Advice for transitioning to big boy bed!!

channy3232

Reaction score
Rocco is 2 1/2 and sleeps well for the most part. A few nights ago he had a fever and was miserable. He didn't want to sleep and ended up falling asleep in our bed at like 3am. Last night he didn't want to go to bed so my husband and I decided we would convert his crib to a bed. He was so excited and kept saying big boy bed big boy bed! He climbed in and we lifted up the rail. He stood up and screamed. I laid him back down and walkes out. He got out of bed and came after us. We tried everything and eventually my husband put him in the car and took him for a ride until he fell asleep and brought him in and put him in his bed. We woke him up earlier than normal to get a fresh start on the day. But by 2 when I was going to visit my parents, he fell asleep in the car. He ran around like crazy over there and fell asleep on the way home so I just got him out of the car to change him and put him to bed. he woke up :( We tried bribery, tried staying in the room with him, we tried everything but he doesn't want to sleep in his bed and only wants to sleep in our bed. Admittedly I think it was bad timing on our part to try the new bed but I thought he would be excited and go right to sleep. I can't take anymore of this staying up until 3am crap and I can't let him continue to sleep with us!! Any ideas on how to get him used to his bed???

maybe you mentioned this and i just missed it but have you tried to acually lay down in the bed with him and pretend like your going to sleep. That is how i did it with my DD and now she sleeps without me in her bed?

If you can afford it, take him out and let him pick out some new bedding. Then talk it up, about how he is getting to be such a big boy and big boys sleep in thier own beds. Have him help you put the new bedding on and do stories in bed. Really make him feel as though he is part of the process as opposed to this being something that is done to him. Then be consistent with your bedtime approach.

I did try lying down with him. I squeezed my fat ass in there. Lol its actually a crib that converts to a bed. So its just a really big crib without the front rail. Its like 3am and he's still awake. He came to bed with us for a while but he was wide awake. Then I tried the super nanny approach where I stay in his room with my back turned. it worked for a while bit then he started screaming. I ended uo sitting there crying with him because i felt so bad but I stuck to it. Now my husband is taking over because im just exhausted. Ughhhhh

we did the whole going out got all new bedding put her fave teddys init talked it up as a big girls bed let her jump up and down onit put her dols to sleep init during the day and
we just made a big fuss of it like it was a really big deal showed pictures of beds in the argos caterlog with kids in the beds.
by the night she was so excited to get into the bed.

shes been gr8 init ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->