diet - home cooking a zillion recipes!..i dont know if she is being fussy, teething or what??!! any advice sooooo very welcome

thanks

Hi hun, it's a phase & it could be teething. DS went through a similar phase at 8.5 months , he was going through a growth spurt & he was off his food. It lasted for 1 month then he went backto normal. As long as she's drinking enough milk there is nothing to worry about. xx

Thank you so much - it is totally stressful! I managed to coax half her dinner into her mouth while she chewed on toast (which she will eat also) guess i will have to sit it out!

xx

was considering posting this exact same thing tonite. nicole is def teething so im blaming that!! she has 4 top teeth almost down and 2 more bottom teeth coming up too. last wed and thurs, omg, she was eating like a 4 yr old. u would swear she never had food or bottles ever, fri she was back to normal but today was disaster, no cereal just a bottle, followed by another bottle, then a banana at lunch, another bottle, yoghurt, about 3 spoons of dinner (which took nearly 40 mins), another bottle. then when daddy came home she polished off her weetabix and drained another bottle.

must be a phase and just a conicidence with the teeth. the only other thing thats been different since thurs here is the weather has gotten warm, sticky heat. not ur bikini weather lol

Sorry iceylou, meant to reply sooner...it was def the teeth as one has come through and she is eating again....hope your little girls teeth are down and all is back to normal :) We are now battling with a temperature from the teething...and its only tooth number 1 !!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->