advice

Kayleigh&Summer

Reaction score
Summer had her mmr a week yesterday ago she not been right all week since with food etc... her naps all over the place. last night about12am she woke up hysterical with raging temp igave her calpol. she woke every hour cried and moaned in her sleep all night. today i've had the odd smile but she is very sleepy refusing food and got a temp so i just gave her more calpol.

anyone elses lke this after mmr?is it the mmr? i'm debating taking her to docs but fed up of them just saying virus. i'll see how she is later. she just not herself. i'm just looking for advice if anyone had someting similar with LO what did u do to help them get over it??? how long did it take???

thank you hope made sense xxx

I foud this for you hun on side effects of the MMR, so its ties up with how Summer is behaving
MMR contains three separate vaccines in one injection. Each vaccine has different side effects at different times:

About a week to 10 days after the MMR immunisation some children become feverish and they may develop a measles-like rash and go off their food. This is because the measles part of the vaccine is starting to work.
About three to four weeks after the injection a child might occasionally get a mild form of mumps as the mumps part of MMR kicks in.
In the six weeks after MMR your child may, very rarely, get a rash of small bruise-like spots which may be caused by the measles or rubella parts of the immunisation. This usually gets better on its own.
Very rarely, children can have severe allergic reactions straight after any immunisation (about 1 in 100,000 immunisations for MMR). If the child is treated quickly, he or she will recover fully. People giving immunisations are trained to deal with allergic reactions.
Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), a bleeding disorder, has long been a recognised side-effect of live viral vaccines such as measles, rubella and MMR. A study by researchers from the Public Health Laboratory Service (published in Archives of Diseases in Childhood, February 2001) confirms earlier estimates that the rate of ITP after MMR is around 1 in 22,300. It is important to remember that the rate of ITP after natural viral illness is much higher (at about 1 in 3,000 for rubella and 1 in 6,000 for measles) and that the severity of illness in non-vaccine related ITP cases is much greater. Therefore MMR offers protection against this higher risk of ITP due to the natural disease, as well as the other known serious complications of measles, mumps and rubella.

Thank you Cat. that sounds exactly like Summer she have been terrible today clinging to me and either grissling or sleeping.

doubt she go to bed tonight she wont even nap in her cot today.
she driving me crazy today anway thanx again xxx

Hey Kay, does sound like the side effects for mmr, Jamie has been almost the same, hes also had a real bad cough/cold which is keeping him awake a night. Hes not 100% now but hes better than he was....proper mummys boy at the mo though !! i usually walk around with him hanging off my leg !!!!LOL

Keep up with the calpol and lots of hugs and im sure Summer will be better soon, dont forget if you do get really worried you could always phone nhs direct, they are brill! :D

:hugs:

That sounds quite scary Cat - I know that it's best for them to be immunised but it's still horrible putting them through it.

Yeah we all got worried the other week, a guy OH works closely with went down with German measles the other week, and continued to come into work, till one of the managers whoes wife is pregnant told him to go home cause of the risk he was putting other people under. OH has spent a lot of time with him and wasnt sure if he was immuised. I had blood tests few weeks ago to check I was still covered because of the harm it can do to unborn babies. Loads of us were really pissed of at how irrisponsible he had been by continuing to go to work with it. I think its worth the discomfort it can cause to little ones, just think if Summer went down with measles, while Kay is PG!!

It would be really horrible :( Sorry Kayl I didn't say that I hope she's better soon in my first post!

I can't offer any advice, monster munch is only 9 months but I hope she is ok xx

Braydon has changed in the last week since he had his he is grumpy very clingy and wont eat

he in the last two days has gained a rash and is very clumbsy used to walk fine now is all over the place
he also occasionally suffers with a high temp so i give him calpol

alexis has been sick this week too :? but she didn't get any immunizations.

since tuesday morning she hasn't been able to keep any food or milk down, has had a fever off and on, and diarehha (sp), clingy, and whining more than usual.

all i've been able to get into her is a bit of chicken soup broth, and one infant nutritional supplement which she's thrown back up :(

we took her to the hospital today and they said she had an ear infection, but i didn't think an ear infection would make her that sick :?

my friends daughter was sick last weekend too...seems a lot of people are getting sick around now, maybe its just one big flu bug?

so sad tho to see lo's all sick :( it makes me feel so helpless, i hope everyone's lo is feeling better now. xxx

yesterday all Summer seemed to do was sleep on and off in my arms all day. very feverish even when had calpol managed to get her to have a little food at a force but she has drunk bottle after bottle of milk and to be honest if she dont feel like food I can hardly stop the milk as that is whats filling her. well because she slept loads yesterday day she didn't want to go to bed. she went up around 7:30pm as she was knackered then but from 8o clockpm she was wide awake I tried giving her bottle,rocking her too sleep (thats the only way she gets to sleep is rocked) anyway in then end I brought her downstairs at 9pm she run around she hadn't done that all day but by 10pm she was shattered so I took her up to bed but se wont let me leave the room and she wouldn't go in her cot. so I put her in my bed and all through the night she woke up every 30mins crying in her sleep needed rocking she wanted to be in my arms.

5am I got up with her changed nappy etc.. she went back up at 6am until 6:50 so i got 50mins sleep. she got up refused breakfast. i've been walking around with her on my hip she is looking shattered full of a fever so more calpol. 8:30 she wanted to go to sleep i'm so suprised she is in her cot.

just a few questions should the fever last this long?
should i be concerened she wont eat/play she not her happy self?
I needed to pop out to get some shopping cant exactly she wont stay with anyone. she is so heavy on my hip. any ideas on how to keep her awake if she sleeps all day then well 2nite will be hell again? should I just let her sleep?

think i'm going to ring docs now to have her checked over she looks terrible
thanks for ev1s replies. I know it prob the mmr but I dont think she should be as bad as she is

I wil catch up on posts soon. so difficult with Summer clinging too me 24/7 xxx

Yeah its prob worth you just getting her checked out, the information I have found has said that the fever comes on about a week after the MMR and lasts about 2-3 days. And if its persistant after that you should get them checked out. At least it should give you some peace of mind.
Hope all goes well hu, and let us know how you get on.

Awww hun you must be shattered, i think you are doing the right thing getting her checked out. Bless, its horrible when they are poorly, makes us feel so helpless :(

Sending a big hug to summer and jamie send a big kiss too ! :hugs: really hope she feels better soon

Keep us updated :)

xx

well took her to doctors she got a full blown throat infection along with after effects from MMR. glad I got her checked. she is now having her 3rd nap of the day LOL she never gonna sleep 2nite, oh well.oh doc give antibiotics which I had to pin her down which was hardwork.
thanks ev1 xx

Summer sends a big hug to Jamie (she wont send kiss because throat infection) speak soon steph. xxx

Yea good idea best save the kisses for now!!! :lol:

Aww bless what great timing what with getting over mmr etc. Hope she feels better soon. How long is she on antibiotics for? i bet thats fun trying to get it down her :? !

xx

ABOUT 4 times a day until antibiotics is finished, it's great fun. she was nearly sick before bed having it but she needs it. hope 2nite is better

anyway hope u and Jamie are ok??? xxx

Aww bless, hopefuly they will kick in soon and she starts to feel better :)

Yea we're both good thanks, i start back at placement next week so not looking forward to 12.5 hour shifts! :(

Howz the bump? bet your getting big now ! :D

How is she today hun? x

She's not too bad today thanks. although bit moany at times she has still not ate today she just wanted bottle after bottle. she haven't been as clingy though and slept better last night so antibiotics have taken effect. lets hope she is back to her normal self and eating like a piggy soon lol xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->