• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice please UK ladies on Maternity Towels after birth

bengalicious

Pregnant 1st Trimester
Reaction score
Hi Ladies, not sure if this is the right place for this post but seemed the most sensible.
I am just in my third trimester but trying to get really organised and stocked up on everything I might need so that I dont have to send my husband out shopping for stuff that he wont have a clue about haha

Maternity Towels? There seems to be a fair few on the market mostly supermarket own brands and so many conflicting stories about whats best. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with any at all to help me chose? I usually wear towels with wings so this seems to feel like a better idea but does it make any difference? Also would you def recommend disposable knickers too.
Thanks from a nervous first time mum to be x

I wouldn't go for wings as they could stick to your stitches if you have any, which would be awful!! I also only used pads with wings pre-pregancy, but got on with maternity pads fine.

I used tesco ones and found them very good. I would buy a fair few packets as you get through more than you expect - the Midwifes recommend changing them every time you go to the loo to avoid infection, so I think I got through about 5 packets in the first week! After that my stitches were healing well and the bleeding was reducing so I switched to always pads.

I bought disposable knickers but never even used them - I had also bought some big briefs from asda, nice and cheap, black and Bridget jones like, and just wore those! They were really comfy and held the pads in place nicely too. I just bought a size larger than I would normally buy.

I also wouldn't bother with wings, I ran out of maternity pads so my mum bought me some normal pads with wings and they were so uncomfy the wings kept sticking to me bits and making it even more sore than they already were and I didn't even have stitches. If your worried about non wings leaking which ano is most people's concerns I can assure you that everyone is in the same boat and leaking is inevitable, I honestly didn't believe how much I'd bleed. Which also leads to say buy alot of pads which I didn't hence sending mum. I used tesco maternity pads and found them ok.
I bought disposable pants and a cheap 4 pack of blacks ones (1.50 from primark) size bigger and realised the disposable we're too small but was thankful for the proper big knickers in the end so I'd suggest getting cheap big black (for leakage) knickers. Also dark pj bottoms and/or nightie for leakage again. Saves embarrassment when people keep coming in.

I got mithridate ones specific for after birth, and tbh, morrisons own brand wingless thick sanitary towels were so much better, wider and softer :)

Boots wingless maternity pads or the asda little angels ones were great for me wore them for a week xx

Kotex are a normal pad designed for maternity use and I find them much better than manufactured as maternity pads. After the first few days I have always used ones with wings and had no problem with them pulling on stitches etc but the ones with wings don't 'work' with most disposable or big pants as the gusset is too wide for them-so I only use them once the flow of bleeding has died down and I can wear more normal pants with them xx

I second tescos new mum pads. I never had a problem with them and Gounod them quite comfortable around my stitches xx

I didnt know which to get either so I decided that I would buy one pack from all the stores, I have found tescos and super drug ones the best, however I bought the night time extra absorbent ones without wings rather than "maternity" pads, they are the very same thing only the maternity ones are more expensive. The only thing I will say it buy LOADS, I bought about 6 packs before I went in, I have found that Iv gone through about 15 packs in three weeks, ( I changed a pad every time I went to the loo to reduce risk of infection).

I found Boots maternity pads were the best. They're really thick and cheap enough, which is good because I was changing them almost every time I went for a wee because I like feeling fresh and dry. I used those for about a week or so and then switched to normal overnight pads with wings. You'll want thick ones to begin with because you'll likely bleed through just normal pads if the bleeding is heavy (I would have). And get twice as many as you think you'll need. I bought two packets, but probably used 4.

I also second the boots pads, really good. I bought 2 packs of the think ones and used 4, used a whole pack of ten in the first day at hospital efore getring home. I then used the slim ones for about 2 weeks, only bleeding for about 2.5 weeks in total.

I also recommend the boots ones, they seemed the thickest and softest and with stitches that's what you want!

I used morrisons one, I used loads, my waters went first so ended up having to send hubby to morrisons to get more! These did the job well too.

Sainsburys own brand thick ones were fine. I also had some of the boots slimline maternity pads (or similar name) and couldn't get on with them at all - frankly I needed something soft squishy and matress like to avoid hurting my stitches. No wings here. I bought a pack of matalan black cotton enormous full brief pants (granny eat your heart out) and used those. much comfier than disposable and actually i didn't have any problems with leaking so i've kept them for if we decide to do this again!

I liked mothercare ones the most. Also used boots and asda ones which were ok too. Boots probably better than asda in my experience.

I use boots own, there £1.05 for a pack of 10, I use at least a whole pack a day but I change mine very often, there so good , very absorbing and so soft! I had lots of stitches and first of all tried tescos, they were quite rough on my stitches and wernt very comphy! boots own are great, id deffo reccomend them, stock up on ALOT!
You'll go through more than you know
:)

I think as well iiirc, your supposed to have maternity pads as they soak the blood differently to normal pads - so even if you switch start with maternity pads.

I used tesco or asda own. both are great. tescos were less than £1 a pack - so you can stock up and its not too costly.

I used old knickers instead of disposales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexJEllison
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->