ADVICE PLEASE-Good & Bad- Measuring REALLY small- Heartbeat

KelseyK

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I received my BFP Last Tuesday! I was in total shock because DH and I were not ttc. Due to me having PCOS it wasn't unusual for me to have long cycles so when I was on CD50 with no AF I really wasn't even thinking I could be PG. It wasn't until I started feeling sick and not getting better that I took the test :)

Based on when I o'd (I know because I had spotting) and based on THE ONLY TIME DH AND I DTD besides a week ago.. I am 8 weeks. I KNOW my dates are right.

Anyway- I went to my DR and she did an ultrasound and she told me I am only 5weeks3day.... I told her that can't be and she told me I must have ovulated later than I thought, that would make sense except we only DTD once! So unless my DH's sperm somehow lived for 3 weeks, that can't be right.

So here I am, 8 weeks and measuring 5. Totally freaked out because I know the usual outcome of that. The baby did however have a great HB in the 150's.

Any advice or stories (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated right now. My dr thinks everything is fine and dandy but I KNOW my dates aren't 'Wrong'

I got back in 2 weeks. The wait will kill me.

Thanks ladies <3 <3 <3

Aww, I'm sorry you are going through such a worry :( unfortunately I don't have much input on that, but have you asked for blood work in the meantime to see if your levels are still rising? What did your dr say? Maybe if you tell them you can rest over this they will do something else like blood every other day for the next wk or 2.....

I remember you were due around the same time (I think same due date, but went much earlier) as me last time around. :flower:

I wouldn't worry too much. You have a healthy heartbeat, and that's a great positive. I know the miscarriage rate goes down once there is one. And Micah measured behind ~2 weeks at that age, and continued to stay behind throughout. He was just a small baby though.

The new little one is also behind...3 weeks. I was SURE of my dates since DH and I only did it twice, near each other. Lo and behold, at 12 weeks baby is still healthy. :thumbup: Guess I really don't know when I ovulate!

I was in same situation where I KNEW based off day I got positive test alone I was NOT the 7 weeks they were telling me. I had dates tracked and there was NO WAY possible it could have happened as it was weeks off. HB was also high for the weeks they were telling me based on the average. I ended up MC few weeks later.

I'm so sorry your going through all this, I don't have much experience with this but I just want to wish you the best and certainly don't lose hope yet if baby had a good HB in there.

Keep us updated :hugs:

:hugs:

I measured 1 week small with DS with HB of 147 at almost 8 weeks & it went well but I think I ovulated late.

With my last pregnancy I was so sure about the dates, I measured almost 10 days small at almost 8 weeks (measured 6w 5d) hb was 157, unfortunately it ended with a mmc at 9w 5d

My last bfp I was measuring behind but I hardly got a heartbeat, that was bad. I continued to go for U/s they noticed less and less growth.

I also think its a good sign to have a heartbeat. Is there any way that you can go back sooner than the two weeks?

I measured a week behind with my oldest and youngest. I think it really depends on when the egg implants, and some babies are just slow growers at first. Start taking your prenatal vitamins :) I think your baby is okay

I had a similar story I was TTC with clomid (as I didn't ovulate naturally) so I know my dates were accurate as I did basal temping and opk's prior to concieving....anyway I went for my first scan at what I should of been 7 weeks but my ultrasound showed baby measured 5+1 (so 13 days out) with a hb and yolk sac present I was worried straight away expecting the worst and told to return a fortnight later which was horrible waiting so I returned after 2 weeks and baby was ok still slightly behind but had caught up by a couple of days I then had to go for another scan another 2 weeks later and it showed baby right on track exactly by my dates! Try to stay positive my sonographer said it's harder to get accurate measurements when baby's are so small as they are curled up x

I had something similar this time, I knew my dates and had an early scan due to a previous ectopic. I was pretty sure I was 7 weeks. The scan put me at 5+3 although we saw the yolk, baby and a good heartbeat. The sonographer was really reassuring and said that when it's so early, the tiniest fluctuation in measurement can change the dating and that the computer will automatically calculate a gestation based on measurement. She said the most important thing is the heartbeat and that if I really was 5+3 as the measurements suggested it would actually be very unusual to see the heartbeat that clearly. At my 12 week scan they moved my due date forward a week, so based on that the early scan was out nearly 3 weeks even though I'm still convinced my due date is a week later than they've given me!!

Even though the first weeks are so stressful try not to worry too much. The 12 week scan is much more accurate for dating purposes :flower:

I agree with other posts. Hard to see a great heartbeat at 5 weeks (in most cases, no heartbeat seen) so might just be measurement error.

Hang in there!

Was it by any chance an external scan (usually underestimates dates this early on)? Or if internal, did you have a full bladder (that can make the image fuzzy)? Also, sorry if this is insensitive, but if you are overweight I believe that can also affect the clarity of the image. Or, maybe you have a tilted uterus? Or the baby was in a funny position? There are plenty of reasons why the measurement might be off, none of them are anything to worry about.

Normally, a heartbeat is only really detected from around 5+4 onwards and is about 60-90 bpm. I'm guessing that since the heartbeat was 150bpm you are right with your dates. Also, did you actually see the scan?
Here is a great website that shows what to expect week by week. Maybe you can compare what you saw?

https://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html

In any case, with such a great heartbeat it doesn't sound like a pregnancy that is failing to thrive so fingers crossed all will be well at your next scan! And congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks for all the replies ladies <3 I've been a mess these last 2 weeks. I feel like I'm just hanging out in limbo. I have heard good and bad outcomes with people in my position so while I'm trying to stay positive, I'm not really excited or sad, just confused. I'm sitting at drs office right now, just waiting to go in. I suppose I'll know soon! Thanks for all the support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->