Advice from someone who has experienced food poisoning in early pregnancy please!!

wl098

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new on here but thought I'd post as I'm in need of a bit of advice!

I'll be 6 weeks pregnant tomorrow and came back from Morrocco three days ago. I thought it would be easy to eat safely by being picky with food, but apparently not! I got awful food poisoning and was really ill for the last day of the holiday.

Before then, I hadn't experienced any morning sickness whatsoever, but since that day, I've been CONSTANTLY feeling sick on and off. The thought of any Moroccan food makes me queasy, the smell of ANYTHING strong makes me queasy, being in the car makes me queasy - I'm FOREVER feeling sick!!

Does anyone have any experiences similar? Is it possible that the food poisoning has triggered morning sickness and the sicky feelings are baby-related? Or am I still ill? My main concern is that I've contracted food poisoning and my immune system hasn't been able to fight it off as well as my other half's did - I don't want it to harm the baby! Especially as the food poisoning could have been from dirty water or something serious.

Please help!

I doubt it's food poisoning, I always get a dodgy tum in early pregnancy and sickness kicks in mostly from 6 weeks. Welcome to pregnancy and enjoy the next 6 weeks of sickness xx

Maybe you had food poisoning but you typically start morning sickness around 6 weeks as well, so that could have coincided. I had awful food poisoning or flu, not sure which with last pregnancy right at 12 weeks. Up until then I had bad MS but started to feel much better. Then for 24 hrs I was vomiting non stop and couldn't get any fluids in, so I had to be in hospital getting rehydrated. After food poisoning went away I was back to feeling a bit queasy till MS went away by 13.5 weeks. But baby was fine. You should go to Dr. if you are concerned about food poisoning, but if that's the case it will pass. If you have been feeling sick for a week now most likely it's just MS and 2 things aren't related and one doesn't trigger the other.

I think you are experiencing morning sickness or a virus. Genuine bacterial food poisoning, even a mild case, is a different plane of sickness than you're describing. Feel better soon!

I had salmonellosis, not while pregnant, but it was a horrid, violent, unmistakable illness that lasted over a week and ended up with me on IV fluids for a day and losing 10-12 lbs. It sounds like pp said, maybe it could've been a virus or food-borne illness in the beginning but then coincided with morning sickness starting around the same time. The constant feeling queasy when smelling things, etc sounds more pregnancy related. Be happy it's just that, I have it now and it's not fun but manageable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->