advice form spd sufferers

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
I hope you dont mind me gatecrashing a wee bit early to ask you a question.

when did you all get spd?

I have had (wrote this out for midwife for tomorrow)
Pain – always very achy, extremely intense on movement and certain activities such as sitting upright, walking upstairs, turning in bed and stepping into car
Pain in lower back, hips, pelvis region
Feel movement, like hip is poping
Came on suddenly, although I have been quite tender since my 1st trimester
Cant sleep, pain gets intense at night, moving in bed is extremely painful
After laying down pain is much worse

i knew 2 people that had it and when i started with the pain and started thinking maybe it could be that!

But someone told me yesterday i was a hypochondriac and that i am far too early to have it, (i am 25 weeks).

I was also under the impression that it was caused by giving birth and as its my first it wont be that. I hope its not because I don’t know how i will manage being in this much pain any longer but i also think its a lot more than just "normal" pregnancy aches and pains.

With my first i got it at 30 weeks with this one i've had it from 15 weeks so no you're not too early to have it.It's caused by your pelvic bones and ligaments becoming weak..not by giving birth. Your midwife should refer you to a physio xx

Sounds like SPD.

I had SPD with my first starting from about 20 weeks and I have SPD with this one from 14!!! weeks!

So 25 weeks deffo not early.

Good luck to you hun, but unfortunately it is a crap thing which tends to get worse. Make sure you get physio appointment and take it VERY easy. Main advice would be to keep your legs together at all times.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Thanks ladies, its great havong this site and being able to talk to people who are going through something similuar and arnt trying to make you feel bad.

does it affect labour or the baby in any way? i know that the person i knew with it was told not to have any more children after her 3rd.

Hi Eternal,

I had SPD with my first pregnancy, it started at about 22 weeks, and this time it started at 14 weeks! I have been attending physio since May and have tubagrip and a belt! I am starting to worry that I may not be able to open my legs to give birth, but will cross that bridge when I come to it I guess! I have heard that it can make labour difficult for that reason, but there are plenty of positions to give birth in, and also not everyone who has had it in a previous pregnancy would suffer again in a future pregnancy, some of us are just unlucky to get it in every pregnancy! It does sound like you have it hun, and as the other ladies have said it's not too early to be suffering. Take it easy and take care! :hugs:

Hey :hugs:

It depends who you are. Both when/if you get it, and how much you let it grind you down.

I started having problems on one side at about 16 weeks.
I'm guessing this was due to descreased muscle bulk, so that side wasn't held as well as the other.

It's not nice, it is painful - but it should recover after giving birth, when your hormones stop telling your ligaments to hang loose.

We all get days where we feel worn out and down with it - but truth is, there's no option but to crack on.

It would be nice to have a warning of all these things ;) but inspite of that... I think it's all worth it in the end :)

x

Hi Eternal,

I had SPD with my first pregnancy, it started at about 22 weeks, and this time it started at 14 weeks! I have been attending physio since May and have tubagrip and a belt! I am starting to worry that I may not be able to open my legs to give birth, but will cross that bridge when I come to it I guess! I have heard that it can make labour difficult for that reason, but there are plenty of positions to give birth in, and also not everyone who has had it in a previous pregnancy would suffer again in a future pregnancy, some of us are just unlucky to get it in every pregnancy! It does sound like you have it hun, and as the other ladies have said it's not too early to be suffering. Take it easy and take care! :hugs:

awww you poor thing! :hugs:
Does the physio help? Could i still have a water birth in a birth centre or will i have to go to hospital?

Hi hun , i got spd with my 1st at around 30wks , but this time it started at 17wks & by 20wks i was asking for help!

Yes it can affect labour as you shouldn't really open your legs, you should only open them until it hurts then thats it the midwives should not go any further so a sitting down in bed birth is NOT the best idea, a water birth is fab as it eases so much pressure & makes birthing easier & less painful, kneeling up is another option as is standing up.

i've been given physio this time & have only been once so far & found it a little time wasting . They told me to do some exercises but to stop when it hurt...despite the fact i obviously walked in or should i say shuffled in in pain!!
I was given a big white support belt which is ok but is a little uncomfy round the lower belly :(

You can take painkillers hun, i take cocodamols :)

Hi Eternal,

Does the physio help? Could i still have a water birth in a birth centre or will i have to go to hospital?

The physio does help...........a bit, as the excercises helps to tighten your ligaments/muscles which help support your pelvis, but I am getting too sore to do them now! I have physio again on Tues so will see what she says I can do now! You will still be able to have a water birth at a birth centre, as I havent heard of anyone yet that has had their labour plans restricted because of it. I have the option to go to Montrose birth centre cos of where I am, and would love to go there, but after my last very complicated labour (nothing to do with SPD) I am going into hospital to give birth! x

Hi Eternal,

The physio does help...........a bit, as the excercises helps to tighten your ligaments/muscles which help support your pelvis, but I am getting too sore to do them now! I have physio again on Tues so will see what she says I can do now! You will still be able to have a water birth at a birth centre, as I havent heard of anyone yet that has had their labour plans restricted because of it. I have the option to go to Montrose birth centre cos of where I am, and would love to go there, but after my last very complicated labour (nothing to do with SPD) I am going into hospital to give birth! x

Flip where do you live??? Its Montrose i am planning on going to!

