advice about insensitive friend

croydongirl

Reaction score
I have a very close friend who has one daughter 18mths old. She is a sweet little girl, but as an only child to older parents who married later she is a little spoiled and getting more so as she finds her voice!

My friend has decided she wants another child, her husband is going along with it but she says hes not totally convinced that she will cope with taking care of 2. I think some of her determination came from wanting to prove him wrong, but she is a very dramatic person and every day of her last pregnancy was a big drama.

So now she is symptom spotting with me. I wake up every day to an email or face book chat, yesterday she sent a msg that she was disgusted at the thought of cooking chicken, and when i asked more she said it was another symptom she hadn't told me but her and her husband had had unsafe sex one time in her fertile period so she was sure she was pregnant.

Thinking she was pregnant put me in a tail spin, she never once asked anything about how I was feeling, or if I wanted to hear all this. I was so upset. I have had 4 m/c in the past year, and she knows this. Then she sent an email later saying she was sure she was getting her period instead, and right before i went to bed i saw she sent one saying the symptoms of period had gone and now she was sure (again) that she was pregnant, she told me she wasn't going to test for a few days though but she would keep me posted.

I feel like I am on a roller coaster with her, and I just don't have it in me. Of course when she has another baby I will be happy for her, but I will also be sad for me.

I just cannot go on her symptom spotting journey, I have too much of that with my own journey, and she doesn't want to support me, just compare to herself.

I need to talk to her and explain some of how I am feeling but I am not sure how to do it without being mean, of having her feel like I don't care. Maybe I am just being selfish?
I think I am hesitating because I feel like a part of her (a tiny part) is bragging about her symptoms because she is jealous of me. We both got married later in life to wonderful men but our lives are very different. She has alot of family drama and responsibility for her mom and sister which is a financial burden, and even though they have a lot of money I know it's hard on her emotionally. She wants to be at home full time but has to work some nursing shifts to keep the family's insurance and stuff. She is very overweight and has a hard time with that. I am a student and home maker, I get to cook and do lots of fun things in my day and my hubby and i spend lots of time on dates and travelling together, and she doesn't ever leave her child.

Her and her husband have been on 3 dates without their daughter in the past year and a half, and she still wakes at night multiple times after not going to bed until 10.30pm so they have no time together as a couple. My friend is always making comments to us about how it will be the same for us when we have kids, we'll never have time together.

I know she is unsatisfied in her family life right now, and so I am trying to be sensitive but her comments and her throwing this new possible pregnancy in my face seem a little mean.

I consider her a friend and want to talk to her about how I feel but I am not sure how to approach it because she is in such a sensitive place too. I am just dreading the message in my box today saying she is pregnant, I am aware that some of my feelings are jealousy too but also I'm so sad. I want to look forward to sharing my friends joy but I am just not in a place to do it yet.

Sorry this is long, just not sure who else would understand.

(also on ttc)

So sorry for your losses....and the place you find yourself in right now. I get really upset with people too so I'm not good at giving advice just wanted you to know I am thinking of you. My best friend was a bit like that when we were trying to conceive DD1, it took 2 years of trying,meanwhile she conceived 2 sons, we had a big fallout because she just couldnt understand why I would get upset...she had a BIG moan after her 20wk scan with DS2 that there was only 1(she wanted 2),I just said she should be grateful she has 1healthy bub in there and she turned nasty and said I wasnt supportive....we had just been told we would NEVER conceive naturally(turns out we did) we didnt speak for over 6months,I couldnt deal with her shit.then when she was trying for DD she got all upset because she didnt get pregnant the first month...some people are sent to try us!
i really hope you get preggers soon (and she doesnt!)

Thanks - can I ask why they told you you would never conceive naturally?
Our Doc hasn't told us that, but just that we have a low chance, we get pregnant every time we try, but they don't stick past 6 weeks. Of course they have done every test and nothing is showing anything wrong except some slight abnormalities with hubbys cperm but they told us lots of people with his issue have normal pregnancies.
Our insurance doesn't cover IVF treatment so we have to save for a while if we want to try that it is SO expensive. For now it's just waiting, and trying again and each month trying and waiting and hoping and so far, losing our little ones :(
Just praying for one little baby to hold. I used to want a huge family but I would be truly happy with just one.

All the best to you x

im so sorry for all of your losses. and sorry you are going through this with your friend.
if i were you, i would tell you're having a hard time right now, and dont feel strong enough to deal with her problems as well as your own. i would also stop reading her emails for a while.
i have purposely avoided the pregnant woman at my work for the last 3 months. i just cant deal with her right now.
i hope you get a baby that sticks. FXd for you and your hubby
xx

my cousin and i was pregnant at the same time , we both shared the same due date... we was talking today like she was the only pregnant person in the world... really upset me, shes had 3 abortions that i KNOW of and her husband didnt want her to keep this one, anyway she said she'd been watching one every minute and didnt know wether to laugh or cry at the mums on there, so i just replied .. i cried its still abit raw for me.. that soon changed the subject!!! Hope u get ur BFP soon hun xx

Thanks so much ladies. What a blessing to have a place like this to vent and be understood.

I don't want to be mean, it's just so hard, and clearly hard to understand for other people who haven't been through it.

I'm really sorry for your losses. I don't really have any advice, but I just wanted to say that you sound like a very kind and thoughtful person. I think many people wouldn't be able to see past what you have been through to try to understand her and how to help her understand you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->