Afterbirth question?

LittleBoo

Intactivist Mummy!
Reaction score
I've heard that after you deliver bubs you're given an injection to speed up delivering the afterbirth., though you can do without it. What are the pros and cons of not having it does anyone know?

Hi Boo
There was a really good discussion on this not so long ago. Take a peak
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/596098-physiogical-v-managed-third-stage.html

Xxx

As always, Sarah Buckley (MD) is an excellent resource...

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/natural-approach-to-labour

a far as I am aware, there is no problem with delivering placenta naturally as long as you have had a good labour and birth and have not lost a lot of blood (this will affect your iron levels).

If your iron levels are too low (even before having baby) it will not be recommended you try naturally and syntometrine will be administered.

Also if you try naturally and it takes too long (I think most hospitals will allow 20 minutes or so for placenta to be delivered) then the danger is that it will not come away in one piece and some may still remain inside (thus causing internal bleeding)

I would say just see how your health is towards the end of your preganancy and also se how the labour and birth goes before making a decision...stay open to all options!

If your iron levels are too low (even before having baby) it will not be recommended you try naturally and syntometrine will be administered.

Also if you try naturally and it takes too long (I think most hospitals will allow 20 minutes or so for placenta to be delivered) then the danger is that it will not come away in one piece and some may still remain inside (thus causing internal bleeding)

!

I had low iron and still had a physiological 3rd stage. We waited to see what my loss was like and it was fine so i didn't have the synt.

There is HIGHER risk of retained placenta WITH the injection than without. 20 mins is not long at all for a physiological 3rd stage! Anything up to an hour is pretty normal and even up to 2 hours isn't outrageous.

i had a managed third stage with zane and the injection made me feel so ill after. i was sick, dizzy and just felt awful. the cord was clamped far too fast and i wasnt even given a chance to push it out as the mw just pulled the placenta out.

so this time i will be having a natural thrid stage, waiting till the placenta has stopped pulsating and then using a silk ribbon to clamp the cord instead of the horrible plastic ones. and then i will breastfeed to kick start to placenta coming away

There really isn't the hurry that you might think to get the placenta out. I've had four clients that had managed third stages (that's with the injection), who ended up with retained placentas. One had to wait 2 hours to go into theatre to have it manually removed, one 4 hours, one 6 hours, and one 6.5 hours. So I have no idea why some hospitals insist that it comes out within an hour, when if it's retained because of the injection they are happy to leave women whilst they deal with other emergencies.

The danger of it not coming away in one piece tends to also happen with a managed third stage as because cct (controlled cord traction) is used to pull it out, it can put too much pressure on the umbilical cord, causing it to break away.

Don't get me wrong, the injection definitely has it's place in modern medicine, but if no clinical reason is presented, what's the hurry? Women at that time are so busy cuddling and falling in love with their baby that the first hour flies by, nobody should be interrupting that precious time anyway, and all that cuddling and suckling encourages the placenta to detach too.

I think I read that you loose more blood post partum from having the injection too. Could be wrong though xx

Yep i read that too, i have read there is less lochia with a natural 3rd stage

I've still got quite low iron but will be planning to have a natural 3rd stage, MW was happy to 'let' me (sorry hate that phrase but have nothing else, brain is slow today!). :)

She supports you in a 'wait and see' approach maybe indigo? :lol:

Most women can birth the placenta naturally. The injection should not be given to all women. Only women who have more bleeding than normal and/or are not passing the placenta on their own. I've never had any injection and the placenta was always passed just fine and within 20 minutes.

Early cord clamping also increases the risk of retained placenta. This is because the plancenta doesn't transfer all the blood it needs to the baby, and therefore is bigger in size. The blood being transferred to the baby also encourages uterine contractions and the seperation of the placenta from the uterine wall. A managed third stage usually rules out delayed cord clamping as well.

Early cord clamping also increases the risk of retained placenta. This is because the plancenta doesn't transfer all the blood it needs to the baby, and therefore is bigger in size. The blood being transferred to the baby also encourages uterine contractions and the seperation of the placenta from the uterine wall. A managed third stage usually rules out delayed cord clamping as well.

That's really interesting actually and when you think about it totally makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->