advised to take low dose aspirin?

sophie22

Reaction score
due to raised blood pressure in my second pregnancy (I think mostly anxiety induced) I have been deemed high risk for high Bp issues again and so advised to take 75mg aspirin 12 weeks until birth. problem is I have had some bowel bleeding three times in less than a year which I am being told is probably ibs by the registrar. I have had ibs since I was 11. now 30, this is new. Plus I am on lanzoprazole and whenever I try come off it I am in do much pain and was sick. I am worried there is an ulcer or something going on I don't know about yet. which would make taking aspirin dangerous. but I want to do the best thing. obviously I am going to book to see the doctor or call midwife when she is in tomorrow but I just wondered if any others are on it or have issues like me

Hi hun no experience with the ulcer thing etc but I'm taking aspirin for high risk pre eclampsia and I just make sure I take mine with food so it doesn't get a chance to irritate my stomach xx

Low dose aspirin is not an issue to take. I am taking it daily and several of the doctors that I have seen have no issue with me taking it till I deliver.

I'm taking it, high risk of pre eclampsia as I had post eclampsia last time. It hasn't bothered my stomach at all.

I'm taking it as I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden and I take it for blood thinning/anti clotting purposes, but I'm supposed to go off of it four weeks before my due date as having any sort of blood thinning agent in your system can cause issues with the epidural if needed.

I'm taking it as I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden and I take it for blood thinning/anti clotting purposes, but I'm supposed to go off of it four weeks before my due date as having any sort of blood thinning agent in your system can cause issues with the epidural if needed.

oh really. I wonder what complication that is. I was told until birth. Thanks all for replies. I see my GI doc this month and I will ring and ask the midwife tomorrow to make sure. I think I'm just scared to take it incase I get this bowel bleeding again and it makes it worse

oh really. I wonder what complication that is. I was told until birth. Thanks all for replies. I see my GI doc this month and I will ring and ask the midwife tomorrow to make sure. I think I'm just scared to take it incase I get this bowel bleeding again and it makes it worse

I'm not quite sure what the complications were, but low dose aspirin won't make as big of a difference as, say, a full fledged blood thinner would and I think they were moreso taking me off of it four weeks early as just routine with blood thinners.

I'm taking daily aspirin as well and have been since I was diagnosed with infertility in 2012. I too had had some minimal bowel bleeding off and on for a few years before that. No one had seemed worried about it, so I wasn't concerned.

During my first pregnancy, I did have a gush of bowel blood one time but it went away quickly. However, it really worried me since it was much more blood than I'd had before. Soon after, I had a miscarriage (unrelated), and since I wasn't pregnant anymore, I went to the gastroenterologist and told him it was time we took a look to figure out what was wrong. He did a colonoscopy and found a large pre-cancerous adenoma- so scary! He told me that if I had waited another year, I would have had colorectal cancer!!

However, he didn't have me stop taking the aspirin except for the few days before the colonoscopy and a couple days after. He also said that even though I'm a high risk for colorectal issues, that taking the aspirin is totally fine.

Anyway! Long story short, I think you're fine to take it, but if you're having frequent bleeding, you really should have someone take a look and see where the issue is- even if it is likely just IBS. My dr said that red blood is lower in your system, black blood is higher. Mine was always red, so colonoscopy was the first test they did- and I'm so thankful they did it!!!

Hi I have been advised by my dr to take 75mg of aspirin too every day for high risk preeclampsia. From 16 weeks I started it and he said to keep taking it til I'm 32 weeks.

Hi I have been advised by my dr to take 75mg of aspirin too every day for high risk preeclampsia. From 16 weeks I started it and he said to keep taking it til I'm 32 weeks.

this makes me feel a bit better. I was meant to start at 12 weeks (I'm 11) but I see my GI doc on the26th so will be 14 weeks when/if starting. I called my midwife today and she agreed although it probably won't be an issue, wait to ask the doc about taking it with the bowel problems I have had. she said she doubts a couple of weeks late start will make a difference to it but I still felt bad about a late start

I'm taking daily aspirin as well and have been since I was diagnosed with infertility in 2012. I too had had some minimal bowel bleeding off and on for a few years before that. No one had seemed worried about it, so I wasn't concerned.

During my first pregnancy, I did have a gush of bowel blood one time but it went away quickly. However, it really worried me since it was much more blood than I'd had before. Soon after, I had a miscarriage (unrelated), and since I wasn't pregnant anymore, I went to the gastroenterologist and told him it was time we took a look to figure out what was wrong. He did a colonoscopy and found a large pre-cancerous adenoma- so scary! He told me that if I had waited another year, I would have had colorectal cancer!!

However, he didn't have me stop taking the aspirin except for the few days before the colonoscopy and a couple days after. He also said that even though I'm a high risk for colorectal issues, that taking the aspirin is totally fine.

Anyway! Long story short, I think you're fine to take it, but if you're having frequent bleeding, you really should have someone take a look and see where the issue is- even if it is likely just IBS. My dr said that red blood is lower in your system, black blood is higher. Mine was always red, so colonoscopy was the first test they did- and I'm so thankful they did it!!!

thanks for your reply! It is so stressful because it's happened a few times now but I've had ibs nearly 20 years and this is new. I did have a colonoscopy and a scan but all they found was mild inflammation. no sign of colitis or crohns or any cancer. I just can't accept ibs would do this when it never has before. It really is stressful. mines always been red well more pink blood in mucus. its so weird and always occurs after what seems like a very severe ibs attack. more severe and painful than usual. I don't know, it's one stress I could do without. I also worry because I bruise crazy sometimes. literally had a bruise dark purple the size of my hand from a blood test in my last pregnancy!

That's so weird! Can they do a colonoscopy during an ibs attack in the future just to make sure that there is nothing more serious going on? I would push for answers- and some coagulation testing, too. In the mean time though, I would think the aspirin should be safe. Even with the history of colorectal polyps, I was put on daily injections of anticoagulants along with my aspirin this last IVF cycle, and all was fine.

I'm not sure I have this feeling I might have ulcerative colitis but just really early stages on it before you get ulcers. I just can't believe ibs would do that. I go back on the 26th if this month so I guess I will see what the plan is then. But like you say I think it will be ok to take it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->