After miscarriage, best to try Again ASAP

mummy_blues

Us n our identical BOYS!
Reaction score
PARIS - Women who conceive within six months after a miscarriage have a better chance of a healthy pregnancy without complications compared to women who wait longer, according to a study released Friday.

They are less likely to have another miscarriage, and are also less likely to experience a caesarean section, deliver prematurely or have low-birth weight babies, the study showed.

The findings, published in the British Medical Journal, are likely to be controversial.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that women who experience a miscarriage should wait at least six months before getting pregnant again, and
other medical authorities suggest holding off even longer.

To get a clearer picture, researchers led by Sohinee Bhattacharya at the Aberdeen Maternity Hospital in Scotland reviewed the medical histories of more than 30,000 women in Scotland who had a miscarriage in their first pregnancy and then became pregnant again between 1981 and 2000.

“Our research shows that women who conceive within six months of an initial miscarriage have the best reproductive outcomes and the lowest complication rates in a subsequent pregnancy,” they concluded.

“It is unnecessary for women to delay conception after a miscarriage.”

The results held true even though the women who conceived within half-a-year were, on average, two years older than the women who waited at least 24 months.

Differences in socioeconomic level did not affect the outcome.

The study pointed out that delays in getting pregnant were perhaps more of a issue in wealthy societies, where women often choose to wait until they are older to have children.

“Women over 35 are more likely to experience difficulties in conceiving and women aged 40 have a 30 percent chance of miscarriage, which rises to 50 percent in those aged 45 or more,” the study noted.

An earlier study of more than 250,000 Latin American women found that an interval of six months or less between pregnancies was linked to a higher risk for the mother and the late-stage foetus or newborn, including maternal anaemia, low birth weight and premature delivery in the next pregnancy.

But the study – the basis for the WHO recommendations – did not distinguish between induced abortions and miscarriages, which could have affected the findings, Bhattacharya said.

On average, approximately one in five pregnancies end in miscarriage before the 24th week.

would be great to hear about your experiences girls..
my doctor said I could try rightaway anytime I felt like it, but I've heard other doctors saying other wise!

Hey, my doctor said i could try again pretty much straight away too, i was gunna wait till my next cycle but couldn't wait that long. Don't think i could wait 6 months or more!

My dr. advised waiting one cycle, I couldnt wait and decided to try straight away. Unfortunately I did ovulate that cycle. I just got my first AF back a couple of days ago and Im hoping for bfp this cycle.

My doc said try after one cycle but there is alot of debate about whether it's to ensure a healthy pregnancy or for dating reasons (don't want to have to waste money on scans).

I heard this on the radio today.

Lots of disagreement on this topic! My obstetrician had told me to wait one cycle and now my gp is saying to wait three. Doesn't matter for me as I've now had three. I just hope this article doesn't put undo pressure on anyone. Sometimes it just takes longer to conceive naturally and not meeting the 6 month mark won't put your baby at any more risk. But I'm glad to see that the "try right away" camp is getting further endorsement. Trying again has been a huge part of my healing and I couldn't imagine having to wait 6 months or a year to even start trying again. It took me 7 months to conceive the first time so odds are I won't be implanting anything within that time anyways.

I read this and it surprised me. Every woman's situation is different but six months seems like an awfully long time. I've never even read general medical advice telling women to wait that long; three months is usually tops. Considering how long it takes some of us to get pregnant they'd basically be asking to take a year out, and some of us don't have that much time to spare! Glad to hear the findings though.

It is all very confusing! I got pregnant 2 months after first MC and miscarried again....I guess I fall on the wrong side of their statistics!

According to the study my last pregnancy should have been successful, and so should the next one, but when you have already had two in a row, in a short space of time, I look at the study and I am like 'yeah right'. :growlmad:

I, like you starry night, am getting on with it and trying again after one AF, because I am not getting any younger, and to try again makes me feel happy and hopeful. I could NOT go and wait 6 months. :wacko:

In a way the study is good, because women like me who need to try again soon, can now, without feeling there is a risk, which is what women were always led to believe before.
:hugs::kiss::hugs::flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->