Advice after an ectopic please - sorry its long!

milosmum

Reaction score
Hey ladies I have been lurking on here for the last few days looking for a bit of advice and trying to learn from those have already been through this all. My story so far:
I stopped taking BCP end of February had a normal withdrawal bleed then nothing. Took a pregnancy test end of March which was negative and I just thought AF was taking a while to show up. Had some cramping ten days ago and thought AF was on her way. Then a week ago severe cramping, abdominal pain and bleeding had me in at the GP who suggested it was my period but thought I should do a pregnancy test just in case. Much to my total shock the pregnancy test was positive but obviously all was not well. My GP then referred me to the local EPU. I was examined and had bloods for HCG then sent home to wait 48 hours. Went back last Thursday for repeat HCG and ultrasound which in combination were highly suggestive of an ectopic pregnancy. I was admitted to hospital and had a diagnostic laparoscopy and left salpingotomy (tube removed) on Friday. (They also aspirated a cyst on my left ovary while they were in there) Got home on Saturday and have been trying to recover since then.

Just wanted a bit of advice really - if you have been through this how long did it take for you to feel healthy again? I don't mean mentally I mean physically? I am normally really active and am finding the abdominal discomfort and shoulder tip pain from the laparoscopy fairly debilitating. Also what advice were you given about trying again? We have had mixed reports which is a bit confusing. We definately have a repeat scan in 6 weeks to check on that ovarian cyst and we won't be trying before then but other reports seem to say 3 months before trying again (which right now sounds fine to me considering I don't ever want this to happen again)

Which brings me to my last questions - how successful have others been in getting BFPs after loosing one tube? I am really scared of having another ectopic?

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions but now I am out of hospital I have so many questions and no one with any knowledge to answer them.
Many thanks ladies xxx

Hi Milosmum.
I am very sorry for your loss.
I have been through the same as you and lost my left tube too. It is devastating and shocking but u will be ok again with time.

As regards how long it takes to feel healthy again, everyone is different but with me, i had a fair bit of discomfort for the first wk of getting out of hospital. I had some bleeding which was light and i was mentally and physically exhausted. I actually felt like i had been run over by a truck, due to the actual surgery and also the shock and heartbreak. my immune system took me a while to get back on track. Around 7wks. I was run down and full of cold, got a sore eye, then a cold sore etc.

I followed the advice of my surgeon and waited the 3 cycles before ttc again as i was so scared of it happening again. They said my right tube appeared healthy and there was no underlying problem, i had just been very unlucky for this to happen :-(

There is every chance u will fall pregnant again though. Providing there is no issues with your remaining tube u will get pregnant again, it just may take a little longer than average but some women get pregnant within a few mths of a ectopic ;-)

please come and join us in our "team one tubers" thread. U will find a lot of support and a few of our ladies are early pregnant right now ;-)

https://www.babyandbump.com/ttc-buddies/173575-team-one-tubers.html

wishing u the best of luck and a speedy recovery. If u need to talk im here xxx

Thanks Africa Queen I will have a peak at your one tubers thread and hopefully get some encouragement from other ladies stories. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->