advice form spd sufferers

SPD is something that ALL pregnant women have it's only a small number that suffer from it, it's down to loosening of the joints and not anything to do with previous births or injuries. The suffering is of various levels too.

First pregnancy I got it at week 30, 2nd week 23, third pregnancy week 21 and 4th time week 15 each progressively worse.

There are lots of things you can try to rid yourself of the pain and I've tried most, a support belt that you should be recommended by your midwife to start at a minimum, I got mine from the physio department of my local hospital. I also have had physio which worked while in the office but soon wore off unfortunately there's aqua pregnancy groups, mild exercises while in the water, acupuncture. I've only ever taken paracetamol if it is extremely bad.

There are ways of lifting, moving, sitting, turning, getting into and out of bed and chairs that you need to be shown, my midwife and physiotherapist went through these with me and are invaluable for after the birth too.

It shouldn't impact on you having a happy healthy delivery at all, I've managed 3 so far without any form of pain relief. You just have to make sure the midwife team at the hospital are fully informed of it and they will be extra cautious.

Best of luck, chat to your caregiver about what's available locally to you. With my first pregnancy a weeks bed rest and the belt were sufficient for me, I've since progressed to crutches.

:hug:
Thank you so much for the response!

oh dear, sorry to hear that things arnt too good! but i am excitied to see someone who had gone on to have 3 more babies!

a spoke to a midwife earlier who emailed me a list of things to try and help, such as moving in certain ways etc which i am trying.

Any tips at how to get to sleep at night, the pains horrendous and i just end up laying there crying!

I got my SPD at 16 weeks but put up with it until about 24weeks before I went for physio - your not too early hope they can help relieve some pain for you xx

i suddenly got it at 20 weeks and i think my job had alot to do with it as i was on my feet lifting heavy stuff all day i was signed off at 20 weeks and am starting maternity the middle of september so wont be back at work till after the baby
it really is horrible but ihave found the best remedy for me is to rest as much as possible and walk very little, if ii walk for more than 30 mins then im in agony for days so i just try and sty housebound as much as i can and mine has been better since ive stopped trying to run round like a mad woman.
also 25 weeks is not too early when i went for physio they said some women get it from as early as 4 weeks!!! it just depends on your body and how it reacts to the pregnancy.

saw midwife today who gave me a massive tub a grip thing! not really sure how to wear it but it is giving me some relief!

been refered to physio burt goodness knows how long that will take.

I think the commuting to and from work isnt helping but if i take time off i will be on half pay and cant really afford that at the moment!

I am hoping i can cope for at leat a few more weeks, i am due to finish on oct 29th, but will be on hoilday for 2 weeks before going in for my last week (as i work in a school). if it gets worse i will chaneg my maternity to the 9th and hopfully last out until then! its only 6 weeks and one for day! fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->