Alcoholic drinks

Tiger22

Reaction score
My best friends wedding is Saturday and I plan to have a few drinks at the reception, then will pump & dump at night & in the morning. How many drinks are you really allowed to have? I plan to drink these drinks from 4-8 pm then pump and dump in the morning and then would it be okay to breastfeed her at her next feeding which would be about 10 or 11am?

The general rule is one unit takes an hour to come out of your system, so an average sized glass of wine takes two hours. So as long as you don't go mad, you'd be able to have a few drinks then feed in the morning without a problem.

I've read that less than 10 percent of your alcohol intake actually makes it to your baby. If you're at the legal US limit to drive (.08) and you pump, your milk has less than .008 of alcohol. That's obviously not enough to harm your baby.

Pumping and Dumping still sounds like a good idea to me, but I think your time frame is perfectly ok.

You can pump and dump once at night, but there is no need to pump and dump in the am. Depending on your body frame (BMI) and how many drinks you have (type of drink as well), you might not even need to pump and dump at night. Rule is if you feel warm and tingly (like a buzz) do not breast feed.

After 8pm, if that is your last drink, what time is the next feeding? I would say if it's before 10pm, definitely pump and dump, but say if baby is sleeping and doesn't wake up until midnight to nurse, and you weren't drunk out of your mind at 8pm, by midnight you might be just fine and not need to pump and dump.

I say just drink TONS of water and pace yourself. I use to have a glass of wine (about 6oz) and be more than ok to nurse my son 2 hours later with no ill effects to either of us.

Have fun! :)

I've read it is a good idea to give 2 hours after your last drink. You don't need to pump to get rid of the alcohol, only if you are uncomfortable. I've also read that if you don't have a buzz then you are safe to feed, I try to go a step further by waiting the allotted time regardless of if I even got a buzz or not just to be safe.

I second staying hydrated, just for the fact that it is so important while breastfeeding anyway :)

Have a fun evening!

You should buy Milkscreen. It's on ebay, amazon, babiesrus, etc. Then you can test your milk and see if it's alcohol free.

1-2 drinks is fine or more if well spaced out. If you get drunk, then pump at night just for your boobs comfort sake. The alcohol leaves your milk like it does your blood so you don't need to flush out the bad or anything. Test in the morning with the milkscreen if it was a late drunken night and an early morning, but you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->