Age old question-making up bottles!

choc

Reaction score
With ds1 I added formula to room temperature water but now I understand this is a big no no. So this time I plan to make them all in advance, adding formula to boiled water and then keeping in back of the fridge. Could anyone tell me what they do on a day out though? I assume the bottles will need to be kept cold and then warmed when needed? How exactly do you manage that? And also at night do you do anything different or just warm in the microwave? I will only want to bring to room temp really, never did warm bottles for ds1.
Thanks!

If I'm at home I use my prep machine but if we're going out, I fill sterilised bottles with boiling water and measure the milk out into individual storage pots. I then just use them as I need them over the course of the day. That method was also recommended by my midwife. I've never warmed formula, only expressed breast milk as it's kept in the fridge.

So you aren't adding the powder to boiling water when you go out?

No, I add it as I need it as it's only good for 2 hours once made up.

See that's the way I used to make all my bottles up but thought we weren't meant to do that now.
Thanks for replying!

See that's the way I used to make all my bottles up but thought we weren't meant to do that now.
Thanks for replying!

No problem. I'm going off what my midwife told me as I'm a FTM. They change the guidelines with everything so often, no wonder we all get confused!

I had my DS in 2012, and then it was and I do believe it still is recommended to make up the bottle with hot water, not boiling hot though. Because the formula is not sterile.

So you need the water to be hot so it can kill any germs/bacteria etc. in the formula. That is the reason for the hot water, it also mixes better and quicker/easier imo. The water doesn't have to be boiling hot, because that can also break down the nutrients in the formula.

Milk is good for 2 hours once you make it, and good for up to 1 hour once baby starts drinking from it. You can also pre-make them with hot water and store them in the back of your fridge for 24 hours.

For going out I would recommend you bring hot hot water in a thermos and make the bottle when needed in that moment. Fresh is best and is recommended, but obviously isn't the most practical for everyone. I would still highly recommend making it up with hot water.

Also there are on the go packets you could use, or the storage bottles in which each section you put enough in for 1 bottle and then you just 'pour' it in the bottle.

It also isn't recommended to warm up formula in the micro because 1. microwaves tend to warm up unevenly and you can risk getting hot spots. 2. microvaving water/pre-made formula can break down some of the nutrients inside.

Also never re-heat formula.

<3 hope this helps! you don't have to do the things i've said, but i have done a lot of research and this has helped me. Even though it could sometimes be inconvenient (Imo).

Also having a prep machine is handy :) though I've never had one before so I can't advice you on it.

I always take hot water and milk powder in pots then add when needed as above. I dont think formula is ment to be made up in advance even if then kept in fridge.

I got told not to make it up in advance and that you couldn't store it.
If we're going out I do what a PP does and pour hot water into a bottle and take a separate pot of powder.

When I'm in the house I just use my tommee tippee machine.

If I'm staying at my mams and I don't have my machine I fill all his bottles up with hot water and store them in the fridge, then when he needs one I add the powder and put it in the microwave. It does get hot spots but as long as you give it a good shake and leave it for 30 seconds or so it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->