**Advice needed** First time mum, entitlements?

Mummyrose

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Would much appreciate some advice here as to what entitlements i will qualify for once my baby is born... I have searched through various websites but am so baffled by it all lol.

Im 23 and 31 weeks pregnant, living at home with my mum (who claims housing benefit)

I am in a relationship with the father who is 22 and works full time, but we are not living together (he also lives with his mother).

I was working full time for 1 year up until i was 28 weeks preg (left my job due to unfair treatment at work, long story) thankfully still qualified for SMP which i am getting now.

What i want to know is, once my SMP is over what can i claim to help me fiancially in my current situation?

And if me and the father move in together will it just be one massive struggle bearing in mind we have no child care for me to return to work?

Please help :) xx

Hi, once the baby is here you will qualify for:-
SMP/Maternity allowance of £124 pwk
Child benefit £20.30 per week
working tax credit/child tax credit - dependable on the job you are on maternity leave from.

Although you wont be returning to work there you are classed as being employed for tax credit purposes for 39 weeks after the baby is here i believe. You will therefore be eligible for working tax credit and child tax credit. You may be eligible for some housing benefit

use this benefit calculator and play around with the different options maybe....
https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx

If you return to work you will get some help with childcare costs via tax credits although this will be reduced if you live with your partner. You can apply for up to £140 per week of childcare costs i believe

Hi, once the baby is here you will qualify for:-
SMP/Maternity allowance of £124 pwk
Child benefit £20.30 per week
working tax credit/child tax credit - dependable on the job you are on maternity leave from.

Although you wont be returning to work there you are classed as being employed for tax credit purposes for 39 weeks after the baby is here i believe. You will therefore be eligible for working tax credit and child tax credit. You may be eligible for some housing benefit
use this benefit calculator and play around with the different options maybe....
https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx

If you return to work you will get some help with childcare costs via tax credits although this will be reduced if you live with your partner. You can apply for up to £140 per week of childcare costs i believe

I don't think the OP will get housing benefit if she is living with her mum. :nope:

Thanks for your replies girls. I do currently help out with rent costs. Im asuming housing benefit will require me to pay less once my SMP drops to £124 per week as im currently paying £50 per week.

Am now wondering if i will be better off getting my own place with baby and have my partner stay on weekends - if i get help with housing benefit, is this allowed?

you have to be really careful with regards to livin single and havin a partner stay over. The council are crackin down on it as people (obviously not saying you) claim to be livin alone when they are not!as you have a partner i dont no where you would stand. You wont get housin benifit livin with your mum. When baby is here you will get child benifit of bout £80 every 4 weeks. And some tax credits. We have a joint income of 17000 a year and get around 200 every 4 weeks.if you go back to work and need childcare you get upto 70% paid dependin on your wage. If you moved in with oh you may still get help with housin benifit

if your mum is gettin housing benefit and gets less based on your earnings. She may get more when you earn less. Is that what you meant?

How much is your weekly income when your smp drops? Include the ctc you receive

Have a look at the following link. It details what the deductions are after April https://www.easthants.gov.uk/ehdc/benefitsweb.nsf/webpages/Non+Dependant+Deductions+2011-+12

Please note the non dep deductions are increasing significantly in April

Yeah i know people do that little blonde, I dont intend to commit fraud i will be upfront and honest about our living situation, just saying i would be willing to live seperate for a couple of years if it means im better off... I may speak to the housing benefit directly regarding this.

My SMP drops to £124 per week in 4 weeks, once my SMP stops im still not sure what i have to live on per week. Im definitely going to look into going back to work and work out these child care costs, cant say im keen on having someone other than family look after her though :nope:

Yeah thats what i meant, i think she is going to get more help. She's going to see them today so fingers crossed...

Yeah she will definitely get more cause your income drops.

If you do need any help then pm me or on here I work as a hb ctb assessor :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->