After a homebirth?

I had my baby at home but had to transfer to hospital about an hour after she was born around 9pm. The hospital staff were so lovely i really couldnt have asked for more, after i was treated etc they made sure myself, OH and LO were ok and brought us some tea and toast and let us settle for the night. We had our own room and were not disturbed (apart from when they came to remove my drip). It really wasnt as bad as i'd thought being in hospital would be and my mum had cleaned all the mess up for us by the time we arrived home the next day - bonus!

If you dont feel upto visitors at home just tell people you will text when you feel upto it - they will totally understand!

I cant comment on homebirth but hospital like get you out pretty fast if its normal delivery.

Ive gave birth twice in the morning and left the same day, sevond time mws were rushing me because someone else needed the labour room do skin to skin cut short, feeding cut short me shovef in shower, OH left to sort baby, mws changed bed in whole process i ended up losing my phone.

I can not wait for a homebirth x

With my hospital birth i had to stay in for the night as my LO and i were so exhausted she wouldn't latch properly, but even then i had 1 MW help me try to BF and i ended up expressing. The second time i asked no one came - so i figured it out myself.

They do rush you a lot in hospital. I missed out on our initial skin-to-skin as they shoved me in the bath then made me walk 2 floors to get to the ward (after 34 hours of labour). i was then left to my own devices until i was discharged at 6pm the following evening. I felt so lonely and was desperate to leave.

i am praying i get my home birth as i can imagine it is a lot more relaxed. i like the idea of sleeping in my own bed, not being rushed and being in my own surroundings with our little boy.

xx

I hated being in hospital with my first. The food sucks, someone is constantly coming in and turning on the light, someone always wanting to touch the baby and of course all the germs.

With my second we had a homebirth and it was a night and day difference. It was so nice to wear my own clothes, eat my own food, wrap up in my own blankets etc etc

After my homebirth we had so many visits from midwives and could phone them if we needed help or they would see us if we needed breastfeeding support. We were fine caring for Jasper but I did need a bit more help breastfeeding, I just didn't 'get' how to latch him on correctly and he was jaundiced and losing weight so I got to stay in hospital, they kindly gave me a private room and 24/7 bfing help which was great.

The aftermath is better, IMO. You stay with your family and rest... Hospital beds, hospital food and hospital routines aren't conducive to a blissful transition to motherhood, if you ask me.

I confess I loved having food brought to me 3x a day and not having to clean up or do laundry (hospital even provided cloth nappies and picked them up with the linens and towels every day) but as madasa said, it really doesn't help you get used to normal life at all.
But I also had a really great hospital experience. We weren't rushed out of the delivery suite as it was a quiet night so I think it was 2, maybe even 3 hours before we stopped skin to skin for me to go have a shower and when I was done my bags had all been moved to my room, which I had to myself for two nights and a roommate the third night. (Double rooms in my hospital for the most part). Each room had its own bathroom too.

I hadn't wanted to stay the night at all but DD was born at 8:30pm and it was midnight before I was cleaned up so had to stay the night and I was so sore and liked being waited on so stayed another night. And my milk came in that night and I was in agony so was glad I was there to have on call assistance with latching her so engorged that I stayed another night to really make sure I had the hang of it.

But DD also never left my side. The mws only took babies to the nursery if the mother begged and they didn't so much as touch her without asking permission.

Having dh go home at night did suck though. I'd have been far happier sleeping in my own bed with my own comfortable surroundings and familiar sounds.

I definitely plan on going home asap this time around. But this time I also have a better support network. It was just dh and my parents with DD, but now I have heaps of friends I know I can count on to help out initially and I plan to stock my freezer with meals beforehand. I also have a doula who does sleep overs if necessary.

I cant think of anything better than laying in my own bed after birth x

Getting in my own shower, own bed and home cooked food by my husband was the best thing ever!! I loved both my homebirths and wouldn't have it any other way :)

I cant think of anything better than laying in my own bed after birth x

This. Curling up in my king sized bed while nursing my newborn and being cuddled by my husband after we just delivered our son was the most amazing thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->