alcohol during the 2ww

bellaxgee

Alexa's mommy & TTC #2
Reaction score
how do you ladies feel about drinking in the 2ww?

We have an annual 4th of july bbq and I would like to relax and have fun without worrying about ttc.

last time I found out I was pregnant 2 days after going to bachelorette party and all was well with that pregnancy but I feel kind of guilty...and think maybe we just wait until after the party to start trying.

I drink in the tww. Not to excess but enough to enjoy myself/ be sociable.
Im not a big drinker anyway.but still after two back.to back pregnancy/breastfeeding stints. I'm not going to not have fun

we were planning on waiting until july to start TTC but now I'm thinking if I'm not going to find out until after the party then whatever. what are the chances it will happen the first month anyways...

I was drunk at least 2-3 times during my TWW. Conceived on NYE and then drank during football games.

When we first start TTC I didn't drink more than 1-2 glasses of wine in the whole TWW. Now, 8 cycles in....I drink in the TWW!

Not to excess, but I will have a beer or two or a couple glasses of wine if I feel like it.

I just read recently on another forum (looked this up myself yesterday because we were on vacation over the weekend and I drank a lot, am 6DPO today) and every other lady said they drank in the TWW before the BFP and the baby turned out fine.

thank you for your replies. I think I would just feel a little guilt especially since it will be our first cycle but YOLO lol

I have the whole guilty thing too. We are now 14 cycles in I think... My DH doesn't understand why I limit from O to AF consumption (not that I drink much anyways). He figures at that point many women who have wonderful healthy children spend the 2WW drunk.

I used to stay sober the complete tww.... Yehhh that stopped happening about 7 cycles in... Years ago now lol.
"Drink til it's pink" I say.
Seriously, sometimes a drink can just help you relax too. There's enough stress with TTC, let yourself have a night of fun.

I used to stay sober the complete tww.... Yehhh that stopped happening about 7 cycles in... Years ago now lol.
"Drink til it's pink" I say.
Seriously, sometimes a drink can just help you relax too. There's enough stress with TTC, let yourself have a night of fun.

Totally agree!! I feel a little (and I mean tiny) but guilty about drinking in the TWW, but heck...I read that in moderation it's completely fine as at this early stage (if you are pregnant) you aren't sharing anything with the baby yet.

Just think of back in the days when women drank and smoked throughout their whole pregnancy's, and I'm pretty sure some women do that now (but please don't!!!)

Besides that, think of all the women who had no idea they were pregnant and drank all the time.

I am on my 13th cycle ttc #1 and I haven't been much of a drinker throughout this, but I am starting to have a glass of wine when I feel like it. It's not going to hurt. I am a RN and have had so many people ask "well we are ttc and should I be drinking during that?" the answer is yes you can drink, but I wouldn't recommend drinking until you are vomiting. Just have a few drinks and enjoy yourself! A lot of us were made on weekends away where our parents were drinking and partying and we all turned out ok! Just don't over do it!

I'm quoting this women from another site I found because I thought it was interesting...the original poster asked women's views on drinking in the TWW:

I know I'm going to get hate mail for this, but in Europe and other places women drink at least a glass or two of wine a week straight through pregnancy (sometimes more) and have perfectly healthy babies. I, personally, don't think it does that much harm. You would really have to drink an awful lot for your baby to suffer ill effects. I'm not a big drinker to begin with (Don't get me wrong, I like my beer and wine every now and again!), so I tend to drink next to nothing during pregnancy (a glass of red wine every month or two-- actually recommended by my OB), but I think American women tend to beat themselves up way too much over drinking during pregnancy. You pretty much need to be an alcoholic for anything akin to FAS complications. Now, I'm not saying it's ok to be doing shots or anything like that at any point during your pregnancy. But I do agree that moderation is the key.

From the link below, this is the part that stood out to me in regards to the conversation:
"Negative effects appear to be related to relatively higher levels of consumption per occasion, and hence, to higher blood alcohol content levels. Thus, it appears to be very important never to consume more than one drink in any one day while pregnant."
So, again, moderation.

https://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/FetalAlcoholSyndrome.html

You know, I'm not much of a drinker anyways, so it's kind of a moot point. The only kind of alcohol I really like to drink is so watered down that it's basically soda at that point.

But I don't particularly avoid drinking in the TWW. From everything I've read, there isn't much being passed from mom to baby. So while I'm not going to go out and get smashed, I'm not avoiding alcohol like the plague. I'll still enjoy some hard lemonade and other such things until I get a BFP.

Enjoy it while you can!! I really enjoyed the social aspect of sharing a bottle of wine with friends or cracking a cider after a ball game. Why exclude yourself from those experiences each month if it may take a bit of time? Just try to enjoy yourself but be mindful. I always started testing at 9 dpo just to make sure. Best of luck!

I'm very cautious so I didn't drink in my 2ww .. and I know you think it won't happen in the first cycle but you never know - it happened to me in my first cycle!

The thing about indulging in things that we feel guilty about is that it feels great at the time but "the time" is quickly over - and then do you feel guilty and wish you hadn't or are you glad you did it? I don't know - to each their own. The first trimester is the most pivotal time not to drink where alcohol could harm the child, predict ADHD etc - but someone on here did say that nothing gets through in the 2ww. I don't know if that's true but if it is true it certainly makes it less problematic!

i think we will start ttc this month if I KNOW I wont find out until after the party. who am I kidding saying that I won't test before hand?! I will be POAS every chance I can. right now my period has not arrived - I think I O'd late bc I was sick and on antibiotics. so the way i'm going it may turn out that way.

Thank you for the advice ladies. don't get me wrong - if I do find out first, then I would definitely NOT drink. we also have a trip to Disney planned in the beginning of August...20 hrs in a car with morning sickness may not be ideal. lol I think i'm just nervous about baby number 2 and am making excuses to wait now that our TTC date is finally here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->