Alcohol and Cigs.....

Smoking in the first trimester is so incredibly dangerous. :(

The reason why miscarriages tend to occur before 12 weeks is because the baby does 90% of it's development in the first trimester. It's when the nervous system and organs are made. If you smoke, you are replacing your babies oxygen with carbon monoxide, so they are taking that in when they are forming their brain, heart, lungs, etc.

I used to have a 20 a day habit and went cold turkey so know how hard it is.

If you feel that you HAVE to smoke then at least wait until after first tri,

I didn't smoke anyways, but I stopped drinking as soon as i got my bfp! I have a friend that smokes, which isn't so bad, but she does drink a lot! I'm not talking about having a glass or two of wine a week, I'm talking going out and getting leathered on the weekend. She is 24 weeks pg, her baby is under developing and this doesn't encourage her to stop. She has it in her head that because she did it on her 1st and that baby was fine, she can do it again with this one. She thinks it's nice that her baby is going to be small.

I can't understand her logic on this one. To me my baby means far to much to me to even chance the tiniest drink besides that, my OH would probably kill me if I did! She thinks its cute that her baby is going to be little and small regardless of the problems it could be born with. Am I crazy or does this kind of thing frustrate anyone else?

OMG does she know that both of her children could develop SEVERE learning and developmental problems because of her drinking! Many signs of FASD do not appear until the child starts school so she doesn't know yet if her other baby is affected or not. She is very probably giving her child permanent brain damage every time she goes out drinking.

Here is a link you may want to pass along to her.
https://www.come-over.to/FAS/faschar.htm

Pookies, Im shocked. It makes me soooooo angry. I would give anything to have my baby back, and there she is, bold as brass, practically killing hers. Wheres the justice?

I don't smoke anyway....not a big drinker, llike the occasional glass of wine or beer if i'm out but stopped as soon as I found out! Mean I couldn't have a birthday drink... but it doesn't bother me!!

Pookies I'm shocked by that to... life seems so unfair. So many woman do everything they can to protect there babies during pregnancy and still lose them...then there are people who don't seem to care and go on to have healthy little babies!

I could rant and rant about this ALL day! I don't get how the life inside her isn't enough encouragement for her to stop! It's not fair that people do everything by the book and as best they can for their babies, only to have them taken away when there are people that simply don't care and carry on drinking god knows how much and go on to have healthy babies. God forbid anything does happen to her poor baby but, there is absolutely NO justice! I have no problem with people that have the occasional glass of wine or the odd pint when pg, but when it's going out and getting trashed its completely irresponsible!

I don't know how she has the balls to go out and do it! I'd be mortified if someone saw me, being almost 6 months pregnant, getting trashed! Her OH doesn't seem to be bothered by this either... Pisses me off just a teeny tiny bit! *Rant over* :)

I could rant and rant about this ALL day! I don't get how the life inside her isn't enough encouragement for her to stop! It's not fair that people do everything by the book and as best they can for their babies, only to have them taken away when there are people that simply don't care and carry on drinking god knows how much and go on to have healthy babies. God forbid anything does happen to her poor baby but, there is absolutely NO justice! I have no problem with people that have the occasional glass of wine or the odd pint when pg, but when it's going out and getting trashed its completely irresponsible!

I don't know how she has the balls to go out and do it! I'd be mortified if someone saw me, being almost 6 months pregnant, getting trashed! Her OH doesn't seem to be bothered by this either... Pisses me off just a teeny tiny bit! *Rant over* :)

Hah, you're more controlled than me, I would slap her!

And here most of us are stressing about whether to have a cup of tea in the morning...or if a piece of chocolate will be too much caffeine for me and others don't even try, very sad. I feel sorry for her babies....

I know quite a few ppl who smoked and drank throughout their pregnancy and their babies were fine (although I have to say that with one of my friends who smoked throughout both pregnancies, her babies didn't look as healthy looking as other babies). I'm in the TTC stage and I'm trying to give up. Did really well this week actually, didn't smoke from Monday and didn't have any until Friday. I've found it really easy to give up smoking when I'm not drinking, but Friday at work is always pub day and the girls I go with smoke like anything so it's so hard and I caved in! Been smoking today as well.

