Advice about autism

TaylorsMummyx

Reaction score
As you proberly know my ds is being tested for autism. He is two and one month.

Can I ask for some advice..

Iv notice a few more things he does that I didn't mention to the peditrition like the arm flapping he's doing. And I noticed mrs yday that he just can't use his fork/spoon! He will hold it in one hand and use the other to eat, even with a yogurt.

Anyway the questions I have: what sort of life will he have if he has got it? Will he go to a special school? How do I convince my OH that his behaviour isn't like a normal 2 year old and he needs more patient, also my OH doesn't think autism make a child any different at all, is this true? I'm so confuses with everything and I dont know what to do or where to look :( OH wont even talk to me about it!

At least people cab stop blaming me and start listening to me!!

My 5Y/O son has severe autism.He attends a special school. The thing with autism is that there is such a spectrum. My son cannot talk, yet some of the children in his class communicate fine. Not all children with autism will need to attend a special school.

It is so individual to the person, what one child may find easy, others will struggle with.

Take a look at the National Autistic Society website, or have a google for autism and read into it and get your hubby to read it too. When my son was diagnosed I spent days looking through stuff online to try and get an idea on what life would be like for him!

Hope everything works out ok for you :)

My daughter attends normal school. She is only 6, but she has come leaps and bounds since she was diagnosed when she was 2. Everyone's child is different, but one thing is for sure...his development can only go up from here!!! As for your hubby, everyone deals with it differently, and my hubby and I parent VERY differently with our daughter. He is her 'enabler' as I call it...and my belief is that she is capable of everything, she just needs to work at it MUCH harder.

My son is 7 now and he goes mainstream junior school. I wont lie and say it was easy, I had a rough time when he was 2-3, I found him hard to cope with and he was non verbal then so very hard. He talks now (and does not stop talking lol) . Some things are easier, like I understand him more, we know what works and does not work, we know most meltdown triggers etc. So you do find a way to cope and all the things we do are just second nature now, I dont think any different of it.

My OH took a long time to accept it. Things will work out in time hun.

Yesterday we went fireworks night and he HATED it! Noticed he's started hating loud noises, hates it when hand dryers come on in toilet and byes crowds and lots of people :(

Yesterday we went fireworks night and he HATED it! Noticed he's started hating loud noises, hates it when hand dryers come on in toilet and byes crowds and lots of people :(

Perhaps ear muffs at fireworks? Makena hates those hand dries and loud fulshing toilets. She doesn't seem to mind people and crowds so much. Just go with the flow hon. All my sister's kids hate loud noises too, and they aren't ASD, so there is plenty out there who don't like noises. :hugs:

Hello, first off I myself have autism and have known since I was 6 years old. I have always been in special ed and I hate it, but not everyone is the same. I have heard of lots of autistic people that never have to be in special ed at all.

having autism does not make your son different he is still the same little boy you gave birth to he is the same little boy you have been raising for the past 2 years... what this diagnosis will do for your whole family is help your son and help you understand him better it is a long journey from the first time you noticed that something just wasn't right to the time when all the help and resources fall into place. this is a long hard journey but you know your son is worth it... one thing u may learn right off is what affects his sensory..... sounds, lights, scents,feelings all can play a crucial role in his behavior, mood, and need for self-stimulating behavior..ie.hand flapping. one book i found really helpful was called "10 Things Every Child with autism Wishes You Knew" its written by a woman who's son was diagnosed with ASD and there is another book called "Unstrange Minds" it is written by a father of a little girl who was diagnosed PDD(nos) which is now classified in the ASD

Thank you everyone! It's so nice to have support as don't get it from anyone here :(

my son hates handdryers, why we use disabled loos. He hates crowds too. We got some ear defenders, can link you if you want? They help loads.

Can I just say when Math was 2 there was no way on earth I ever thought I would take him to London. Well 5 yrs on and we did it last month and he was brilliant. It is possible hun and some things get easier with age xx

My son is 8 and attends main stream school. I am not sure where you live but we live in Nebraska and we went to a therapy many places and finally found an amazing one. and he is doing so much better now. I think it has been a month since the school has had to call me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->