Advice please ladies....

diz

Reaction score
I have been told that i might not get my home birth due to shortages.

Basically there are three counties covered in my local NHS trust area. There used to be 2 midwives on call each day for each county, this means 6 midwives in all, therefore 3 home births could be covered per day.

That has now been cut to one midwife per county, so 3 midwifes in total which means there is only enough staff to cover one home birth per day.

So even though they have cut staff by on half, they have cut potential home births per day by two thirds.

When i was told this at 37 weeks i was not really concerned as i didn't think when it came to the crunch it would affect me. But as my EDD creeps closer i am concerned that i will call the labour ward once labour starts only to be told that they community midwives are attending another birth and there is no one to come out to me so i will have to go to hospital.

I know that staff cuts should not be my issue. That i have the right to birth where i like. That they can not make me go into hospital. But how do i make sure i have done everything i need to do to ensure i get my home birth with out really pissing of my community midwives..?

Thanks x

I dunno other than phoning them asap when you think you're in labour so someone else doesn't beat you to the post! Thats terrible though :( Our system here is really good. If the first team (my GP comm. mw team) is at another birth, they call a 2nd team and they see to me, if theyre busy, they call a 3rd etc so there will always be someone available. then when the 2nd mw is needed, they go back to the first team to see if theyre finished, if not they go to 2nd team etc. idk why other places dont just do the same :shrug:

Difficult situation but they are still duty bound to attend you.

i don't know what to do either - but thats a really good system that you have.

I'd just try and not worry about it and cross the bridge when/if you come to it :hugs:

they can send hospital mws and get bank mw's in to cover in the hospital hun or at least send a paramedic crew there will be a way of doing it

I had a MW appointment today so i spoke to her about my concerns. My MW told me that they have never not attended one of their HB woman and she didn't envisage it being a problem at all...phew!

Good news, I would still call ASAP to make sure you are first on the list.

I think its silly they are supposed to be encouraging more homebirths but then there is no staff. I know they can't help it. My concern is my husband won't stand up for me and make them come out. I want a hypno-water-homebirth and although I am doing alot of work on accepting what happens happens, I hope if i do got to hospital its because i am happy to and know we did all we can to stay at home IYKWIM.

thats a bit rubbish isnt it! but glad they dont think it'll be a problem. if they are seeing to another lady, theres still that one MW left that could come and see you, they dont need the second until later on, so if you call asap and make sure they know whats happening. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->