A friend of a friend was pregnant and she was drinking, smoking and taking drugs(!!!) throughout her pregnancy and she had a perfectly healthy baby. This is what I find so hard, there are ppl out there who don't drink, smoke or do drugs throughout their pregnancy and have complications and ppl like her who do carry on have no problems whatsoever.

I definitely plan on giving up once i'm pregnant though. I don't think I could actually smoke whilst pregnant either. I'd feel guilty. I may have the odd glass of wine when I'm pregnant, but definitely not exceeding what is recommended.

And here most of us are stressing about whether to have a cup of tea in the morning...or if a piece of chocolate will be too much caffeine for me and others don't even try, very sad. I feel sorry for her babies....

Thats what I was thinking I feel so guilty about my morning cup of tea sometimes

I know quite a few ppl who smoked and drank throughout their pregnancy and their babies were fine

That's the problem though. You never know if they're fine. They may seem to be totally healthy, but maybe when they're older they will take a little longer to learn how to walk, or talk, or they won't preform as well as others in school. Or maybe they'll develop some allergies, or asthma later in life.

You have literally no idea what you could be doing to your child, and it shocks me that some people think it's ok to get drunk at a weekend, or smoke everyday. A friend of mine did both, a kept up her 20 a day habit. I admit I've found it very hard to stay friends with her. Especially when she says she's glad she smoked because it meant her baby was small and it was an easier birth.

I have smoked 20 a day for about 15 years, i smoked with my last 2 pregnancys that both ended in miscarriage at 6 weeks, went cold turkey as soon as I got my BFP this time and *touch wood* everything has been fine, I did however have my first glass of red wine last night now that i'm into the second trimester and it was lovely! have decided to have one or 2 glasses only at the weekends as a treat from now on, well only if i continue to fancy it of course! xx

I know quite a few ppl who smoked and drank throughout their pregnancy and their babies were fine

That's the problem though. You never know if they're fine. They may seem to be totally healthy, but maybe when they're older they will take a little longer to learn how to walk, or talk, or they won't preform as well as others in school. Or maybe they'll develop some allergies, or asthma later in life.

You have literally no idea what you could be doing to your child, and it shocks me that some people think it's ok to get drunk at a weekend, or smoke everyday. A friend of mine did both, a kept up her 20 a day habit. I admit I've found it very hard to stay friends with her. Especially when she says she's glad she smoked because it meant her baby was small and it was an easier birth.

I agree, u just dont know the effects! I was on holiday in magaluf in august and there was a heavly pg women there drinking ALL day on the all inclusive!

I dont even want to be around ppl that smoke and my friends are being really good and not even lighting up in front of me

This might piss a few people off but i'm sorry, I totally disagree with those who CHOOSE to smoke and drink during their pregnancy.

Dont get me wrong i'm not saying it is easy to give up bad habbits but for the sake of 9months and the health of your unborn child surely isnt the end of the world.

I did drink loads before i found out i was pregnant and you might think this is all easy for me to say seen as i've never smoked but if a doctor told me to give up chocolate 'cos it'd kill me or harm my baby i wouldnt think twice about giving up.

Youve got to remember, its your choice to smoke and drink not theirs. Just have a little more thought for your babies.

I also smoked throughout my first pregnancy..I was young and nieve (only 17) didnt really drink though.
My 2nd pg I smoked occasionally and didnt drink at all. but this pg I managed to quit smoking 4 weeks ago...yes I was smoking when I got my bfp and was on 20 a day, I managed to cut it to 5/6 a day and now dont bother with any. I havnt drank at all up until last night we went to pizza hut for tea and I had a glass of white zinfandel....I wont be making a habit out of drinking but will prob have a glass with my xmas dinner now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->