Advice please? Labour not pregressing

Thumper

Reaction score
Hey. Just a bit frustrated, since Monday I've had pains and contractions that have built up until early evening yesterday. I've also been losing my plug for that time (I think it's finally all gone now) and having a good old 'clear out'. The contractions have been a fairly regular 5mins apart, lasting around a minute since 5 or 6 pm yesterday. During the night they increased in severity but not time. I only managed an hours sleep because of the pain and regularity :cry:

This morning they seem to have dropped off in severity although are still coming fairly regularly. I'm worried that all the contractions will stress out LO (first time Mum so clueless!) and also I'd rather not go through another 24 hours like the last ;) as nothing seems to be pregressing at all now :(

My LO also seems to have slipped round back to back in the last couple of days despite being perfectly positioned and engaged for weeks! I am now bouncing and climbing up the stairs on all fours to try and encourage movement.

When is it a good time to call the MW on duty (home water birth pleeease :D )?

Thanks alot for your advice ladies.

Thumper

Hi Thumper! You're probably doing the best thing you can by keeping moving, keeping bouncing... just stay relaxed. Obviously it is hard with regular contractions but you need to be doing all you can to keep yourself calm - if some of the pain has subsided, try getting some more sleep. LO shouldn't be stressed out - the contractions are just preparing him/her for their entrance and if they go on for a period of a few days, this is the right amount of time he/she needs to get round the right way, get to 'all systems go' stage and get your cervix all ready and open.

If you're concerned about anything then ring your midwife now, she may just come round for a chat (likelihood is if you are still having regular contractions, but far apart enough/not painful enough then she won't be staying around until you've further signs you're nearly there). But don't stay there worrying! Keep relaxed and you'll do a great job :flower:

Sounds like you're doing everything right to encourage baby to switch back round. Try some visualisation when your bouncing etc, imagining your baby turning into the best position for you to birth.

Get the oxytocin flowing with some massage and touching breasts and nips - if you feel like it!
Call the midwife anyway, a bit of a motivational conversation will give you a boost xxx

Things can pick up really slowly - so don't worry..you have all the positivity of your plug going, and the tightenings... things ARE happing - you just need to tell yourself that! Honestly once the process has started it doesn't really stop. Try and get some sleep (left side is better for blood flow), and remember to eat and drink!

Distraction is the best thing ever! Go for walks, get into some cooking, even clean those skirting boards! (wow doesn't that sound a bit 1950's!)

My personal experience is that I lost my plug over 24hrs and then baby arrived 48hrs later.. but everyone is different, so that might not even be helpful ;-).. Just trust in yourself and your insticts. Anything makes you uncomfortable, stop doing it, and anything that does - say bouncing etc.. keep doing it!

I was looking into Optiaml fetal positioning yeaterday, and the evidence is that even if at the start of labour your baby isn't in a favourable position.. most (98% infact) come out the right way! Stay off your back.. and have a look at spinningbabies.com for position advice.

It won't be too long now, but don't wish it away.. enjoy every moment.
XxX

I spent a good portion of my labor with the baby back to back, but she rotated when she came down the birth canal and came out facing down. In between distracting yourself, take rest periods whenever you can, and stay hydrated!! Hang in there! :)

Thank you everyone. I am still doing my best to stay positive. Midwife spoken to, she was lovely but of course my very regular contractions stopped when I spoke to her! So after thinking I was moving into established labour it appears not.

The pain in my lowerback and pelvis is just really shocking me, getting unbearable. But more bouncing and positive thoughts...

It can stay this way for a little while. It's call "prodroming," where your body is gearing up, but not quite there yet. You'll hit established labor pretty soon though. You just need to stay rested and hydrated while you get through it, so that you can keep your stamina up. It can be very exhausting!

I started loosing my plug and having pains every 10 mins on the tues, these continued weds thurs stopped fri and then it all kicked off sat morning about 11am with my bloody show and contractions started to get closer longer stronger and i had my baby sun 8.34 (28th march last year almost one!!) so hang in there relax keep eating and drinking. Have a snooze if you can, keep active when you feel awake scrub the floor maybe? my midwife said it was good as mine was slightly back to back at my last appointment and she said if anything started then to scrub the floor.

Your contractions sound like mine last labour only my waters had gone so I had a clock ticking to ensure I was too stressed to properly dilate! I would say try to remember that your contractions are all doing something. They are turning the baby and helping put pressure on the cervix. It might take a while but even if it does it could be that dilation and second stage come very quickly once this early stage has done its job. I know how hard it is contracting every 5 mins, hard, and not sleeping for so long. Do try and rest. Do keep doing all the active things too. Try to eat and drink well to keep your strength up. Nipple stimulation it would seem can work really well, as can kissing and touching with your oh. You can try some visualisation of dilation and things to help mentally support your body.

You're doing so well. Well done! I hope things take a turn for the faster soon so you can meet your LO. Every contraction is one closer to holding your baby. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->