Advice on First Doctor Visit

MumDreamz

Reaction score
Hi everyone

After six years, I'm finally going to see a physician.:happydance: We waited so long because DH refuses to believe there's anything wrong with either of us and he wants to be natural.

I'm down for the natural road. We agreed on no chemicals, but I decided that I needed some information about my body.:winkwink:

What are the tests that you asked for?
What tests did the doctors perform?

I'm asking because my terrible insurance doesn't cover anything really and I'm going to do some phone calls tomorrow to check costs. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. :hugs:

Hi MumDreamz!

After a loss in 2013, and my cycles became spotty--and we haven't used a lick of BC since 2007, but we still wondered why we weren't conceiving...our first two, we had no issues (thankfully---and I don't say that as a put down to any soon-to-be moms who had a struggle, promise!)

So, we agreed for both of us to be tested, just so we can know what we're dealing with. Btw, I'm 41 and DH is 42--& we didn't just want to assume it's our "advanced ages" since many in their 40s are conceiving and having healthy pregnancies and babies.

Ok--to finally answer your question, lol:
For me: I had a vaginal ultrasound to check my ovaries, uterus and overall situation. What sucked was I had to drink a lot of water and go on a full stomach--when I asked why (because the u/s wand is NOT comfy to begin with--and especially a drag with a full bladder) the technician said the full bladder helps the uterus 'unfold' itself (for lack of a better word) and she can see things more clearly. I learn something new everyday ;). I also had bloodwork done--basically a regular physical, which I haven't had in years anyway, so it was done now. Results came back good to go.

DH was all on board with finding out what's going on...that being said, he did say it was his love for me and our family that had him go and get his swimmers tested...he was deeply embarrassed about (let me be frank) going in and masturbating and then handing his 'stuff' to a complete stranger, who knew what he was doing and why...call him a "prude", but I can see his point...but he went and did it anyways. I went with him as support--and the ultra crappy part was he said he was led into a sterile room with a couch and that was IT. He wasn't expecting a 'sensual' environment, but he did say it took him longer for him to do what needed to be done in a room that made him think of a mental ward room from a tv show.

Results came back: his swimmers are low to nil. He had been sick right after our DD was born (long story) and we honestly had started TTCing when she was 18 months old...she's now 6, and we were like "what's going on...?" So, now we know.

We had ruled out having another, until I recently read online other mamas whose men had the same problem, but with herbal supplements on the market, they were able to conceive...so we both are literally just now starting that route. We are very happy with our 2, but still feel like there is someone missing in our family, and thought to try again.

I hope that helps...knowing what you're dealing with will actually be great--that way you both know what your options are and how you can 'plan your attack' and get your :bfp:!

Best wishes and BIG hugs!!!!

Hello! Its great that you are seeing a doc. The truth is that 6 years with no pregnancy and well timed sex usually means that something is not quite right, not to scare you, but that's the truth. Good news is that often the "fixes" can be simple and that does not necessarily mean that you will need a bunch of expensive treatments to get pregnant.

First off all health insurance policies, even the high deductible ones in the USA have to cover the cost a yearly physical exam, which will include a pap smear for women. That would be a great first stop and something to check off the list of what you will need. When assessing costs you may want to call the billing offices of various doctors/hospitals and ask if they offer a sliding scale. When I was in grad school and had no health insurance I got some stuff covered for free from a hospital with their free care program. Thus far in my TTC journey I have only had my hormones checked and a pap smear which all came back normal. If I continue to not have my periods then I am guessing some more testing will be coming my way.

There are OTC home sperm tests which can test for low sperm count. Unfortunately these tests are not advanced enough to test for motility or morphology, but it may be a good starting place for your DH. Also, there are load of supplements he can take to support sperm health naturally. Vitamin C, maca, multi vitamins, folic acid, to name a few. There is also a product called Fertilaid, they make a men's and women's version and many people report those supplements have helped them conceive.

I also highly recommend you start temping and charting if you are not already. If you temp and chart for a couple months you will know if you are ovulating or not. Temping/charting can also help you detect issues like short leutal phase which will prevent a woman from implanting a fertilized egg. Also, if you have a couple months of charts, that's hard data you can bring to your first OBGYN appointment about your cycles. I chart with Fertility Friend along with many other women on this board.

That was way more info than you asked for! Also, there is NO shame in getting fertility treatments if needed! You deserve to have a baby just as much as the next couple, modern medicine can be a wonderful thing. I am 33 and ttc for 8 months and have not ovulated since stopping BCP. My partner and I have decided that if we need fertility treatment we will go with the low level treatments (like clomid) but won't do IVF and instead look at adoption because we really want to be parents.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

One more thing, you can open a health savings account to save for medical expenses tax free.

Thank you both so much I wanted to have options in mind while I call around to find a good doctor. Ah, yes. My physical was covered. My tests came back all normal. I'm going to try to request a thyroid and hormone test next before the ultrasound. Hopefully, I'll be able to convince the Man to swallow the Pride. :)

No prob! Glad your physical came back normal, that's one thing off the list! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->