Agreeing on a name is a struggle!

wannabemomy37

~ Waiting ~
Reaction score
Ok so we're expecting a little man in May and I really want to officially name him. I've been calling him Xavier but for whatever reason OH is not keen. He also has ZERO imput for any other name options. I've listed out a ton of names but he says no to everything. Now at this point I'm pretty convinced little guys name will be Xavier, so any suggestions don't do much for me anymore and I've stopped thinking about names altogether.

Is this normal? How do we come to a conclusion without a fight? We've been fighting constantly over everything and just not doing well as a couple right now, but trying to stick together for little man...help!?

My DH had his heart set on Abigail shortly after we found out LO was a girl and I didn't love it. But I came to realize that I really didn't have any other options to suggest. Maybe make it very clear that if your OH isn't going to contribute or let you know which names he DOES like, that you don't really have much choice but to go with what you've suggested. That's kind of what sunk it for me eventually, when my LO was born and I still didn't have a name for her that jumped out at me. If I said no to my DH's favourite name it would be for me to just consider a bunch of other names that I didn't really love and I didn't see the point in both of us picking something we didn't love. At that point I just defaulted to my DH's preference and I've come to love her name as it turns out.

No idea!!! My oh and I cant agree at all - we have argued non-stop as his names are awful and he hates mine!!! We only agreed on dd's name after she was born too but at least we had a list we agreed on with her! This one is proving impossible... I am surprised we are still on speaking terms at all!

No clue, sorry!

We had no problem picking out our previous 2 boys names. For some reason this time has been so challenging and we just don't agree.

To be honest, if he doesn't have any suggestions (he just doesn't likes yours), I would pick the name you like and thats what you go with in the hospital. There needs to be 2 people for a conversation.

My husband has opinions--mainly that he doesn't like my names :) So, we've kind of picked a couple names each, vetoed the ones we can't stand, and tried to find one we can both live with. I was hoping we'd find a name we both love, but it doesn't seem to be happening this time. But, babies grow into their name and I hope we both look back and see that whatever we settle on is what he's meant to be called. Hopefully you guys can get to a point where you're both presenting names. Who knows, maybe he'll have one that you absolutely love!

Ours is likely to be Nathan...but I was hoping for Grant (which was vetoed!) hahaha

Good luck :)

Oh and I didn't agree on names for our daughter. We were team yellow and I was convinced she was going to be a boy - I made a couple of suggestions which he didn't like and he kept harping on about the name Esme which I really wasn't keen on. I thought it was a bit weird sounding, then as soon as I saw her I knew esme was the right decision, it was just perfect. Your husband might feel the same way once your son is here - he doesn't need a name before he's born, it may all fit into place once he's born xx

LDC, I sure hope you're right! I keep calling baby Xavier...and OH hasn't really said anything, just thinks I'm crazy for talking to him even tho he's in my belly...I'm still counting on him just going with it, even if he's not fond of it to begin with.

mine is exactly the same. He has given me very specific thing he doesn't want. nothing starting with J F or B. our last name starts with an O and the initials would be horrible. he doesn't want a Jr. he says people would think he's ego was huge and people call him Junior sounds too cholo. also no family names because both of our families repeat names like you wouldn't believe. we have a very short list but we are down to looking at movie and tv credits looking for inspiration. He has already decided that no final decision will be made until he actually meets him. he has vetoed all of the names that I actually really liked which is frustrating. I stopped looking at the name lists a while ago. At this point I feel like I've looked at them all and the chances of something appearing on a list that we hadn't noticed before is slim. I just hope when he is actually born we will look at him and know what his name should be.

good luck, it's seriously the most intense and difficult decision that we have ever gone through together. I totally empathize with the frustration.

It's completely normal unfortunately! If it gives you hope my OH wasn't keen on our son's name when I suggested it during pregnancy, and we ended up compromising on a name we both thought was 'OK', but when he was born OH changed his mind suddenly, didn't want the OK name and said I should use the one I loved as it suited him!

Men are fickle creatures. just keep pushing it hahah.

My husband never likes anything i suggest, with our son i suggested LOADS of names and barely got "yeah that's okay i guess" on half of them. Eventually he picked one from early on that was "okay" he said it "grew on him" haha.

I would keep a few names you like in mind and when he sees him he will probably agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->