Advice needed- baby choking

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Fluxuspoem, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Fluxuspoem

Fluxuspoem Mama

Hi everyone

I need advice regarding a horrible incident that happened to us yesterday. Little Christina is on medication for Reflux and she has been prescribed a very thick sirup that she has to take twice a day.

Yesterday evening after her bath, I gave her the sirup as usual and gave her the dummy. Two seconds later she coughed so I run to her took the dummy out and realised that she was choking on it. I started patting her back - no response, then tried again. Then turned her face down again putting preasure on her back. Nothing, her limps where lifeless and there was no life in her. I then put her down on my leg, her head lower than her body and again put preasure on her back - quite hard as the seconds where going and I know that every second counts.

I lift her up, no response. Again head down thrusts on her back, then up again to check breathing. Nothing again. At this point I started screaming running around the house!! I tried again. The a few breahts from her then nothing!!! again down on my knee, back thrusts. Again a few breaths then nothing. I did this for 5 times before she actually started breathing without breaks.

Her mouth was full of bubbly saliva/ foam, which I never seen before!! She is a very chokey baby due to her prematurity but I never had anything like this before.

After that she refused to eat and it took around 7 hours before she had some milk. She slept lots.

Now she is behaving normal, but i cant help but worry about the incident. I have no idea how long it lasted, it felt like minutes.

Could that lack of oxygen damage her in any way? or my back thrusts!?

I am so worried, it really took ages to revive her. Will she be ok?

Thanks

2. Halle71

Halle71 Pregnant with number 2!

You poor, poor thing. That must have been so scary. And a massive well done to you for coping.

I doubt she will have any problems but it may be worth talking to NHS direct or your GP for reassurance.

For your peace of mind maybe you should do a first aid course for babies. We had a bit of a scare with Matilda when she started breathing weirdly so I am going to do one - better to be safe that sorry.

Hx

3. Katieeeee

Katieeeee Guest

That's awful you poor thing and poor baby :( You coped sooooo well. If it were me I'd take her down the doctors just to get checked over...I wonder what on earth happened? You are soo bloody brave. x

4. TennisGal

TennisGal Well-Known Member

:hugs: We had a horrible incident on Saturday - I posted about it on here. It's very, very unlikely she has suffered any damage, but maybe give your GP a call to talk it through.

You are a very brave mummy.

5. AP

AP Well-Known Member

Alex has domperidone/motilum for reflux an that too can be syrupy - I've seen her choke on it only to throw up anything thats in her tummy.

It should be put in her cheek, if you're not already dong that?

I have found that sometimes syrups can work if you put them in warm water(like half an ounce) and get LO to take it from a bottle? I do this with lactolose!

6. Scally

Scally Well-Known Member

I agree with the others- definitely worth a trip to your docs to check everything is ok. I think u r so brave doing what u did, i dont know what i'd do if i was in the same situation. Big hugs to u both x