Advice needed - overpaid!

xteepeex

Reaction score
I started my mat leave in December, although it was only a weeks worth at 90% (smp) as I used up holiday entitlement first. I got paid for December correctly.

Then in January I should have been paid at 90% for the full month, instead I received over £500 more than I would have on a normal month. I checked my payslip and it stated salary for 3 weeks equivalent (our pay slips are odd, it equated to 90%), and then an extra line for "maternity pay". This maternity pay did not seem to match any figure, it wasn't my normal salary and couldnt be divided by smp rate.

This month I have again received a random figure, I should now be on flat rate smp so I guesstimated about 500 quid take home ish, instead I've been paid nearly £1400!! I haven't received my payslip yet, so don't know what they've paid me for, but this can't be right.

I haven't spent any of the overpayment (Ive basically underspent on what I estimated to be correct) and am happy to give the extras back, but I'm furious that they keep getting it wrong. Due to the owner of the company dying and my manager being off I haven't yet contacted them about last months overpayment (plus I wasn't sure if it was something set up by manager that she'd forgotten to tell me about) but like I said the money is there for them to take back.

How do I go about wording it though - and who do I refer it to? My manager is also a friend, and I do feel awkward about almost complaining that Ive been given free money! But what if it is some kind of maternity benefit I didnt know about? I don't have a contract (long story!) so I can't even check that.

I hope that makes sense, I'm angry that they have got it wrong and now I have to wait for them to take money back from me, and I would assume tax and NI will now have to be re-calculated? I just need advice on how to broach it. (Dh said I should leave it until they notice as its their mistake, but I don't want the money sat there when it's not mine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->