Where do you go for Physio?

Hi hun , i got spd with my 1st at around 30wks , but this time it started at 17wks & by 20wks i was asking for help!

Yes it can affect labour as you shouldn't really open your legs, you should only open them until it hurts then thats it the midwives should not go any further so a sitting down in bed birth is NOT the best idea, a water birth is fab as it eases so much pressure & makes birthing easier & less painful, kneeling up is another option as is standing up.

i've been given physio this time & have only been once so far & found it a little time wasting . They told me to do some exercises but to stop when it hurt...despite the fact i obviously walked in or should i say shuffled in in pain!!
I was given a big white support belt which is ok but is a little uncomfy round the lower belly :(

You can take painkillers hun, i take cocodamols :)

Do the pain killers help? so far i have avoided any drugs during pregnancy and as paracetamol does nothing i havnt even bothered trying to take then for this pain.

I can hardly walk now, the pains a lot worse after laying or sitting or awhile and i communte an hour to work and its a nightmare once i get out of the car. yesterday i had to sit back down because i was almost in tears with the pain.

Hi Eternal,

Flip where do you live??? Its Montrose i am planning on going to!

Where do you go for Physio?

Montrose is a great place, have you been on their website?? I know a few people who have given birth there and loved it! I am on the other side from you hun, and I go to Kincardine Hospt for physio. x

yeah had a breif look at their website. do you live in aberdeenshire? i live in edzell woods ... the US army base there! so officially in aberdeenshire but kind of feel more part of angus!

Is kincardine hospital stonehaven? sorry new to the area! lol!

yeah had a breif look at their website. do you live in aberdeenshire? i live in edzell woods ... the US army base there! so officially in aberdeenshire but kind of feel more part of angus!

Is kincardine hospital stonehaven? sorry new to the area! lol!

lol, yeah it is stonehaven and I live in stonehaven too hun. How far along are you?

I am 25 weeks! still a while to go but time is flying by! stonehaven is such a beautiful place!

I am 25 weeks! still a while to go but time is flying by! stonehaven is such a beautiful place!

thanks, it is lovely.........when it's not raining hehe! I know what you mean about it flying by, I feel the same!

yeah its pritty cold today isnt it? i work in abderdeen and its freezing up here!

Another thing what I could advise you is to have a water birth. I had a c-section with my first because of SPD and now I understand that I didn't have to...

This time Ill be pushing for a water birth. Because even if I can't walk/turn/sit I can swim! And no matter in how much pain I am normally i don't feel almoust any pain in the water.

And during labour make sure you tell your midwife you have an SPD. And the best position to give birth is either on your side or on all fours. Deffo not on your back or squatting.

Another thing what I could advise you is to have a water birth. I had a c-section with my first because of SPD and now I understand that I didn't have to...

This time Ill be pushing for a water birth. Because even if I can't walk/turn/sit I can swim! And no matter in how much pain I am normally i don't feel almoust any pain in the water.

And during labour make sure you tell your midwife you have an SPD. And the best position to give birth is either on your side or on all fours. Deffo not on your back or squatting.

ok brilliant, really wanted a waterbirth anyway so thats good news that i still can. its good to see other people on her who have had spd and are having more children. the experience couldnt have put you off too much!

sounds like you get it really bad. spoke to a midwife who agreed that what i have and said severity can be different from woman to woman so i am hoping mine doesnt get too much worse. im still supposed to have 10 weeks left of work, but if this is how i will be to the end think i will change it to 7 weeks.

SPD is something that ALL pregnant women have it's only a small number that suffer from it, it's down to loosening of the joints and not anything to do with previous births or injuries. The suffering is of various levels too.

First pregnancy I got it at week 30, 2nd week 23, third pregnancy week 21 and 4th time week 15 each progressively worse.

There are lots of things you can try to rid yourself of the pain and I've tried most, a support belt that you should be recommended by your midwife to start at a minimum, I got mine from the physio department of my local hospital. I also have had physio which worked while in the office but soon wore off unfortunately there's aqua pregnancy groups, mild exercises while in the water, acupuncture. I've only ever taken paracetamol if it is extremely bad.

There are ways of lifting, moving, sitting, turning, getting into and out of bed and chairs that you need to be shown, my midwife and physiotherapist went through these with me and are invaluable for after the birth too.

It shouldn't impact on you having a happy healthy delivery at all, I've managed 3 so far without any form of pain relief. You just have to make sure the midwife team at the hospital are fully informed of it and they will be extra cautious.

Best of luck, chat to your caregiver about what's available locally to you. With my first pregnancy a weeks bed rest and the belt were sufficient for me, I've since progressed to crutches.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->