Alarmed at the amount of salt in a crumpet

Jkelmum

Reaction score
Made Lily crumpets for the first time today trying to vary her breakfasts ...anyhow shes just started munching and i go to read how much fat is in them for my diet to find 1 warbatons crumpet as 1grm of salt :shock: ..i took it off her replaced with ricecake while i made her toast ...but i dont remember even looking with my 3 children ..I feel guilty that i nearly gave her that much salt :wacko:

What a coincidence - I've just posted the same in another thread - you're right, it's warburtons, I couldn't remember which brand had so much salt in!

I was not impressed that Waitrose have 0.48g in one, but these are saintly compared to Warburtons!

OMG that is horrendous!! Can you buy low salt versions?

I've not seen any low salt versions, but there seems to be brands that have less in than others. They look fiddly to make...but I think I'll try!

I am disgusted tbh something i didnt think twice about giving her .

I bout 2 packs yesterday for a £1 in Morrisons, they are the love to toast ones and ive just checked them they have 1.1 gram of salt in each 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus i bought these for Katies brekkie as well.

V xxxx

Just checked my Tesco ones and they're only 0.5g. Varies loads!

i gave jesse a warburtons one for breakfast today! im gutted now, just glad he didnt eat it all, i wont be getting them again, maybe the tesco ones he can have now and again,

I've not seen any low salt versions, but there seems to be brands that have less in than others. They look fiddly to make...but I think I'll try!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/homemadecrumpets_70053.shtml

then you can remove the salt yippeee!!
I love crumpets!

OMG! :shock: We've only ever done the supermarket own brand ones, not sure how much salt is in those...

Adam had some Warburtons crumpet today - maybe I am a bad mother but I read the packet in the shop and still got them. figured the amount he'd eat would be minute for now, so he'd be ok. but when he's eating more I will get something less salty.

Mary Jo, I didn't worry too much before Ruby was eating much, either. But these days she would definitely eat a whole crumpet if offered so that would be a no go!

its mad. i chose crumpets over pancakes because pancakes have lots of MSG, yet the crumpets are full of salt.. its a lose lose situation!

my HV said to give LO crumpets!

One of the lowest crumpets I saw for salt was Warburtons, but even theirs contains 1g of salt! Which is the whole of a baby under 1s daily allowance.
By the time there is a bit of butter on them they are already over the limit.

Even just one of their pancakes has .54g of salt!

I haven't' made crumpets yet - we don't have the right rings, but I make my own pancake mix and I don't add salt (just milk, eggs and flour) - even the mixes you can buy for pancakes have salt in.

I do often wonder about HVs ; where do they learn this stuff :shrug: Next time you see the HV maybe you should remind her about the crumpet idea - and they ask if she knows it has the whole daily allowance of salt in just one crumpet!!

Lisa apparently you can use round pastry cutters instead of crumpet rings. I haven't tried yet but will update when I do! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->